LCP first impressions and issues

This is a discussion on LCP first impressions and issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range with my new LCP today to break it in and test my carry ammo so I would feel comfortable carrying it. ...

Thread: LCP first impressions and issues

LCP first impressions and issues

Went to the range with my new LCP today to break it in and test my carry ammo so I would feel comfortable carrying it. Due to the shortage of ammo for the 380 I was stuck shooting reloaded HP's for break in. so I went to the range with 50 rounds of reolads and 25 rounds of Hornady's new critical defense ammo to test for carrying. Impreesions: this little gun is pretty impressive, shoots well, recoil is manageable, accurate for its size. Ok there is the good now for the problems: first off i don't believe any of the problems I had are the guns fault. Set up and fired two mags with slow deliberate well aimed shots at about 10yrds. Shot very well and was accurate. Secondly shot a couple mags using a double tap style, gun easily handled this and second shot was very quick. As I was shooting my final two mags of ammo I had the prob. Third shot out of the mag and only a pffff.., no bang and no recoil, thankfully my head was in the game and I didn't rack another round and pull the trigger again. Looked down and the bullet was stuck in the end of the barrel. Long story short no powder in the barrel just spent case and bullet, think quality control on the reloads may have been bad and someone on the powder dispenser was asleep at the wheel. found a punch and hammer, wrapped the barrel in a shop towel put it in a vice and tapped the bullet out. All good right? Well knida.....Went back to the firing line and loaded some of the critical defense ammo to test, first pull of trigger and nothing, racked the second round all ok for the rest of the mag. Second mag first shot ok second of third nothing, sysled the gun and funished the mag. Did go back and shoot the two failed rounds and they fired without probs. After a little thought I deducted that when I put the barrel in the vice, the shop towel that I wrapped around it took absoultely all the oil off. Think with it being dry the slide didn't fully engage on a couple rounds. I am going to take it to the local smith tomorrow just to be sure and I going to run some more rounds through it before I carry it. As I said overall awesome gun and the probs I attribute to faulty ammo and not enough lubrication. I am used to my glock which will fire after dropped in the sand and kicked down the road for a mile or so. I think this little gun is going to take some more deliberate maintaining in order to be a consistent shooter. Let me know if anyone has any further thoughts. BTW I attached a couple pics of my near oops...
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

My wife's LCP had some FTF issues when we first got it, but about 200 rounds through it, and the problem is pretty much non existent. Typical break in issues.

The new plates that come from Ruger, when gun is returned after the recall fix, with the tail, really help with keeping a grip on the gun. Not great before, but cool now.
    Be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by pwerpla View Post
    Went to the range with my new LCP today to break it in and test my carry ammo so I would feel comfortable carrying it. Due to the shortage of ammo for the 380 I was stuck shooting reloaded HP's for break in. so I went to the range with 50 rounds of reolads and 25 rounds of Hornady's new critical defense ammo to test for carrying. Impreesions: this little gun is pretty impressive, shoots well, recoil is manageable, accurate for its size. Ok there is the good now for the problems: first off i don't believe any of the problems I had are the guns fault. Set up and fired two mags with slow deliberate well aimed shots at about 10yrds. Shot very well and was accurate. Secondly shot a couple mags using a double tap style, gun easily handled this and second shot was very quick. As I was shooting my final two mags of ammo I had the prob. Third shot out of the mag and only a pffff.., no bang and no recoil, thankfully my head was in the game and I didn't rack another round and pull the trigger again. Looked down and the bullet was stuck in the end of the barrel. Long story short no powder in the barrel just spent case and bullet, think quality control on the reloads may have been bad and someone on the powder dispenser was asleep at the wheel. found a punch and hammer, wrapped the barrel in a shop towel put it in a vice and tapped the bullet out. All good right? Well knida.....Went back to the firing line and loaded some of the critical defense ammo to test, first pull of trigger and nothing, racked the second round all ok for the rest of the mag. Second mag first shot ok second of third nothing, sysled the gun and funished the mag. Did go back and shoot the two failed rounds and they fired without probs. After a little thought I deducted that when I put the barrel in the vice, the shop towel that I wrapped around it took absoultely all the oil off. Think with it being dry the slide didn't fully engage on a couple rounds. I am going to take it to the local smith tomorrow just to be sure and I going to run some more rounds through it before I carry it. As I said overall awesome gun and the probs I attribute to faulty ammo and not enough lubrication. I am used to my glock which will fire after dropped in the sand and kicked down the road for a mile or so. I think this little gun is going to take some more deliberate maintaining in order to be a consistent shooter. Let me know if anyone has any further thoughts. BTW I attached a couple pics of my near oops...
    You can say that again...

If you had, the pictures would have been quite impressive.

Stay armed...think ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Good job! You just saved yourself at least the cost of a new barrel. Possibly a lot more.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I think the LCP is a great little pocket gun, I have one in my pocket everyday. Be sure and get a pocket holster for it if you intend to carry it in your pocket.

Two things come to mind about it:
    1. Keep it cleaned regularly, pocket carry can get dirty, I let mine get pretty dirty to see how much it could take and it FTF.
    2. Be sure to wipe it down at the end of the day, especially if you got sweaty. I've seen a slide where rust began.

Welcome to the forum I see this was your first post, and to help us old guys with old eyes, please break apart your posts in the future, paragraphs really make posts much easier to read.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would say you had some crappy ammo for sure. I also got a new LCP and my wife says it ate everything she fed it no problem.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    I would say you had some crappy ammo for sure. I also got a new LCP and my wife says it ate everything she fed it no problem.
    My wife and I both have an LCP and no problems with a variety of ammo.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Same here, no problems with any ammo.
    Good thing that you were paying attention.
    I've been told that the LCP likes grease. I think that ChiefManyWrentches said this, "if it slides grease it, if it turns oil it." Excuse me if I messed your quote up.
    +1 on what PPKHeat said about keeping it clean, pocket lint is no good.

I love my LCP so much, I own two It's more of a close range gun, not something you'd want to use for target practicing. I carry my one LCP on my ankle and I keep the other one stowed away in the glove box, can never have to many guns on you

edit: BTW, you can not shoot powder balls with the LCP, they'll jam. There's also a LCP forum, google it.

Links