Kel tec p3at .380

This is a discussion on Kel tec p3at .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend just bought one of these to carry when carrying his Glock isn't possible. I thought it would be good to have around just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel tec p3at .380

Kel tec p3at .380

My friend just bought one of these to carry when carrying his Glock isn't possible. I thought it would be good to have around just in case carrying my PT145 isn't possible. Has anyone spent time with this gun?
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

2. Remove Ads

I had a Kel Tec P11, not the same caliber of course but same company. I didn't like the trigger pull but otherwise it was a reliable, inexpensive gun. No complaints.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

teh p3at is a fine little gun..for a .380 tho, HANG ON TO IT! Even with my big hangs, it wants to jump out of them..PRACTICE and know what it will do
    "Brains before Bullets"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Yes. It's a decent BUG. some report reliability issues until broken in or "buffed" (look up fluff and buff). Good luck finding one though, or .380 ammo for that matter.

My wife finally gave up and bought an NAA in .32 as her pocket gun.

I've shot his, and the only complaint I had was it kinda hurt my hand. But that's the least of your worries if you have to use it.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

EdC
    I love mine. Never had a problem with it shooting FMJ, and no "fluff and buff." From what I hear, you can get one trouble free, or one that takes some tweaking. It wants to jump out of my hand when I shoot it, but very decent for what it is. I like to toss it in my pocket when I'm wearing something light around the house, and occasionally when I dash out of the house in summertime. Put a crimson trace on it, and just got some Buffalo Bore +P to try. Haven't been to the range yet, though. For some reason it reminds of the "Noisy Cricket" piece from Men in Black. With regular FMJ practice rounds, it is LOUD!

I love mine, pretty accurate also.
    Weapons list suppressed...........

I had a Kel Tec PF9, but I sold it. It was the gun I used to qualify for my CCW. I had intended to qualify with my .357 revolver, but my instructor encouraged me to use the PF9 since I planned to carry it. Let's just say it was humbling to try to shoot that little thing accurately. It had such a tough trigger pull, kicked so hard, and the pressure of wanting to do well made me rethink my choice of weapon. The Kel Tec guns are easy to conceal and they are reliable. However, you need to make sure you can shoot it accurately before you trust your life with it. I have chosen to deal with the larger Glock 19 because it makes me a much better marksman.

You know what I just realized? P3at=P380, I know, I know....I am SLOW!! haha
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

It's a good gun for the price. They're nice to slip into your pocket when you can't carry a bigger gun. The recoil on this little gun is strong. It's not fun to shoot at all. Like others have said, .380 ammo is rare nowadays.
    That said, I like the Ruger LCP myself.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I bought one 2 years ago just so I could have something to carry when I just didn't feel like concealing a larger handgun. Read all of the threads about fluff and buff, .380 lack of "knock down", etc. but find that I carry the P3AT just about a third of the time. When I'm in a suit at work or church, it is in my pocket in a Scott Chapman pocket holster. Never have worried about printing at all. It is not fun to shoot although I have fun shooting it simply because it is so small and I can still hit at least a 5" (ok, maybe 7") group at 7 yards (I'm not the best of shots). I never had a failure to fire before I finally broke down and did a fluff and buff. I enjoyed the heck out of sanding the ramp and slide and barrel, etc. and guess what....I never have had a failure to fire since and I feel a definite difference in the smoothness and in my confidence level for reliability. I think that since it is small, not easy on the hand, I tend to hold on tighter and that, I think, reduces any chance of problems from it. Never shoot more than 15-25 rounds at a session but that's enough to keep the feel. Best $275 I ever spent (well maybe my Sig P6).

I have owned and carried a P-3AT for quite a while. Recoil isn't enough to prevent quick follow-up shots, mine eats cheap practice ammo and expensive Gold Dots without a hitch, and even with the tiny sights it is very accurate.

More recently I got a PF-9. It is everything I would expect in a KelTec pistol. The trigger and sights are so good that I can shoot groups that rival those I shoot with a larger pistol with a single action trigger.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Just carry a larger gun. When and if the SHTF, you will be able to fight better with a larger gun.

I've had one for almost 6 years (1st gen)...never have had a problem with it. Great for when I just want to pocket carry something or when wearing gym shorts out in the yard.

Great little gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I purchased a 1st gen 11xx SN and have over 2500 rds thru it. NO problems at all.

I carry it when a bigger gun is not possible.
    02PSD4ME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links