custom grips second attempt

custom grips second attempt

This is a discussion on custom grips second attempt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok guys i have already attempted to make custom grips myself that story here **warning lots of huge pics** http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tom-grips.html . i have found some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: custom grips second attempt

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Talking custom grips second attempt

ok guys i have already attempted to make custom grips myself that story here **warning lots of huge pics** http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tom-grips.html. i have found some problems with the first attempt firstly i think the color of the wood is to light. what do yall think?? any suggestions on wood?? another problem is it is a little to thick and i should have extended the grip further up the trigger guard to keep my finger from getting hit buy the trigger guard.. so i have a entire month starting next week tell the summer semester starts. i want to carve my second pair of grips what kinds of wood do u suggest styles to copy ext... thanks for your input!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

I checked out your first attempt, you should be proud, you did a heck of a job. How about Cypress wood for the new ones ?

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I checked out your first attempt, you should be proud, you did a heck of a job. How about Cypress wood for the new ones ?
    thanks! i like the cypress wood, but i was thinking something a little darker what do yall think?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

VIP Member
    Excellent set of grips, for a darker wood I would suggest black walnut, very easy to work and a nice chocolate color when finished with linseed oil. The only problem is being more open grained walnut needs a filler or more coats of linseed oil.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Excellent set of grips, for a darker wood I would suggest black walnut, very easy to work and a nice chocolate color when finished with linseed oil. The only problem is being more open grained walnut needs a filler or more coats of linseed oil.
    thanks!! walnut is what i was thinking as well. i think it would look good with the stainless!

GL man. You're first thread was awesome. I'm looking forward to the progress you make with these.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

Administrator
    It's great that you decided to make your own grips. That is a very rewarding project.
    If you are going to put the time in to make them then you should make them out of a nice exotic wood.

Take a lesson from Sarge and make them out of a really super nice wood. Then....you will really have something extra special when you are finished.

Yes, the exotic woods are harder and are slightly more difficult to "work" but, the end result is always worth it.

Also many of the exotic woods have a much higher content of natural waxes and oils and so when used for gun grips they will not get "oil soaked" with gun-oil like the softer and more common hardwoods.
    They will also sand and polish to a high natural shine so that you do not need to surface coat most exotic woods with a varnish or lacquer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's great that you decided to make your own grips. That is a very rewarding project.
    If you are going to put the time in to make them then you should make them out of a nice exotic wood.

Take a lesson from Sarge and make them out of a really super nice wood. Then....you will really have something extra special when you are finished.

Yes, the exotic woods are harder and are slightly more difficult to "work" but, the end result is always worth it.

Also many of the exotic woods have a much higher content of natural waxes and oils and so when used for gun grips they will not get "oil soaked" with gun-oil like the softer and more common hardwoods.
    They will also sand and polish to a high natural shine so that you do not need to surface coat most exotic woods with a varnish or lacquer.

where can i get these exotic woods? i would like to use some really nice wood but i don't know where to get it on the cheap!!

If you like walnut, you should check out African Blackwood. Much harder and denser with the rich dark color and also gives the benefits that QKShooter mentioned. I actually like working it better than walnut as it is smoother and shapes more slowly - keeps you away from those "oops!" moments when you press a little hard or have a heavier belt on than intended. English walnut is usually a good option if you want to stick with actual walnut also. Just google either one and websites will pop up that will sell you a smaller block of either.
    Good luck! I look forward to seeing your progress!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

You got any good pics of what the other grips looked like once they were on the gun? I know there is the one in the other thread, but I don't think it doesnt them justice.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45

Darker wood would be better IMO. A couple that I like for turning at Cocobolo and Olivewood. Olivewood has a light/dark contrast thing going, almost like fudge ripple ice cream. I would suggest finding a woodworking forum, introduce yourself, let them know about where you are, and ask for suggestions, chances are good someone may just give you what you are looking for.

I've thought about making custom wood grips for a 1911, but since I don't have one, I never have attempted it.

Something else you might want to look into is wet sanding with the oil, or other finish, it will take the slurry of sanded particales and fill in the pores in the wood leaving a much smoohter more polished surface.

I'm looking forward to the pics of your next grips.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

here is my first attempt they have 4 coats of linseed oil on them. the only camera i have is on my phone so pics are still a little grainy!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Darker wood would be better IMO. A couple that I like for turning are Cocobolo and Olivewood. Olivewood has a light/dark contrast thing going, almost like fudge ripple ice cream. I would suggest finding a woodworking forum, introduce yourself, let them know about where you are, and ask for suggestions, chances are good someone may just give you what you are looking for.

I've thought about making custom wood grips for a 1911, but since I don't have one, I never have attempted it.

Something else you might want to look into is wet sanding with the oil, or other finish, it will take the slurry of sanded particales and fill in the pores in the wood leaving a much smoohter more polished surface.

I'm looking forward to the pics of your next grips.

just took ur advice and posted on a woodworking forum hopefully i will get some good advice! seems like a lot of knowledgeable people there!

Those look good. Nice job on them.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    just took ur advice and posted on a woodworking forum hopefully i will get some good advice! seems like a lot of knowledgeable people there!
    Here are a couple sources for wood:
    Woodworking Plans & Tools | Fine Woodworking Project & Supplies at Woodcraft

Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com

enjoy, and my apologies in advance if you find these sites hazardous to your wallet
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links