striker fire. where's the love?

This is a discussion on striker fire. where's the love? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading through the forums, there are a lot of people who really dislike striker fire guns, however i never ran into an explanation as to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: striker fire. where's the love?

Reading through the forums, there are a lot of people who really dislike striker fire guns, however i never ran into an explanation as to why?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Light stikes, otherwise I have no beef. Some striker fired guns have springs that just don't always have enough oomph. I prefer a hammer, but I have several striker fired pistols, including the one to the left, but if they deliver a light strike, I let them go. FWIW the P7 always works.

80% of mine are striker fired pistols.

Senior Moderator
    The trigger pull on striker fired guns generally suck. They are long and mushy by design,they tend to "load" before they let go where as the hammer fired guns have a much better "break".

The trigger on a finely tuned 1911 model or a tuned revolver is pretty much superior to any striker fired pistol design.

They are two completely different mechanisms. Its a matter of personal preference really.

Mine personal preference is hammer fired guns.

Its has been my experience that many people don't know what they are missing until they try a hammer fired gun. When they figure it out, some migrate to that design and leave the striker fired guns alone. Others simply don't care one way or the other.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've got both striker and hammer, and i like them both, no trigger pull issues on the striker guns. So its kind of a chevy vs ford thing eh?

Senior Moderator
    Nah.
    Its an average trigger vs. a great trigger thing.
    Once you get used to a great trigger, nothing less than that does it for you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

What is the difference between striker and hammer? And an example of the kinds of guns. Thanks.

wikipedia did a good job defining... Firing pin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior Moderator
    In a stiker fired gun, if the gun does not fire you have to rack the slide again to try to fire.

In a hammer fired gun, if the gun does not fire you simply thumb the hammer back and try again.

An example of hammer fired guns are Colt Government models and clones,Sigs,HK's, Browing High Powers.

An example of striker fired guns are Glock, XD, High Point.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I'm kind of a strange bird, I guess, but I like a good, smooth DA trigger. I prefer it to any of the typical striker fired designs, I prefer it to DA/SA systems that require a transition from the first shot to subsequent shots, and I prefer it to even single action automatics like the 1911. I know that not many people prefer DAO pistols, but to me, they are simpler and just feel right. Maybe it's because I was raised shooting revolvers. My 2 favorite pistols in the world are my Kahr K40, which is striker fired and my Sig P250, which has a hammer. The common bond is that they both have DA triggers that are smooth as glass.

So I guess I'd say that the trigger matters more to me than the hammer/striker system. Both systems have been reliable for me, so that's not an issue. My issue pistol is striker fired (Glock 22), and I have a G27 as a backup. Although I prefer the nice DA triggers of my Sig and Kahr, I totally trust a good striker-fired design like the proven Glock or XD. I think the field proven reliability of the pistol at hand is more important than whether the design is striker or hammer fired.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I own both striker and hammer fired pistols. The good thing about striker fired handguns is that there is no hammer to get snagged on clothing (but with practice you can avoid snagging with hammer fired). I do like hammer fired a little better, especially DA/SA like my Beretta M9, and would like to try a SIG P226 or P229. The 1911 isn't bad either, the single action trigger makes for very quick follow up shots. Glock has a nice trigger reset as well. If you can learn to use it, you can fire them fast and accurately.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

At one time I was a trigger snob. I loved 1911's. Still do by the way. I bought a G23 as a tool as well as a 642. In combat style shooting both shine through. Try quickly walking up to or away from your target at an oblique angle firing quickly the whole time without stoping or standing and you'll know the difference of static vs. dynamic shooting. IMHO this is what striker fired guns were made for. I make no claim that other guns don't make good combat weapons, only that the striker fired weapons seem made from the beginning for this arena. Look at combat sports like IDPA and you'll see striker fired (Glocks mostly) dominate the roost.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In a stiker fired gun, if the gun does not fire you have to rack the slide again to try to fire.
    Not necessarily so. There are striker fired pistols available that have restrike capability.

In a hammer fired gun, if the gun does not fire you simply thumb the hammer back and try again.
    Again, not always the case. But this is the main drawback to a single action trigger, IMO, versus a double action or DA/SA pistol. Single actions requires the shooter perform two actions to shoot.

Since this is a defensive carry forum, IMO the simplist triggers are the best, those that reguire one single, simple action to fire your pistol. Those are typically either a Glock style striker fired or a double action hammer fired without a safety, (or with and not used). Triggers too light or a too short pull can be prone to accidental, unintended discharge if drawn during a tense, fear filled, adrenaline enhanced situation. Whereas qualities such as a long or heavy pull disappear in these same situations and are not a factor. Adrenaline can turn a 10# pull into a 3# pull.

In a purely defensive carry pistol, the trigger may be one of the least important factors involved in judging a competent candidate. Reliable feeding, firing and ejection and perhaps the quality of one's holster are at least as, or more important than the trigger. The good news is, modern triggers in most popular pistols are very good. There is a plethora of styles and mechanisms to choose from. Some suitable for carry, some not, and more suited to the range or competition.

Some of my favorite strikers are;
    Kahr
    HK P7
    Walther P99 AS or QA

Some of my favorite hammer fired are;
    HK DA/SA or LEM (the HK match trigger is very nice)
    Seecamp DAO
    Daewoo tri action
    Beretta 84/85

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Nobody has yet mentioned the main reason I disliked my G-bricks: concealability! Striker-fired mechanisms are internal, so the slide must extend farther to the rear to enclose the firing mechanism.

Well, G-bricks were also a bit voluminous in the grip area, but I could have had a reduction job done.

Instead, I went with a P229, with a factory short trigger, after I found I could shoot it better than a G-brick, and hold onto it better. Three of my five P229s have bobbed hammers, being DAK, which further aids concealability.

The sweeter DA pull is a bonus; I think I can adapt to almost any trigger system, but the closer it is to either a sweet DA sixgun, or a 1911, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Nobody has yet mentioned the main reason I disliked my G-bricks: concealability! Striker-fired mechanisms are internal, so the slide must extend farther to the rear to enclose the firing mechanism.
    ?????I'm guessing you just don't like Glocks, the statement isn't true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links