Finally caught the BUG!

This is a discussion on Finally caught the BUG! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well this morning I finally picked up my new Kel Tec PF9 in OD Green and Parkerized finish. I paid 320.00 which is as low ...

Thread: Finally caught the BUG!

Finally caught the BUG!

Well this morning I finally picked up my new Kel Tec PF9 in OD Green and Parkerized finish. I paid 320.00 which is as low as the manager would go . But he did throw in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster so I don't think it was a bad deal.

I broke it down, cleaned, and lubed then off to the range I went! I was shooting WWB and some Hornady Critical Defense 115gr which will be my SD load.

It shot perfectly! It ate all ammo and asked for seconds! I'm only here now typing instead of still shooting because what many say is true. This gun you shoot little and carry ALOT. All I can say is "OUCH". Not a fun gun to shoot many rounds through. The missing skin on top of my thumb that was thoroughly rubbed off can attest to that.

My only concern was that I was hitting low and to the left. I thought it might be me so I pulled out my carry gun and put a mag full through it and took the center out of the target at 7yds so I know it's the gun.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and will be carrying it as much as possible which is always except while at work.

Before I have the smiley's attacking me here's a pic I pulled off the internet. It's identical to it since right now I don't have access to a digital camera.
    Attached Images
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

2. Remove Ads

Oh that snappy little slide! Been there before. It makes for a groovy blood blister if it catches you just right

Nice little BUG
    2A is not negotiable

I wear a shooting glove when practice with my P11, if I'm going to shoot more than a couple magazines

VIP Member
    That's a nice addition! Carry on!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

nice carry gun. lite weight, 9mm, small in size. and the price is not bad either.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Nice gun
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

A great little pocket gun, and you're correct...not a fun gun at the range!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great gun. Dont feed it to much. Its hard to replace the feed.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Low and left is pretty common to shooters with their new guns, most likely "ancicipating" the recoil. Keep practicing with it, when you really need to use it, the last thing on your mind will be the slide biting your hand.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

It's shooting low left because you are likely squeezing your entire shooting hand, especially last two fingers. It's common when the support hand is not properly held.

Use this grip:
    http://new.defensereview.com/stories...08_2-04-08.jpg

The support hand should be tighter that the shooting hand; about 60/40 or 70/30 grip. Don't tighten your shooting hand grip as you pull the trigger. Nothing moves but your trigger finger, bending at the middle knuckle. If your support hand grip is too loose, it can separate from the firearm. When that happens, most shooters compensate by tightening their shooting hand grip, resulting in the low left shooting.

Give it a try and I'm sure you will find your inner marksman.

I bug also....

Big BUG........

Little BUG...

Lady BUG...
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hitting low and left with a new gun can be related to finger placement on the trigger, or how the trigger is pulled. With such a small pistol, you may have "too much finger" on the trigger, but with a backup gun, this is not a big deal. BUGs are used at VERY close range.

I hit left if I use a standard factory trigger in a P229, but hit properly centered with a factory short trigger or TJ Customs trigger. Nothing is different, except the way the gun fits. I can just barely reach the trigger face with the standard trigger, in DA mode. Rather than too much finger, it is too little.

Congratulations on the new purchase!
    Last edited by Rexster; May 2nd, 2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarity

Nice price for the gun!

I shot with both my left and right hand, one handed, and all groupings are low and to the left. Next range trip (after top of thumb heals) I'm going to adjust the rear sight to compensate for it and see what that does.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Links