22LR for self defense?

This is a discussion on 22LR for self defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't laugh, I'm serious. I have a Ruger Mk III and it has two 10-round clips and it's easy to shoot. I bought a Judge ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22LR for self defense?

22LR for self defense?

Don't laugh, I'm serious. I have a Ruger Mk III and it has two 10-round clips and it's easy to shoot. I bought a Judge for home defense but it kicks like a mule and my wife ain't crazy about guns to begin with and this would be a lot easier for her to manage if God forbid we had a home intrusion when I'm not home. The ammo is cheaper and a lot easier to find. Taurus also has a snubbie that holds 9 rounds and is concealable. I know it's a small caliber but it should run anybody off when you start slinging bullets through the air at 10 rounds a clip. I just bought my first gun when Obama got elected (joined the NRA too) and I would like to get my CCW eventually so I can carry a gun hidden in my car (not necassarily on my person) and not have to worry about different state laws. I enjoy reading all of the posts on this sight and was wondering about some of your opinions.
    Ruger MK III, Taurus Judge, Ruger P95, Rossi 357 Snubbie, NRA

2. Remove Ads

I don't think laughing is my first reaction...

JD
    Administrator
    I think the failure rate of .22 ammo alone should disqualify it from defensive work.

Personally, I like the idea of a shotgun for home defense. If someone breaks in, there is a good chance I would greet them with a 12 gage filled with buckshot. Those also kick, but it is like a bunch of .22s going off at once.

I'm not going to make fun of people who defend themselves with .22s as long as I am not willing to stand in front of one and take a few shots. However, I think most experts will recommend something bigger.

unreliability of rimfire cartidge would rule it out - sure, they'll kill if you're a hitman but likely won't stop an agressive intruder

just rememberd - there was a shooting years ago where I work - .22 multiple to the abdomen - woman was heavy-set - didn't even get through the fat

Dude...it's a bullet. Coming from a firearm....it will kill. My uncle was killed by a .22

We can him and haw about it 'till the Sun implodes...bottom line, it's a bullet and were it's put on target matters...as with any bullet of any other size.

Personally I use .45acp....to get to my 12gauge.

If it's what you got then use it. It is a deadly weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    "Dude...it's a bullet. Coming from a firearm....it will kill. My uncle was killed by a .22"

Yes, a .22 can kill. But, the placement has to be right. And, while I certainly try for good shot placement, when trying to defend myself, I want to have a caliber that does a better job. I may consider down the road the Ruger LCR for a BUG, when it comes to my primary carry gun, I don't want anything smaller than 9mm, and preferably .45.

It's better then nothing. But I suggest getting a 20 gauge with low recoil buck shot for your wife. If she's not crazy about guns to began with, then she's probably not going to be doing a lot of practice/fun shooting. So what's it going to matter if you're hiding a 22lr or a 20 gauge? You could take her skeet shooting with the 20 gauge to show her how to use it. If she likes it, great. You can go regularly for practice. If she doesn't, then at least she knows how the gun works and knows how it feels. Then after that you can just quiz her with the shotgun unloaded once in a while to make sure she remembers. Just my 2 cents.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Funny you should post this. Just the other day, I was talking to a clerk and he said that .22 LR will penetrate a kevlar vest. Has to do with the ballistics. Said only a plate will stop it. Not sure if that is true.

We did a quick ballistics check. It is half the weight of a .223 round but at close distances, it could do the trick just as well as a military round. Or not. Would anyone else like to chime in?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Any bullet can kill, but a .22 isn't as powerful as a 9mm or 380 that I prefer.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

It has been said that the .22 round has killed more human beings than all other calibers combined (most likely can't be proven but still interesting). Just the sight of a gun will scare off 75% of intruders. While I've never been shot with one, I'm sure it doesn't tickle. Any gun is better than no gun!

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Funny you should post this. Just the other day, I was talking to a clerk and he said that .22 LR will penetrate a kevlar vest. Has to do with the ballistics. Said only a plate will stop it. Not sure if that is true.

We did a quick ballistics check. It is half the weight of a .223 round but at close distances, it could do the trick just as well as a military round. Or not. Would anyone else like to chime in?

A .22lr will not penetrate a vest,even when fired from a rifle!

And regardless of range,a 5.56 rd. has far superior ballistics compared to a .22 rimfire.

Maybe the .223 is the .22 the clerk was speaking of.

I've also heard that the .22 caliber of gun that kills the most people. And yet the anti-gun people want to ban other higher caliber guns? It makes you wonder who is doing their "fact checking."
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The .22LR in your hand is better than the machine gun locked in your safe.
    Everyone starts somewhere...you'll eventually work your way up.

As far as gun laws on what's in your glove box...that can vary from state to state, too! With a CCW permit, why wouldn't you want it on your person?

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    It's not. The lowest protection level vest (NIJ Level I) stops .22LR

The comparison here between .22lr and .223 is very flawed.

Yes, the .22lr round is around 1/2 the weight.

But, that's not the whole story, by a long shot.

The .22lr leaves the muzzle at ~1600 feet per second, with an energy of 191 ft/lbs. (Using CCI Stinger as an example).

The .223 Remington leaves the muzzle at 3,200 fps, with a muzzle energy of 1,282 ft/lbs.

As you can see, the .223 is vastly more energetic.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links