Kimbers

This is a discussion on Kimbers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just wondering what the general consensus of this board is regarding Kimber 1911s. I personally love mine, but I have recently heard some remarks ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimbers

Kimbers

I'm just wondering what the general consensus of this board is regarding Kimber 1911s. I personally love mine, but I have recently heard some remarks saying that they are generally not good weapons.

Is it just me over thinking some gun shop banter?
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

Love mine. No problems encountered.

I love my Kimbers...never a problem with any of them.

(It's probably those left-wing extremists who are complaining...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I love my Kimbers...never a problem with any of them.

(It's probably those left-wing extremists who are complaining...)
    I love my Kimber
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    I've had 50/50ish luck with Kimber, when it comes to 1911s they are the ones I hate to love. I want one of each model, but I just can't get over the heart break caused by the lemons I had.

Some of the talk is warranted, but there seem to be many more Kimber owners that are totally happy with their guns than there are of us dissatisfied customers.

In short, the odds are in favor of a good running gun... But if you get a lemon, don't say you weren't warned.

I will stake my life and and family on my kIMBER

Administrator
    I've had good luck with them. Back in my 1911 days, they were all I'd buy. I still have a couple, but they never see action anymore. In fact, not many of my guns see much use do to ammo prices.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have been wanting to get one for sometime. I think they make some of the best looking 1911s on the market. I also really like all the "custom" features that pretty much come standard on all their models. I have never actually shot one however.

The only concern that I have regarding Kimbers, is that I have read many times on this forum site that Kimbers require a 400-500 round "break-in" period. After that, they seem to be very reliable. Of course I am not all knowing about all guns, but I am not aware of another firearm that people consistently will say require a "break-in" period.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    I have been wanting to get one for sometime. I think they make some of the best looking 1911s on the market. I also really like all the "custom" features that pretty much come standard on all their models. I have never actually shot one however.

The only concern that I have regarding Kimbers, is that I have read many times on this forum site that Kimbers require a 400-500 round "break-in" period. After that, they seem to be very reliable. Of course I am not all knowing about all guns, but I am not aware of another firearm that people consistently will say require a "break-in" period.
    Pretty much only 2 or 3 out of the 16 major 1911 makers require some sort of break in per the manufacturer, only two of them reference a break in period in the manual, that is Kimber and Para.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Pretty much only 2 or 3 out of the 16 major 1911 makers require some sort of break in per the manufacturer, only two of them reference a break in period in the manual, that is Kimber and Para.

Do you know why that is?
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    Do you know why that is?
    That's topic for another thread.

VIP Member
    My Tactical Pro II is my favorite 1911!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carried a Kimber Pro Carry II almost every day for 5 years. It had 4 FTF at about 200-250rds and then never another problem through the next 1900 rds. I had to sell it to help pay some medical bills. The good news is I finally got together enough $$ to buy a STI Ranger II for my new CCW piece. It's one sweet pistol.

I've talked to 4 other shooters that had one or more Kimbers and they all said theirs ran just fine right out of the box. Like any gun, you spend your money and takes your chances. All makers put out some lemons at some point.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have a kimber custom II which is a 5" barrell. I have had no problems with mine. It is my favorite firearm.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I like mine. And for me to say I like a bottom feeder, is a serious compliment.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links