Looking for a revolver for my wife

This is a discussion on Looking for a revolver for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone. I am looking for a revolver for my wife…she is 5’ and very petite. She’s only shot a little .22 rugar and nothing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a revolver for my wife

Looking for a revolver for my wife

Hey everyone.

I am looking for a revolver for my wife…she is 5’ and very petite. She’s only shot a little .22 rugar and nothing with substantial power. What I am looking for is a revolver (simplistic) that she can handle. I went to a gun store today and they had several of these models.
    1. Rugar sp 101 .357 five shot for 479.00.
    2. Taurus 85 ultra lite .38 5shot for 359.00
    3. 817 ultra lite 7shot for 369.00
    4. A 650 CIA .357 for 369.95
    5. Judge ultra lite for 519.00 (this would be for me to play with)

My question to everyone here is that the .38’s would have to handle +P rounds, where as the .357’s would definitely handle the +P rounds.

I want to K.I.S.S. as much as possible. This would strictly be for HD for her if the bad guys made it past me and got to her and the boys. When we are together this would be a BUG for me. I can handle the .357 with .357 rounds, but this would mainly be for her.

When or if Illinois ever gets a CCW then this is what we would carry…until then I’ve applied for my Florida when I travel thru the southern states.

2. Remove Ads

My first CC handgun was (and is) a S&W 642 airweight .38 revolver. It's a 5-shot, concealed hammer, compact enough to carry concealed, would fit her hand well, can be used with +P rounds. My defensive rounds are the Federal HydraShoks. VERY effective CC handgun IMO. List is around $500, but look for a sale, I picked mine up for $278 new at a local sporting goods store 2 years ago. Hope this helps.

IMO the S&W 442/642 is the way to go. Might as well get one for yourself as well.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

442/642 all the way.

Be careful with +P ammo though. It has quite a bit of kick in that platform, especially if she has small hands. I am not discouraging its use by any stretch. If she will be loading with +P rounds for SD, she will just have to practice.

VIP Member
    Of the choices mentioned by the OP, I would recommend for his wife the Ruger, then see what her comfort level is with standard-pressure .38s, then +P, then .357. Stop where she feels comfortable. The Ruger is heavier, so less felt recoil. Make certain of course, that she likes whatever choice is made, or she won't practice with and use it.

Good luck!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

My recommendation is a S&W Model 65 stainless, caliber .357, 3 inch bbl,
    equipped with Crimson Trace laser grips. My wife loves her, and she is VERY
    good with it (uses .38 Spl Remington Golden Saber ammo). I enjoy shooting
    it also. She doesn't have the strength to pull back the slides on my Sigs, so the
    revolver is the logical choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCCW View Post
    My first CC handgun was (and is) a S&W 642 airweight .38 revolver. It's a 5-shot, concealed hammer, compact enough to carry concealed, would fit her hand well, can be used with +P rounds. My defensive rounds are the Federal HydraShoks. VERY effective CC handgun IMO. List is around $500, but look for a sale, I picked mine up for $278 new at a local sporting goods store 2 years ago. Hope this helps.
    I could not agree more. The S&W 642/442 is in my opinion something everybody should own. Yes Taurus and Ruger make good guns as well but the J-frame is something special.

As for recoil, start her out on low recoil wad cutters. Move up from there. By the way wad cutters in themselves make decent defensive rounds for in your face ranges. Definitely get a DAO model. The longer heavier pull leaves out the possibility of AD and you will find it different but not at all hard to shoot. A J-frame really does fit in a pocket as well.

Just make sure she handles the gun and feels confident in it. If she for some reason hates guns, don't push the issue. If she's ready remember it's for her and not for you. Did I say I love J-frames?

Quote Originally Posted by LaCCW View Post
    For 278.00 I'll buy myself one as well. So LACCW...I'll give you 300.00 for it

I would never give a novice shooter (especially someone petite as you decribe) a lightweight J-frame. A steel model 60 or equivalent loaded with mild .38's is a far better choice. Once she gets accustomed to that, perhaps later she can move up to an airweight. But giving her an airweight as her first "real" gun will just cause her to develop a bad flinch and hate shooting.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Go with the Ruger 101 in 357. It weighs about 25 ounces which is like Baby Bear's poorage...JUST RIGHT!! Shoots 38's too. Good stuff.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

oops!

THAT'S SP101 !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    I would never give a novice shooter (especially someone petite as you decribe) a lightweight J-frame. A steel model 60 or equivalent loaded with mild .38's is a far better choice. Once she gets accustomed to that, perhaps later she can move up to an airweight. But giving her an airweight as her first "real" gun will just cause her to develop a bad flinch and hate shooting.
    Good point...I had thought the better option was getting a revolver with a reasonable weight...as it would take the recoil better.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    THAT'S SP101 !!
    yea...I liked the fill of it.

My wife is small and wasn't comfortable with the recoil on the small J-frames. She loves her S&W 686+ with a 3 inch barrel that she carries with 357s. It's really no bigger than a full-size 1911 and with what she wears she has no problem concealing it.

I'd recommend the S&W 642. Here's my wife's in a Mika Pocket Holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links