Opinions on m&p340

Opinions on m&p340

This is a discussion on Opinions on m&p340 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am looking for opinions and thoughts from owners of the smith and wesson model M&P340. My current snubbie is the taurus 650 CIA .357 ...

Thread: Opinions on m&p340

Opinions on m&p340

i am looking for opinions and thoughts from owners of the smith and wesson model M&P340.
    My current snubbie is the taurus 650 CIA .357 mag and has been for over a year, its my main carry gun but the weight is begining to be an issue when i need to just slip it in my pocket and go. it tends to "weigh down" a bit. That being said, i am considering the possible trade "UP" to the m&p 340 with it weighing half and giving me all the nice features. i purchased my t650CIA for $350 cash and the m&p340 NIB is about double. so i will have to come out of pocket, but maybe i can find used and not shell out so much.
    thank you in advance for sharing your personal thoughts on this piece.

Amazing gun. I have it with the laser grips and it disappears in the my pocket (with a Mika pocket holster). 357Magnum rounds are a bear to shoot with it though - they pack quite a kick. But in a real defensive situation, the adrenaline dump will absorb those feelings.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    Amazing gun. I have it with the laser grips and it disappears in the my pocket (with a Mika pocket holster). 357Magnum rounds are a bear to shoot with it though - they pack quite a kick. But in a real defensive situation, the adrenaline dump will absorb those feelings.
    I agree with randy. The trigger on mine is much smoother than my 642, not saying that you are going to do this, but if I was only going to carry 38's in it, than I would get the 442/642 with Crimson grips for about the same price. You will not be able to tell the difference in the weight between those.

I absolutely love mine. I carry mine with hot .38 special loads. Buffalo Bore 158 gr. +p. Like others have said, in a defensive sit. it wont make a difference, but I just find .38 special to be much more accurate and I can get back on target quicker. Now on my Ruger SP101 in .357, it always is stoked with .357 ammo for carry.

I found mine at Shooters of Jacksonville. I got it about a year ago and think I paid around $550. I just looked and the prices have gone up quite a bit. They only have the Chiefs Special, and it is the M+P360, with an exposed hammer.

Here are some pics of mine. Good luck.

I know this don't help in regards to an opinion, but if you can afford to keep your piece and buy a new one do it! I ALWAYS regret selling or trading a firearm after the transaction. I sold two of mine and have been kicking myself ever since. I don't sell anything now. Just my .02
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

to glock 23 fan, i do understand your train of thought there since i have thought that too. Its just nice to see your arsenal collection grow.

340 PD = good gun !! I like mine. yes, the 357's kick a bunch....is that a surprise to anyone ???

I have a friend with the PD model...it has a titanium cylinder and the M and P had the steel cylinder which would mean a little more wieght for the recoil he loves his by the way.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Mine has the CT grips and I love the thing. I carry it as my primary at work and BUG duty the rest of the time. I think it's just about perfect.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

THUMPER - - - that looks beautiful.

I have the exact same rig as THUMPER, I LOVE it! with the extra padding on teh backstrap of that crimson trace grip the .357's dont feel all that bad - I have put probably 4-500 rounds of .357 125 and 158 grain through mine with no boo boo's on the hands. In the dark it looks like a dragon. I call mine "noisy cricket"
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

i have the 360 with the ctg and it is the easiest gun for me to carry, i carry it in a iwb all the time, a little over 2 years now. if you like snubs i think you would be very happy.

I have a SW 638 which is the airweight with a shrouded hammer. I love the thing and it shoots unbelievable in accuracy for a snubbie at close range. I keep mine loaded with Corbon ammo.

Sponsored Links