SIG Grip Thickness?

This is a discussion on SIG Grip Thickness? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a Sig 229 Equinox/Elite and I love the wood grips that come on it, but they are a tad too thick for ...

Thread: SIG Grip Thickness?

SIG Grip Thickness?

I am considering a Sig 229 Equinox/Elite and I love the wood grips that come on it, but they are a tad too thick for my hands. I also held a 226 and 250 with factory plastic grips and that was more comfortable than the wood grips.

I was wondering how the plastic standard grips compare to the Sig Aluminum grips and the wood grips? Which is the thickest to thinnest? Based on my quick research it seems that the thinnest are the Aluminum then the standard factory plastic, then the Wood grips are the thickest - can anyone confirm or deny this??
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 25th, 2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: sp

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Don't forget to checkout the Hogue aluminum grips. Pricey but supposedly very thin and feel good.

Are the Hougue thinner than the Sigs?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The aluminum grips panels offered by SIG are indeed thinner than the factory plastic. This thinness extends to the backstrap area, so the reach to the trigger is a bit shorter as well. The difference is slight, just a small fraction of an inch, but noticeable.

Of course, yes, the wood grip panels are the thickest.

I obtained my aluminum SIG panels as pre-owned. They feel good, but the grip screws kept loosening, so the factory plastic is back in place until I get around to degreasing and loctiting the relevant bits.

Believe aluminum are thinnest

I have a Sig P239 that uses Hogue aluminum grips I bought to replace the original plastic, and the aluminum is thinner. I believe the greater strength of aluminum over plastic allows a thinner grip panel to be fabricated without the risk of cracking. I like the feel and look of aluminum grips, and have several pairs of them, including Alumagrips on 1911 pistols.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Aluninuim grips are great BUT $150! Sorry I will wait. They were only $60 for my 1911.

My Equinox grips look great but I really miss the lack lines or stippling on the backstrap.

I faced the same problem when I bought my 229 SAS; the wood grips were beautiful but too thick for me.

The ones I put on are plastic SIG grips that were checkered by Hogue. While I like them, I'd prefer the aluminum grips, which I think are even thinner.

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

EAJ
    Here’s a P239 SAS with Nill Grips. The Nill’s are thinner than the SIG SAS wood grips, and thicker than the SIG plastic grips. I believe that SIG manufactures a “slim” plastic grip for the P220. You may want to see if its’ available for the P229.

Links