LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged)

This is a discussion on LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by choice89 Not such good news since I just purchased on Thursday my new S&W M&P 45 Compact.... No complaints so far, but ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by choice89 View Post
    Not such good news since I just purchased on Thursday my new S&W M&P 45 Compact.... No complaints so far, but I will keep a close look and keep her clean and operational!
    Sgt. Staples,

S&W will stand behind you and send you a UPS sticker to ship the gun back to make it right if you ever have a single issue that you feel is worth your trouble.
    I am not only trusting my life to my M&P's but am confident in the manufacturer to address any problem. I once had a FTF in my M&P 45 compact because I was using crappy reload target ammo. But I called S&W about it. When I figured out the problem, I never used the shipping sticker and got two free 45c mags because of a gun show hassle where I bought the gun.
    The LASD / S&W investigation continues, and maybe S&W will have a statement addressing the matter some day soon.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

If I believed 1/2 of the stuff I read (true or not) about different handguns then I dare say I would be concealing a sling and some stones and I have read from a 100% reliable source that a slingshot killed a giant, defieing all odds!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    If I believed 1/2 of the stuff I read (true or not) about different handguns then I dare say I would be concealing a sling and some stones and I have read from a 100% reliable source that a slingshot killed a giant, defieing all odds!
    I feel the same way.... the Internet is the Internet.

I have 6 M&Ps each one has right at 5,000 rounds through them except my M&P Pro which has a couple thousand. Not a single bit of trouble.

If the police are having problems S&W would have a representative with then to get everything resolved.

P.S.

I keep my slingshot in my back pocket just in case though
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

S&W M&P problems?

Just read this on therallypoint.org and wondered if any of you M&P owners have had hese issues?
    OFFICER SAFETY: LASD DE-CERTIFIES S&W M&P PISTOL | Police & Law Enforcement Discussions and Forums - PoliceLink

Lots of discussion of the LASD action in this thread.

Yes I have,and I'm not sell my M&P9C because of 1 bad gun
    and a bunch of police recruits with jamming guns.
    mine shoots fine, always has
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I love these kinds of threads. Everyone thinks their gun is better than another. They are all the same. Some break, some dont.

Same thing with guitars. Give me one that will stay in tune and doesnt have the strings a mile off the frets and Ill play it and it will sound good.

Same can be said of golf clubs and other tools.

I really like my Sigma.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Out of all the 370+ LE agencies who have adopted the M&P platform since its introduction in 2006, this is the only agency that has summarily dropped the platform... And in a very public way. What does this tell us? Simply, that the Sheriff has an axe to grind with Smith & Wesson, and has decided to hit them with what is known as a Slam Letter.

If you follow the story a little more closely, you will also see that several LE agencies have spoken up about this issue and have denounced the Sheriff for being so underhanded. It has also become apparent in researching the story that this particular Sheriff has only allowed Glock and Beretta on the "Approved for Carry" list during his tenure.

Not to beat on Glock, but if one does a simple search on Glock LE problems, one would find these stories in a short list. I'm pretty sure that people have not stopped buying Glocks because of a LE departments actions.

NYPD Advisory - Effective 20 February 2003 all Glock Model 26 pistols in the E serial range of the current "non-recall" have been banned from carry by NYPD MOS. They are instructed to cease carrying the weapon and contact the Firearms Training Section for instructions concerning replacement.- Lt. Sean McMahon

Albuquerque, N.M. - The Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department has discovered a problem with its new Glock .40-caliber semi-automatic handguns.An inspection turned up two more broken guns says Deputy Robert Ray. Ray, the departments armorer, says that on some newer versions of the gun, two pieces of steel in the lower portion of the weapon were improperly machined. Those pieces may be prone to breaking under the stress of repeated firing.

Portland Police Chief Derrick Foxworth is ordering all officers to transition to the use of 9mm handguns after recent mechanical failures of the Glock .45 caliber handgun. During the week of March 1, 2004, two failures occurred during firearms training.The transition to the 9mm handguns will be handled in such a manner as to ensure that officers continue to provide the same level of service to the community. - PIO Cheryl Robinson

The Tribune-Star - Indiana State Police will receive new Glock 9 mm handguns as a result of functional problems with their current Glock 40-caliber handguns.About 50 guns that were identified as dysfunctional through a manufacturer defect will be replaced, said Indiana State Police Sgt. Joe Watts. The manufacturer is replacing the guns at no cost to State Police, Watts said. No timeline has been set for when the new handguns will arrive. When they arrive, police will be trained on their use. State troopers can carry one of the new, replaced handguns or the gun previously carried, a Beretta 40-caliber, he said.

SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois State Police troopers soon will be carrying new pistols after officials said a malfunction in one of the most popular police weapons could have killed an officer if left unchecked. Glock Inc., based in Smyrna, Ga., will replace all of the agency's 2,270 Glock Model 22 handguns at a significant discount, although it disputes a state police claim that it altered the model to compensate for a design flaw.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

No issues with my M&P40c, I'm very confident in it's reliability that I trust it to protect my life if needed. Thousands of trouble free rounds down range and still going strong.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Our department has been carrying the M&P40 for two years now and we have not even had the minorest of problems. The pistol is a fine piece of equipment. The LASD if that article is the truth, wrote them off before the gave them a chance to send a new batch of pistols. I guess thats what the T/E's are for, if you are trying to sell your pistol to a department you better bring your A game not a batch of rejects. I trust my life with the product though and many Smith Products. Excellent company. Excellent service.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Just for kicks I did a little experiment this past weekend with my 9c....

first I started by mowing the grass with mine on my hip Saturday, next I changed the sand in my pool filter. It was crazy dirty after these two tasks. I just kind of dusted the exterior off. Sunday I went on a rather long and dusty jeep ride, when we were finished it and everything else was covered in dust. I pulled over inserted by ball ammo mag and I run the first 6 thru it slow, and the last 6 as fast as I could...Now I'll admit I didn't toss it in the mud or run over it with my SSR's but it still seemed to function properly. I brought it home cleaned it good and it's back in service 21 inches away from me right now. If I had any doubt in it's function I'd replace it tomorrow or pull one of my others out of the safe.

The Detroit Police Dept. has went with the M&P line as their new service weapons. (.40 cal.)

great gun!

VIP Member
    ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION.
    Why does this whole teletype sound like a huge load of tactical manure to me? OK guys, how many departments have their officers go through 10K of ammo for training? And any gun will fail one way or the other after 10K.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links