Defensive Carry banner

Springfield xd45c vs. Taurus 1911

5K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  vodekz 
#1 ·
I recently (2 months ago) ordered a Sprinfield xd45c online. Apparently, Springfield can't keep up with demand and the shop I ordered from offerred me a Taurus 1911 instead. I am torn what to do. The gun will be my primary cc. What d'y'all think?:tumbleweed:

#3 ·
I like Taurus guns but that 1911 might be a bit big for EDC, it's up to you . Are those your only two choices ?

#4 ·
You have to think about the fact that the Taurus is a full size 1911. While I don't know the spec's on the XD, I would guess the 1911 is going to be larger, heavier and have a smaller magazine capacity. Not saying the Taurus won't do the job for you, just something to consider.

#6 ·
I carry an XD45 SERVICE all day every day so I don't have a problem with the idea of carrying a full size pistol. I would steer you towards the XD because it is a true Extreme Duty gun and eats everything I feed it.

I have about 1200 rouds through it without a single hiccup. I can't say that about either of the 1911s I have owned.

#7 ·
Nothing against the Taurus guys, but i'd take a Springfield XD over anything Taurus made. I heard Glocks are really backed up right now as well, my local gun shop told me atleast a month till he gets new ones in.

#8 ·
I have the XD .45 compact and a full size 1911 and I'll take the XD every time for ccw. I also have several Taurus handguns and I find the quality of them very good but I have heard some negitive stories about their customer service dept. I have had no problems with my Taurus handguns so I cannot say if the stories are an accurate reflection on Taurus or not. I believe if you really wanted an XD you should wait it out if your situation allows you to do so.

#9 ·
I guess I'll be an odd one here. I find I can conceal my RIA full size 1911 much easier than any double stacked gun. You do give up a little capacity, but you can carry two spare 1911 mags in almost the same amount of space as one double stacked mag. The 1911 will certainly be heavier, but if you use a good gun belt there shouldn't be any problems there. Between the two I would have to go with the XD over anything Taurus, but if it were between a 1911 and the XD, I would go with the 1911.

#13 ·
Not even close, the XD is a far superior handgun quality wise, and every other way I can think of.

#16 ·
Another vote for the XD. I just got an XD45c for carry after years of carrying an XD45 service.

I actually find the 1911 comparable in terms of concealment - the XD wins for capacity and confidence (reliability).

#18 ·
It seems the majority goes for the XD. I was leaning that way anyhow. I know that I want the XD, and I think I would rather wait and get a nicer 1911 some other time. I am also going to a 4 day 800 round training course at Front Sight, Nevada, and I'm confident the XD won't fail me.

#19 ·
Commend the choice for holding out for the XD, Have 2 service in .40 and 1 Tact-i-cool two-tone (5") in .40 also. Love those .40cal. You will have a blast at Front Sight-Took the wife for a 5day last Nov. Now a life member. A little apprehensive at 1st as with most new experiences, but excellent training, excellent instructional staff and support. Not the cheapest, but I feel definitely worth the $. Enjoy & give us some feedback!

#20 ·
Does anyone know the difference in width between the two? I can't find specs that includes the width.

#25 ·
Between the two I would go with the XD, I love the 1911 but I don't like Taurus. If you want a 1911 save up and get a Colt, Springfield armory, or Kimber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.