LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged) - Page 2

LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged)

This is a discussion on LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reporting a high number of extractor failures in one batch of pistols is not vilifying S&W. I am not sure about the authenticity of the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Reporting a high number of extractor failures in one batch of pistols is not vilifying S&W. I am not sure about the authenticity of the teletype, and have not seen anything like it posted at my agency, but then, we use .40 ammo. If a batch of 9mm extractors was not properly heat-treated, it may not affect other parts, such as extractors in the .40 M&Ps.

A bad extractor should reveal itself in the break-in process, if the pistol is fired rapidly enough to get it warm.

As one of the replies indicated, yes, there have been similar bulletins sent around to PDs regarding other weapons, too. Anyone who does not take such warnings seriously, does so at his own peril.

Break-in your pistols! Fire rapidly enough so that they get warm, so that any parts not properly heat-treated, or not properly alloyed, will make themselves known by warping or breaking under controlled conditions, and not during a gunfight.

I have experienced a Kimber extractor bending like a banana in the wrong direction the first time it got warm from shooting. I have experienced a now out-of-production pocket pistol's slide warping the first time it got warm, from being shot. Not all breakage occurs when new; I got home from work one morning to discover that the mainspring in my S&W duty revolver had snapped into two pieces. And, to think folks wonder why I carry a back-up.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I thought LAPD used Glocks after switching from Beretta 92s? They should just stick with Glocks, there is a reason over half the nation's police departments issue them.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    They had a BARREL BREAK INTO TWO PIECES...simply unacceptable for a premier manufacturer like Smith.
    You are right, that has never happened with any other premier manufacturer. You got me.

SubNine:

We are talking about LASD here, not LAPD.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

It is certainly an interesting thing to read on the internet, however I too question the authenticity of this. One thing is for certain, it's an issue worth paying attention to.
    Beretta 92FS

Hi Landric!

This M&P pistol is one we disagree about. After participating in my former agencies T&E of the M&P 40, I have no use for the M&P pistol. That agency went with the Glock 22, good choice on their part.

Yes it feels nice in the hand (there, I said something nice about it ) but the triggers on every one of them I handled to date, make the Sigma's trigger look good. Roll pins that backed out, mags that dropped out, FTF, FTE, no thanks!

I'm sure that this latest issue with the M&P will be overblown by the internet. But just for fun, look around the gunboards today, to see how the M&P fanboys have their panties in a bunch over this!

Hope to see you in Oxford sometime soon! Best regards, 18DAI.

No mention of a recall on S&W site.

And there is no mention of it on the LAPD website.
    If they were going to email that out to all personnel, you’d think they would go ahead and put it on their website.

I'm going with Glock anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

If they were going to email that out to all personnel, you’d think they would go ahead and put it on their website.
    Why would S&W issue a recall based on a report from a department with 50 guns when they've produced hundreds of thousands of M&Ps over the past 4 years?

It's LASD, not LAPD, and I wouldn't expect to see it up on their website, either.

While I'm far from being concerned about the report, I can confirm that the broadcast did go out from LASD. This isn't just some made up internet rumor.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

Quote Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
    Hi Landric!

This M&P pistol is one we disagree about. After participating in my former agencies T&E of the M&P 40, I have no use for the M&P pistol. That agency went with the Glock 22, good choice on their part.

Yes it feels nice in the hand (there, I said something nice about it ) but the triggers on every one of them I handled to date, make the Sigma's trigger look good. Roll pins that backed out, mags that dropped out, FTF, FTE, no thanks!

I'm sure that this latest issue with the M&P will be overblown by the internet. But just for fun, look around the gunboards today, to see how the M&P fanboys have their panties in a bunch over this!

Hope to see you in Oxford sometime soon! Best regards, 18DAI.
    On the other hand, we had nothing but good experience with the M&Ps we T&E'd last fall. Of course the majority of the PD voted for the Glock 22 (not me), so if the new guns didn't die with the current budget crisis, we will probably have those by the end of the summer. I'm not a huge Glock fan (mostly due to the grip angle, I won't try and claim they are bad guns), but quite frankly I'd rather have a M&P or Glock over the Beretta 96FS we have now. Of course I hate the .40S&W in general, but the M&P is the nicest .40 I have ever shot. I like the trigger a lot better than the Glock trigger. I would like to see the M&P with a more positive reset though.

I think we agree on enough that we can agree to disagree on the M&P. It isn't, after all, a 4566 (and neither is the Glock).

I'm hoping to be in Oxford this weekend actually, what about you? I'm thinking of shooting my wind up S&W .44 Special.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

This is the first I have heard of this. And the source cannot be verified. Who will post something made up about Kimber, Colt, Sig or Springfield ? I can't wait to hear the BS. Some people have nothing better to do.
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

Well I think I will keep my M&P9c with well over 5000 rds thru it without a single malfunction. I cant even say that about my $1000 guns much less my $2500 les Bear, or any other pistol I own I love my 1911 but my M&P is a work horse
    كافر

They should just stick with Glocks, there is a reason over half the nation's police departments issue them.
    And that reason has a much to do with price point as anything.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

+1 Don't worry, S&W will make things right for those that may have a problem. I personally haven't had any issues with the 9. I have dealt with S&W customer service and it was a pleasant experience.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

There's probably a "political" side to it, also...competitor firearms sales...based on the number of weapons produced by S&W, the number of rounds fired, the number of personnel handling these weapons and the probable incidence of recruit issues (and some "los veteranos") handling of the weapons, sounds like there's more to this than just a S&W issue. So that the issue is not clouded, I'm not a big fan of S&W, but that's a personal issue and not related to the M&P.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    And that reason has a much to do with price point as anything.
    No it doesnt. Have you ever seen an invoice compared to Smith or some others? If it was just about money, every LEO would be armed with S&W.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links