LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged)

This is a discussion on LA Sheriff's dept report wide spread problems with S&W M&P's. (Merged) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I almost bought a Smith M&P 9mm compact. I'm glad I didn't. I still don't trust Smith & Wesson. It could be just some manufacturing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I almost bought a Smith M&P 9mm compact. I'm glad I didn't. I still don't trust Smith & Wesson. It could be just some manufacturing issues and not an issue with the gun. Not worth the risk, glad I went glock.

Officer Safety: Smith & Wesson M&P pistols - M4Carbine.net Forums

SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT BROADCASTANNOUNCEMENT TRAINING BUREAU
    WEAPONS TRAINING
    TO: ALL CONCERNED PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: OFFICER SAFETY ALERT - SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOLS

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS HAVE FORCED A DEPARTMENTAL RE-EVALUATION OF THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL AS AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL HANDGUN FOR SWORN PERSONNEL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL SIZE PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL ON-DUTY PISTOL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P COMPACT PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL OFF-DUTY PISTOL.

SINCE FIRST APPROVAL AS AN OPTIONAL PISTOL ON DECEMBER 10, 2008, THE FULL-SIZED AND/OR COMPACT VERSIONS OF THE 9MM SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOL HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED BY 49 SWORN PERSONNEL ON AND OFF DUTY. ONE OF THESE PISTOLS WAS DELIVERED NEW WITH AN IMPROPERLY MACHINED BARREL THAT WOULD NOT EJECT SPENT CARTRIDGE CASINGS. ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION. THIS PISTOL BARREL BROKE INTO TWO PIECES JUST AHEAD OF THE FIRING CHAMBER.

ADDITIONALLY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF DEPUTY ACADEMY CLASS #XXX RECRUITS WITH ISSUED NEW SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL-SIZE PISTOLS HAVE EXPERIENCED PHASE-2 PISTOL MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSED BY SPENT CASINGS FAILING TO EXTRACT FROM BARREL CHAMBERS, DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING. CLASS #XXX RECRUITS WILL BE ISSUED BERETTA 92FS PISTOLS ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 29, 2009, AND THEIR M&P PISTOLS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.

PERSONNEL SAFETY AND RELIABLE EQUIPMENT REMAIN OUR PRIMARY CONCERNS.

DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS (remove

Well, not good news for S&W, but it seems like a prudent course of action under the circumstances.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Wow...one of the largest sheriff's agencies in the country pouring salt all over your game, that is not good.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

So, LASD is pulling the M&P because of two handguns that malfunctioned and a "significant" (whatever that means, it could be 2 or 3) experiencing failures to extract. Failures to extract can be ammunition or shooter related in addition to being gun problems.

Perhaps LASD got a bad batch, but my experience with the M&P, both issued and personally owned, has been excellent.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Administrator
    The had some like issues when they first came out a few years ago, it showed up in a joint testing program I was a part of. I wrote about it here way back then, but got blasted. Oh well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think if I was Smith I'd have a factory engineer/armorer RIGHT out there on this, like Glock did with the 19s out in NY some years ago. This seems like a high failure rate, and the whole batch needs attention...but I'm not an engineer.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I'm not saying this is not accurate, but I'm not ready to vilify Smith and Wesson based on a cut and pasted email posted on a forum. "But I read it on the internet..."

Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    I almost bought a Smith M&P 9mm compact. I'm glad I didn't. I still don't trust Smith & Wesson. It could be just some manufacturing issues and not an issue with the gun. Not worth the risk, glad I went glock.
    You realize that teletypes like this have gone out announcing problems with Glocks (and every other major LE handgun brand) in the past too, right?

There are hundreds and hundreds of police departments which have adopted the M&P over the past few years. How many are reporting problems? Are the problems LASD mentioned in its teletype being seen anywhere else?

I can tell you from personal experience that when LASD has had issues with pistols in the past, it did not result in an automatic teletype broadcast. So there is a human politics element at play here.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

Administrator
    I agree, I cant see everything being sent around via the net. Was this really a teletype? If so, whats it doing here?

I will say that we had some with extractor problems, but a lot of them were a result of improper assembly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I own the full size M&P9 and M&P45, both with tritium sights. The 9 is about 6 months old with thousands of rounds through it. I has never FTFeed,FTFire,or FTEject for me. I have used a variety of ammo from hardball to +P+ and they all function perfectly. Recently I read an article on DownRange.com about a test putting 50k rounds though an M&P9 with no significant problems or failures. I for one love the weapon and my shot groups continue to tighten the more I shoot it. I haven't put much ammo through the M&P45 due to the cost of ammo but have had no problems so far. I would love to try the compact M&P9 but until I can afford it I will have to stay with my Keltec PF9 for concealed carry. It too, has worked well for me once I learned to do deal with the recoil.

Good Shooting to all,
    Happily clinging to God and Guns

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    So, LASD is pulling the M&P because of two handguns that malfunctioned and a "significant" (whatever that means, it could be 2 or 3) experiencing failures to extract. Failures to extract can be ammunition or shooter related in addition to being gun problems.

Perhaps LASD got a bad batch, but my experience with the M&P, both issued and personally owned, has been excellent.
    They had a BARREL BREAK INTO TWO PIECES...simply unacceptable for a premier manufacturer like Smith.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bradktn View Post
    I'm not saying this is not accurate, but I'm not ready to vilify Smith and Wesson based on a cut and pasted email posted on a forum. "But I read it on the internet..."
    Agreed, I'll not be selling mine M&P9C any time soon.
    I'll wait for a recall before I get worried.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    Agreed, I'll not be selling mine M&P9C any time soon.
    I'll wait for a recall before I get worried.
    But they are dangerous. You could be hurt very badly. If you send the gun to me I will "dispose" of it appropriately for a nominal fee......

<silence>

Well, tell you what. You seem like a nice guy. I'll waive the fee....

<silence>

I'll throw in free shipping.....

I'll even give you $100 for your trouble.....

$200....

$400....

Wow, looks like prices haven't dropped much. I was really hoping to take advantage of this "crisis" to pick up a good gun cheap.

Not good

Wow! I ALWAYS felt Smith was a REVOLER COMPANY FOREMOST(the stupid 'lawyer locks'aside)and that is the product one should buy from them..however, it is shocking to hear about these M&P issues with the LA Co.Sheriff's Department. "Monday guns", maybe? Hopefully, S&W will come out with an explaination for this....and DUMP THOSE LOCKS WHILE THEY'RE AT IT!!!
    Last edited by JD; May 1st, 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Removed bold font.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by rpm64 View Post
    Recently I read an article on DownRange.com about a test putting 50k rounds though an M&P9 with no significant problems or failures.
    Yeah, I heard something about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    They had a BARREL BREAK INTO TWO PIECES...simply unacceptable for a premier manufacturer like Smith.
    (1) Do you know for certain that other "premier manufacturer(s)" have never suffered a similar problem? (hint: they have)

(2) Do you know for certain what ammunition was used, what condition the gun was in, etc.?

(3) Even assuming the worst case scenario that there really was a materiel or manufacturing defect on that one gun, do you think that one catastrophic failure out of 300,000+ guns is "simply unacceptable?"
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links