Revolver for summer pocket carry.

This is a discussion on Revolver for summer pocket carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the weather begins to heat up I am thinking about a 5 round .357 revolver. I am really diggin the S&W 640pd but it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver for summer pocket carry.

Revolver for summer pocket carry.

As the weather begins to heat up I am thinking about a 5 round .357 revolver. I am really diggin the S&W 640pd but it is sort of giving me sticker shock at almost 1k. As I was poking around in the gun stores I saw a Rossi. The price is a third of the S&W but in guns as with anything you get what you pay for. I am truely concerned that it may be a revolver of a quality eaqual to a Hi-Point. I did a search for "Rossi" on this forum and for "Rossi revolver reviews" online and did not turn up anything comprehensinve.

The Charter Arms was a little pricier than the Rossi so this make is in the running too.

How many of you have fired 500+ rounds through a Rossi and have a favorable impression? Anyone find the make to be a lemmon?-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

I own a Rossi I picked up almost 20 years ago. It is a bit too big and HEAVY in all SS 4" for CC but it IS my go to gun at the house.

Rossi makes a great gun for the money and I have NEVER had an issue. The SS quality is excellent aqnd the wheel timing and action is smooth and flawless. I just had it to the range last month and put 150 rounds through it. Flawless firing and a decent pattern. (I still anticipate the pull on the .357 until I have put a box through it)

I don't think you can go wrong with Rossi for the $$$
    2A is not negotiable

I've been considering the same, although I have no reason not to love my Kahr.

On a side note - is there a seasonal trend for pocket pistols? I know that when I was a car salesman, convertibles were in demand when the weather was good, 4x4's when it was bad, and they were priced accordingly.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
    As the weather begins to heat up I am thinking about a 5 round .357 revolver. I am really diggin the S&W 640pd but it is sort of giving me sticker shock at almost 1k. As I was poking around in the gun stores I saw a Rossi. The price is a third of the S&W but in guns as with anything you get what you pay for. I am truely concerned that it may be a revolver of a quality eaqual to a Hi-Point. I did a search for "Rossi" on this forum and for "Rossi revolver reviews" online and did not turn up anything comprehensinve.

The Charter Arms was a little pricier than the Rossi so this make is in the running too.

How many of you have fired 500+ rounds through a Rossi and have a favorable impression? Anyone find the make to be a lemmon?-Jay

Skip the space age metals at high prices and get an airweight. Only 2 - 3 ounces heavier, just as functional, but less than half the price.

As the weather begins to heat up I am thinking about a 5 round .357 revolver.
    Any particular reason to go with .357? With modern ammo, terminal ballistics of a .38 special are quite good. A .38 is going to be easier to shoot and cost less than a .357, particularly when it comes to lightweight guns.

As the weather begins to heat up I am thinking about a 5 round .357 revolver. I am really diggin the S&W 640pd but it is sort of giving me sticker shock at almost 1k.
    Where is this? I got mine brand new for about less than $600... about a year ago.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have a S@W 442 and love it for my pocket. I just left the gun shop and saw 4 or 5 S@W airlite's for les then $500.00 keep looking for a Smith. Good luck!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

I am gonna cast another vote for the SW 442/642!

They are Smiths best selling revolver for a reason.

There's a section for Rossi only owners over
    at Taurus Armed.

I have read both good/bad comments about them.

Rossi Firearms

BTW I paid 225.00 for my Rossi brand new in box. I have put over 3000 rds through it without issue.

I do like the S&W airweights a lot but I don't like a hammerless revolver. JMHO. I am still a fan of DA / SA whenever possible. Its all about choice
    2A is not negotiable

Perhaps a S&W Airweight?

Just picked up a brand new 642 without the internal lock for $445. Yes, it's a .38 rather than a .357 but, after shooting it, I can't imagine what shooting so light a gun with .357 rounds would be like. And, with the short barrel, not sure how much more powerful a 357 would be over a good 38 +P lead jhp. You might want to try both if you have a chance and then decide. In any event, $1000 is way high for a pocket wheelgun.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    I am gonna cast another vote for the SW 442/642!

They are Smiths best selling revolver for a reason.
    Another endorsement for the 442/642 S&W revolvers. Don't leave home without it.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I can not give insight on the rossi or that model smith but I currently carry a tuarus 650 CIA .357 mag. i love it for : the price, the stopping power, its versatile - you can use .38 and the size. one thing im not crazy about is the weight at 23 oz and have been considering trading in for a M&P 340 which is half the weight..

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    S&W 642 would be fine....or look at some Taurus model 85's...I have the 85UL and it works just fine for front pocket carry in the summer.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Smith and Wesson 637 Airweight .38+p for me. I have owned Rossi revolvers and while I had no problems the Smith J-frames just seem to melt into my hand and are a joy to carry. At $430.00 the S&W is not a whole lot more than the Rossi. Besides it just feels better to carry a S&W thats made in the USA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links