Glock didnt fire. TWICE!

This is a discussion on Glock didnt fire. TWICE! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. New to the forum and have a question. Ive got a new glock 23. Ive put about 150 cheap fmj rounds through it so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock didnt fire. TWICE!

Glock didnt fire. TWICE!

Hello. New to the forum and have a question. Ive got a new glock 23. Ive put about 150 cheap fmj rounds through it so far. Shoots great. The problem i had was it mis-fired twice in that 150 rounds. The ammo was a few years old and i could see where the pin hit the primer. It just didnt go off. Should i right this off as bad ammo or get the gun looked at? I would hate to "need" it and it go click and not boom!

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I'm no gun expert, but if the pin hit the primer it sounds like a couple of bad rounds to me. Especially since it's older ammo--as long as it fires slightly newer and higher quality ammo I wouldn't worry about it. If not, I'd get it seen by a pro.

Welcome to the Glock club, I love my 23 and am sure you will too with some quality lead in it!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Well. Define "cheap" rounds. Could be the ammo.

My first thought.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Sounds like an ammo issue. If there is a visable primer strike, the ammo would seem to be the problem. Change ammo and take the gun to a gunsmith, just for a look over.
    God Bless America!!

Yup sounds like ammo. My snubbie doesn't put half the dent in the primer my Glock does and I haven't had a single issue with it yet. I have about 850 rounds through my 23 so far. The only issue period was running some Blaser ammo. Two FTE's on the first two boxes. Both times it felt just a little soft and had a stovepipe. Started using Speer Lawman practice ammo and not a single issue since. Congratulations on your G23.

Im thinking it is an ammo problem to. As far as "cheap", it was winchester 180 gr fmj. It is name brand but not the best you can get. It was just some i bought to take to the range. I have had it for 3 maybe 4 years. Maybe longer. I bought another 100 rds yesterday. I run it through it next friday and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    I'm no gun expert, but if the pin hit the primer it sounds like a couple of bad rounds to me. Especially since it's older ammo--as long as it fires slightly newer and higher quality ammo I wouldn't worry about it. If not, I'd get it seen by a pro.

Welcome to the Glock club, I love my 23 and am sure you will too with some quality lead in it!
    Ive been in the glock club before. This is my third. Ive just never had this happen before.

Is this pistol brand new,or just new to you?

If it is used ,learn how to detail strip the slide,(learn this even if pistol is new)and make sure the striker channel is clean,a striker channel filled with brass shavings/oil/gunk, is the #1 reason for misfires in glocks,and a very easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post

If it is used ,learn how to detail strip the slide,(learn this even if pistol is new)and make sure the striker channel is clean,a striker channel filled with brass shavings/oil/gunk, is the #1 reason for misfires in glocks,and a very easy fix.
    Doesn't matter, Glocks second rate. I'd trade it for an XD, better quality, more reliable.

Just kidding! Thought I'd get a quick stir out of you Glock guys.
    My dads Glock did the same thing the other day, he was using some sort of Remmington rounds. He changed ammo and the problem was solved. Cleaning the striker if it's dirty will help tremendously.

My G23 has never failed to fire. I believe it's the "older, cheap ammo". Pony up for a few hundred rounds of quality stuff to really evaluate your Glocks performance AND to gain some trust back with your EDC.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My question is this. Was this the first time you used this brand of ammunition? If it is it could just be a bad day at the factory. That day quality assurance wasn't doing their job.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

WWB that is a few years old certainly should not be having misfires unless it was contaminated somehow. Winchester doesn't use particularly hard primers so that shouldn't be an issue. Are the rounds firing on the second strike? If so, it's probably not the ammo.

Have you put any cleaning solvent or lubrication in the striker channel (the little hole in the breechface)? The channel should be kept clean but completely dry. Even thin dry film lube will add friction and resistance to the striker's movement, which can lead to light primer hits as you're seeing.

Is the firing pin indent centered on the primer? If not, your gun probably is not locking into battery fully, which can cause not only light primer hits but other more spectacular problems if you're unlucky. Make sure the rails are clean and properly lubricated and that your recoil spring is in good condition.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

Most likely an ammo issue
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd say its the ammo as well but as other have said try cleaning out the firing pin and it's channel as well.

Should be done on a brand new gun as well. I would recommend a full strip (as far as the manual specifies or the knowledge level of the owner), inspection and cleaning of any gun coming into the hands of someone for the first time, either from a pawn shop or from the factory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links