Sig Sauer P220R Carry SAO: A Range Report

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P220R Carry SAO: A Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past Saturday, I went to the range with my new Sig P220R Carry SAO. Due to the current state of the Ammo supply, I ...

Thread: Sig Sauer P220R Carry SAO: A Range Report

Sig Sauer P220R Carry SAO: A Range Report

This past Saturday, I went to the range with my new Sig P220R Carry SAO. Due to the current state of the Ammo supply, I only took 100 rounds of .45ACP with me. To prepare for its christening, I wiped off the factory grease and put a little CLP on the frame rails. Unfortunately, I was not shooting at my usual range; they didn't allow any shooting from a holster, and no rapid fire.

I am sure that there will be few revelations in this report for those of you in the know. If you haven't ever handled a Sig though, you don't know what you're missing.

The Sig P220 fits my hand like a glove. It points incredibly naturally and is perfectly balanced. Though these qualities are subjective, and hardly universal, they seem to be qualities many people find in a Sig and are very important for me.

Now, on to the shooting!

The Sig Classic is often acclaimed for having the finest out of box trigger. I am not going to disagree with that point. The Single Action trigger is light and crisp with little take-up and almost no over-travel. Sig's website says that it breaks at 5 pounds, but mine feels lighter. I shot at 25 yards at a 14" target. My first few mags were all over the place, but all on the paper. This is normal for me; the whole new gun thing. Excitement does that to me (but oddly, not during life threatening situations - lost control of my car at 70MPH once - I was completely steady). I digress. The very first impression about the gun was that it was smooth. There is no other way to describe the action. It feels nicer in operation than my Combat Tupperware (and any other gun I've every shot). My second impression is that this gun soaks recoil. It barely feels like a .45. It is more than the weight of the gun too. I had a SA GI Champion. The same size (relatively) as the Sig, but it weighs 7 ounces more. The perceived recoil with the 1911 was heavier. I'm not sure how, but the Sig puts less of the energy into MY hand (YMMV). Once the new gun jitters were over, I was able to settle down and really run the gun. I shot with a conventional sight picture, placing the front sight just below the bullseye. My shots all fell low. I put the front sight on the bullseye, and I put the remaining ~70 rounds through one ragged hole about 2.5" across just below the bullseye in the center ring. (It could be that the gun's sight picture is meant to be this way - I know some guns are designed this way. Maybe I need to RTFM). I usually pull my shots a little low and to the left (and it gets worse when I don't practice - and I haven't been to the range as much as I should lately). With the P220, once I settled into the gun, I was only 1.5" off of the bullseye with about 70 rounds through a 2.5" group. The best group I've been able to pull off with my Combat Tupperware at 25 yards is 3" (to me, a group needs to be 50 rounds or more). I am incredibly pleased with this gun. It is everything a weapon should be. It ran reliably right out of the box, is way more accurate than I am, and it carries Sig's legendary "To Hell and Back Reliability".

What more can I say? It's a Sig Sauer. My Glock, S&W M&P, & SA XD are all like a Dodge. They do their job fine; and will run forever if you take care of them. The Sig is like a BMW. It does everything the Dodge does, but it does it smoother, faster and with more precision (and at about 35-40% more on the cost). This could almost be my ONLY handgun.

A question for the Sig Guru's. Should I be worried about the sights pushing a little low? I need to shoot it some more to be 100% sure that it isn't operator error.

Now everyone needs to stop buy .45ACP ammo so the prices will come down!

Questions? Comments? Please discuss.

*****Note: All measurements (other than the range - it was marked 25 yards) were taken by eye and processed with SWAG.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

If you haven't ever handled a Sig though, you don't know what you're missing.
    I agree.
    I drive a Dodge, but BMWs are nice. I've been beat once in my Dodge by a BMW simply because it's too much work for a 6300lb truck to maintain 105mph on the flat even with a performance tune program.
    My full size P220 SAO points fine for me. Does yours have the factory night sights? Questions? Nope. Comments? Glad you like your new SIG P220 SAO carry! Things will only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    .....A question for the Sig Guru's. Should I be worried about the sights pushing a little low? I need to shoot it some more to be 100% sure that it isn't operator error...
    Not a Sig Guru but the first question that comes to mind is what weight bullets were you shooting?
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Ehh, shooting low is all to common when operating a new gun. My bet is its your error.

You have yourself one of the very best fighting pistols, enjoy it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks guys.

Ramrod: It does have factory night sights.

Sixto: I tend to agree (as I usually shoot a little low).

Bacon: 230 grain FMJ. Same thing I run through my Glock 36.

I'll run a few boxes through it the next time out and see if it's me.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Awesome report. Sigs make some of the finest firearms available.

You should beware, however, it will make you to want to buy more Sigs
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Links