Should I Trade 1 S&W Revolver for another?

This is a discussion on Should I Trade 1 S&W Revolver for another? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I was at a local gun shop a few weeks back, I noticed a S&W model 29 Classic (4-inch barrel, nickel finish, nice rich ...

Thread: Should I Trade 1 S&W Revolver for another?

Should I Trade 1 S&W Revolver for another?

While I was at a local gun shop a few weeks back, I noticed a S&W model 29 Classic (4-inch barrel, nickel finish, nice rich wood grips) in the case. It was really calling out to me (at $770.00). I would have loved to use my tax return on it but I had old bills to pay and new tires to buy for my truck!

Well, I went back there a couple of days ago and just in case it was still there (it was!) I took my model 386PD (2.5 inch barrel, 17.5 ounce black finish Scandium frame, 7-shot Titanium cylinder, CTC laser grips. It even has its own lockable aluminum sided carry case!) with me to see how much they would give me in trade on the 29. I bought the 386PD way back in 2001 and carried it for a while, but it has been replaced by my Glocks as preferred carry guns. Now the 386PD has become a safe queen. It still looks brand new. I have another Smith .357 (model 620, also 7-shot but Stainless Steel) that is used more as a target shooter or sidearm while in the deer woods. But I would love to add the legendary model 29 to my collection. The owner of the shop looked over my revovler and after a few minutes offered me $650.00 for it including the CTC grips. I have about $800.00 in it counting the original purchase price plus the cost of laser grips.

My question is as stated above...Should I make the trade or not? With a kid finishing his first year in college and the economy as it is, keeping the 386PD and saving for the 29 is probably not an option. But the 386PD is a neat looking revolver that was only produced from 2001-2005. It could become a valuable commodity years down the road.

What would you all do?
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

2. Remove Ads

You might look and see if you can find one cheaper somewhere else and just save up for it. Your current model is a nice piece and I would keep it and try to get a 29 down the road.

Dirty Harry sez:
    1 - How much 44mag ammo do you have access to?

2 - What will you use the Model 29 for?

3 - Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya punk!?!
    NRA Life Member

29 Smith

Never had a 29, but did have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. and after thinking about it a 44 Mag was going to collect more dust than anything else in my collection. Now, if you're going in the woods where dangerous animals are(bears,mountain lions etc)the Smith might be the way to go...if not pass on the 29 and BUY AMMO and Spare MAGS for your Glocks. IF I was spending time up in Alaska, I'd invest in a 4" Redhawk(not the Super Redhawk)in 44 with XS or other "Big Dot" front site as my daily carry piece. My TWO CENTS! Good Luck.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Those models are both recent production, and therefore have lower resale value, in my part of the country.

If you like the "classic", do the trade. Regards 18DAI.

Had a 4" stainless 29 back in the 80's paid around 400.00 new back then,240JHP's kicked like a mule
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the input folks. I would be buying the 29 more for a collectable than a gun to should on a regular basis. Plus it would make a nice sidearm to go with my Winchester model 94 Trapper in .44 magnum.

The 386PD has quite a kick due to its light weight, but it isn't painful. My brother in law used to have a 5.5 inch barrel Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag and I enjoyed shooting it and don't remember the recoil being excessive or painful. I seem to notice recoil on long guns more than in handguns.

I would love to try to save enough to buy a 29 down the road as I have regretted just about every gun that I have had to sell in the past(especially a 1984 model 686 and Korean War era M1 Garand!) and would surely do so again if I sell/trade the 386PD.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

When I started getting into firearms, I was buying inexpensive guns... Taurus and such. Not that there's anything wrong with them... never really had a problem, but I wanted nicer.

At this point, I've swapped out every taurus and charter revolver I owned for smiths and colts, got rid of my RIA 1911 in favor of a Springer, swapped out my Ruger Mini14 for a Bushmaster AR, etc.

My point is... trading up is great.

Trading sideways? I've only done that twice, and ended up regretting it both times. Selling something that I really like in order to get something else that I really like just doesn't feel right. Since I no longer own any firearms I don't really like... I won't be trading any more.

On the 29... I picked up a 29-2, pinned and recessed, about 3 years ago for a little more than half of what you are talking about. Always wanted one, thought perhaps I wouldn't shoot it much, but I really wanted to add it to my collection.

At this point, I put more rounds per year though the 'ol 29 than any other centerfire handgun I own. I just love that gun. A good .44 and a reloading press is probably the most flexible firearms investment you can make.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgglock View Post
    Thanks for the input folks. I would be buying the 29 more for a collectable than a gun to should on a regular basis. Plus it would make a nice sidearm to go with my Winchester model 94 Trapper in .44 magnum.
    Make the trade. You have other 38/357's, but do not have a 44 to go with your '94.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I'd trade it. The 29 is going to go up in price, and is a classic. It's also rarer in it's a nickel finish. Just don't shoot alot of full house loads and feed it a light diet of handloads and clean er up good afterwards. Very versatile round and with a good set of rubber grips is much more comfortable to shoot.

I have the same gun only in .41 mag and it's a keeper. The box alone can bring $200.00 alone. If you put it on GB the right person would pay you 1k for it.
    JMO

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links