Trying to narrow it down

Trying to narrow it down

This is a discussion on Trying to narrow it down within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, Well, I finnally got my CCW permit and I have been researching a few different guns to carry, and wanted to see if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to narrow it down

Trying to narrow it down

Hey everyone,

Well, I finnally got my CCW permit and I have been researching a few different guns to carry, and wanted to see if any of you had any experience with the following. The first is a Taurus PT111 9MM and the other is a Kel-Tec PF9. I shot the Taurus, but have yet to shoot the Kel Tec , because I can't seem to find one to shoot. Anyways, I have heard the the Kel Tec brand is fantastic and I may just take a chance and purchase it over the Taurus, as I found one online. I would like to hear what some of you think on these two choices. If you also know of another gun out there in the $400 dollar price range I would like to hear about that too.
    "When the people fear their Government there is Tyranny; When the Government fears its people there is Liberty"

I'd take a Kel-Tec over the Taurus any day. The customer service at Taurus is probably one of the worst of all gun makers (personal experience). I almost went with a PF-9, but instead got a P-11. Curious as to why you aren't considering the P-11 since it has more rounds (10 and 12 rd mags) over the PF-9. It's way slimmer than the PT-111, and just a little thicker than the PF-9.

I had a Keltec any my experience with the firearm and the company were both great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Can't speak on Taurus, never owned one or dealt with the company.

Let us know what you decide
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I have a PT-99 Taurus I have had for years and it is one of the best most reliable pistols I have ever had. However, I purchased a Springfield XD45 when I got my CCW and have fallen in love. 13 rounds of 45 ACP, very manageable recoil and super accurate (for me) and not to bad to conceal. You might consider one of these pistols if you can find one in stock. Certainly worth a look. either way you go, congrats on the CCW I am happy to hear another good guy is armed!

I think either one will serve you well. I have a PT111, carrying it today in fact, and have not had any trouble with it. It shoots well, isn't picky on its diet and carries easily.

I haven't had any experience with the Keltec PF9, so I can't speak about it personally, but from other reports there is nothing that would keep me picking it either when looking at the two you mentioned.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Nothin wrong with a kel-tec, but if it were me I would save another $100.00 and get a Glock 26 or a XD sub-compact.

+1 wormy, but make that a G19. To the OP - My vote is for the KT.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Nothin wrong with a kel-tec, but if it were me I would save another $100.00 and get a Glock 26 or a XD sub-compact.
    + 1

KelTec...for the service alone.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That Pf9 is on my watch list...I think I would go with it first.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a Kel-tec P-11 and I carry it most of the time especially during the summer months with light clothing. I would recommend that you try a Kel-tec before buying one because the trigger pull takes a little getting use to. It has a long trigger pull and reset so it takes some practice to shoot good with it.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

Pt111 and pt145 owner never a prob with over 1000 rounds through each and love the Heinie sights beware of the Taurus haters.

I like the Taurus as well, PT145 10+1 light,concealable and a soft shooter in .45 . The Taurus 24/7 in .45 is nice too, just a little bigger than the PT145.

The PF9 is sitting comfortably in my left front pocket right now.

If you're looking for something to carry and shoot alot, then I would probably pass on the PF9. Its not a gun to shoot all day with.

If you have other "toys" to target shoot and want a good compact carry gun that will disappear in your pocket then the PF9 is a great choice.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I've had a Taurus PT99 for years and it's served me well, only interaction with customer service was a few weeks ago, to order a new rear sight pin, was on hold for a while, but that's typical. Parts cost was fair.

The KelTec's intrigue me, though I don't know that I'm ready to buy a gun that isn't fun to shoot (from what I'm told) just to have a small carry piece.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links