Opinions on Rock Island Armoury 1911's

This is a discussion on Opinions on Rock Island Armoury 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to get some opinions from you 1911 guy's and gal's on the Rock Island Armoury 1911's. They seem to be reasonably priced. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Opinions on Rock Island Armoury 1911's

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225

    Opinions on Rock Island Armoury 1911's

    Just wanted to get some opinions from you 1911 guy's and gal's on the Rock Island Armoury 1911's. They seem to be reasonably priced. I am a Glock guy for the most part, but I have always liked the profile of the 1911. I am just not willing (or able) to pay $800 - $1,200 on a Springfield or Kimber right now.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array LeCalsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    2A Friendly State
    Posts
    722
    I think that RIA makes a great 1911 for the money. Just go into it knowing what it is. I have heard that they are very reliable and a good overall value. I think it's a great inroad to the 1911 addiction.

    The RIA 1911 is going to be a looser fit gun and tolerances are going to be looser as a result. That being said.....go for it
    2A is not negotiable

  4. #3
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,126
    The general consensus is that they are a good gun for the money. If I had a limited budget and saving longer weren't an option, I wouldn't hesitate to give a RIA Tactical a try. The one thing I would suggest is studying up on the 1911 in general and shop for a higher quality used gun. If you know what to look for and leave no stone unturned, odds are you can find a deal somewhere.

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The general consensus is that they are a good gun for the money. If I had a limited budget and saving longer weren't an option, I wouldn't hesitate to give a RIA Tactical a try. The one thing I would suggest is studying up on the 1911 in general and shop for a higher quality used gun. If you know what to look for and leave no stone unturned, odds are you can find a deal somewhere.
    The Taurus 1911 and Rock Island 1911 are evenly priced for the most part. Which is the better of the two?

  6. #5
    Member Array xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    151
    I like my Rock Island GI model.

    Shoots to point of aim (it's actually really accurate!) and no failures of any sort in the 300 rounds I've fired thus far.

    Taurus's run $500. or so here, I paid $380. +tax for my RIA, new in the box. I already have custom 1911's, so I went with the basic model.

  7. #6
    Member Array j21blackjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kingsland, Georgia
    Posts
    484
    I love my RIA full size, I paid $380 shipped off Gunbroker. I just looked and found Compact RIAs for $395. I've put over 300 trouble free rounds through mine. The only problems I've had are with cheap magazines exploding on me .

  8. #7
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,126
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    The Taurus 1911 and Rock Island 1911 are evenly priced for the most part. Which is the better of the two?
    Well, they're not that evenly priced, the Taurus' price is going up in most cases, the average range I'm seeing is anywhere from $600-$750, for that money you're looking at a used or new Colt, Kimber, Springer, S&W, etc.

    I'm biased against the Taurus, I don't think you're getting that much for your money. Taurus boasts this big list of things there are "Custom Features" when most of those things are available on what I consider the mid tier guns from Kimber, Springfield and S&W for not much more money.

    The only thing I give the Taurus over the Rock Island Tactical is that the Taurus has a forged frame rather than cast, to some this is a key selling point, to others it's not. It just depends on your preferences.

    My biggest issue with the Taurus is that it retains almost zero value if one decides to sell. I've seen a few people break even on the RIA guns, but the owners that decide to move a Taurus end up taking a bath on it. I think it's great that Taurus makes a lower priced 1911, but IMHO the price is outgrowing the gun.

    Have I shot either make? Nope.

    One other thing is that while the Taurus may look like a more attractive offer, they only offer 5" guns, if you want a lower cost compact, go RIA.

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well, they're not that evenly priced, the Taurus' price is going up in most cases, the average range I'm seeing is anywhere from $600-$750, for that money you're looking at a used or new Colt, Kimber, Springer, S&W, etc.

    I'm biased against the Taurus, I don't think you're getting that much for your money. Taurus boasts this big list of things there are "Custom Features" when most of those things are available on what I consider the mid tier guns from Kimber, Springfield and S&W for not much more money.

    The only thing I give the Taurus over the Rock Island Tactical is that the Taurus has a forged frame rather than cast, to some this is a key selling point, to others it's not. It just depends on your preferences.

    My biggest issue with the Taurus is that it retains almost zero value if one decides to sell. I've seen a few people break even on the RIA guns, but the owners that decide to move a Taurus end up taking a bath on it. I think it's great that Taurus makes a lower priced 1911, but IMHO the price is outgrowing the gun.

    Have I shot either make? Nope.

    One other thing is that while the Taurus may look like a more attractive offer, they only offer 5" guns, if you want a lower cost compact, go RIA.
    I looked at gun broker and an average stripped down RIA is $500. The Taurus has more attractive features, but is slightly more expensive (atleast on gun broker.com) Anyways I might need to just save up for a Kimber or Springfield. There's always the chance I might bite the bullet and buy an AR15 if the prices come down a little.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,170
    I have a RIA 1911 compact,It shoots well and I have never had a failure with factory ammo,some of my early reloads were a differtent story,I changed the firing pin spring to a x-strong wolff spring after I dropped my gun from about 3 feet straight down on the muzzle on a tiled concrete floor,and the inertia caused the firing pin to strike the primer.Yup It went bang and blew a chunk of tile out and not to much other damage thank god
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  11. #10
    Member Array HKkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    COMO/Hannibal
    Posts
    235
    Just remember..It seems like anymore you get what you pay for, so make sure you do your homework before buying.
    -Cody-

    HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by HKkid View Post
    Just remember..It seems like anymore you get what you pay for, so make sure you do your homework before buying.
    Thats why I bought a Glock for my carry gun.

  13. #12
    Member Array Airedale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    456
    I ran ~5,000 rounds through my tactical last year in USPSA matches. I have a RIA .38 Super with a Kart 9mm barrel in it with many thousands of rounds through it (USPSA again) and a compact .45 I sometimes carry that has been flawless.

    RIA has a superb customer service reputation for those who have needed it.

    My back up to the tactical, last year, was a Wilson CQB in .45 ACP. I shot the RIA as well and it was just as accurate for me. I sold the Wilson.

    I'm sold on them.
    Dave

  14. #13
    Member Array Arisin Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    450
    I've had RIA for 3+ years now. Bought it new for $280. It's been flawless in performance and it's extremely accurate. I think it's a sleeper. The best deal for the money.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    huntsville AL
    Posts
    527
    +1 on RIA i have the plain jane mil spec one full size no problems so far!! paid $350 for it new!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

  16. #15
    Member Array forestranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    318
    A GI, Tactical, & Compact Tactical have all done fine. The Tacticals are tight w/to me very good triggers and very accurate. From what I've read, good customer service...not that I've needed it. They shoot as well as my Colts ever have?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Tweeking a Rock Island, 1911
    By Demeo2169 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
  2. rock island 1911
    By mutumbo in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: June 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
  3. Rock Island Armory 1911
    By buckeyeinok in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: May 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM
  4. Rock Island 1911
    By Ben Hennessy in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: August 28th, 2006, 11:05 PM
  5. Thoughts on a Rock Island 1911
    By dpesec in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Search tags for this page

laser sights for rock island 1911
,
ria 1911 laser
,
ria compact
,
rock island 1911 crimson trace
,
rock island 1911 laser
,
rock island 1911 laser grips
,
rock island armory 1911 government model
,
rock island armory 1911 laser
,
rock island armory government
,
rock island armory government model
,

rock island armoury

,
rockisland armoury
Click on a term to search for related topics.