9 mm vs. .40 S&W

This is a discussion on 9 mm vs. .40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I bought my M&P 9 mm I was originally planning to buy a .40 S&W mainly because my fiancee cannot work the action on ...

Thread: 9 mm vs. .40 S&W

9 mm vs. .40 S&W

When I bought my M&P 9 mm I was originally planning to buy a .40 S&W mainly because my fiancee cannot work the action on my .45 ACP and she isn't comfortable with the recoil though she is quite capable of keeping my dad's old Colt 1911A1 cycling. (A fact she is very proud of) She is all of 5'5" and 120 lb. soaking wet.
    The guy at my local gun store told me that a .40 has more recoil than the .45 due to the higher velocity... is this true? I have fired a .40 and when it was first handed to me the recoil felt like that of a 9 mm.
    My fiancee can work that action of the 9 though I don't know if she can work the .40 yet. I am just wondering if it would be worth while to bother buying one.
    My big concern is that I have a weapon in the house that she can load and operate should, heaven forbid, the need arise.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I took three Glocks to the range: a 9mm, a .40 and a .45. Lightest recoil was the 9mm, followed by the .45, then the .40. I was a bit surprised. The .45 was actually easier to shoot than the .40.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

EW3
    I had a Kahr in .40 and hated it; too much recoil and muzzle flip.

I like 9mm and have to agree that .45 seems to have less recoil than .40
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Yep, the .40 is snappier than the .45

VIP Member
    I shoot all 3 calibers. The 9mm being the lightest recoil of the 3. Between the .40 and .45 I find it hard to decide. I think this is due to the difference in type of recoil you get. The .45 seems to push back into your hand, where the .40 tends to flips upward with it's recoil. If you have a range available that rents guns, let her try both and see which is most comfortable for her. She may find the .40 is no problem for her to handle.

The size of the handgun has a great deal to do with felt recoil. The 40sw is so close in diameter and the grain weight in bullets of a 45acp it just seems like it has more "kick" but in truth it's just "Louder". The 9mm is faster than both but the bullets are so much smaller than the other two the kick is noticably less. Wanna see "felt recoil" shoot a 10mm. It's the same diameter or bullet size as the 40 with the speed almost of the 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Yep, the .40 is snappier than the .45
    I agree. More so in the compacts or sub-compacts especially.

I don't know about more recoil overall, but the recoil on a .45 is more of a push, as opposed to the snap of higher velocity rounds like the .40.

I prefer .45, but would also enjoy the 9mm...I have several pistols in both. (I prefer both over the .40.OMO)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In my case, I have a custom Colt Gold Cup Series 80 shoots like a dream and hasn't jammed with over 1000 rounds. Great gun very accurate but I can't control the recoil as well as I can with my Glock 23 for that second follow u[p shot. For me the recoil on the Glock is a piece of cake not so with the 45 ACP. 9MM recoil is the nicest of the bunch and it can be an accurate round but I'm not relying on it for self defense no way.

I have both a .40 (P229) and a .45 (GSR). My wife put about 100 rounds through my .40 without any trouble. Her problem is that she can't rack the slide of either one. When we were at the range she tried to rack a friends well used G17. It was easy for her, but the spring was worn a lot. The .40 is more of a snap than the .45. I am faster, more accurate and find it easier to carry the .40. The easier to carry may be the difference in hoster availability. The .40 carries 12+1 rds and the .45 carries 7+1.

If I could only have one it would be a tough choice. I need a third light carry for summer, something like a .357 airlite, .380 PPK, or a sub-compact 9mm.

Links