goofball gunstore employee

This is a discussion on goofball gunstore employee within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dropped into one of my favorite gun shops after work today ( I'm usually considered part of the furniture) and was annoyed by one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: goofball gunstore employee

DM [OP]

I dropped into one of my favorite gun shops after work today ( I'm usually considered part of the furniture) and was annoyed by one their employees. This guy has been working there since January and was once again advising a man and his wife to purchase a .22 for personal protection (ccw). The gentleman told the salesman that he and his wife travel a lot and his main concern was for his wife in the few instances he might not be with her. The salesman showed them every .22 , .25 and .32 they had in the store. I know that having any gun is better than having no gun , but can't help feeling he was doing them a disservice by not suggesting something with a slightly larger hole in the business end.This same scene has been played out on several of my last trips into the store. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.What are your views?

my question is, does this guy know about different guns, calibers, etc? maybe he's just helping out at the store.
    i've helped out at a couple of stores in the past(grunt work mostly) but when somebody asked me for advice i referred them to the regular employees.
    also, maybe he's just learning. if that's the case one of the more knowledgeable employees should be backing him up

DM [OP]
    No , this guy is a regular , full time employee.The first time I saw him in there I was scared the he was going to shoot himself with his own .32 (or someone else). I don't understand why Jim would hire someone that Knew so little about firearms. I've heard that he shoots his little .32 well , but I'd feel more comfotable knowing that I had something that would be more likely to stop someone who was trying to hurt me a little quicker.

As a salesman, you have to keep the customer in mind. .32 may well be all this woman can handle, or will choose to learn to handle. It is still better than nothing. All the same, I would NEVER recommend a .22 for defensive purposes. If it's what you have when the SHTF, fine, but for goodness sake at least step up to a .32 or .380. I greatly prefer calibers that begin with '.4' myself, but I'm a recoil junky. So yeah, that would bug me too.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

mik
    DM - If you know the manager well enough, talk to him about it. I used to work retail and as a manger, I'd want to know the staff was giving the customer the best advice for their situation. He'll thank you for bringing it to his attention. Or he should.

I agree with you. I'd want to show them something with a little more ooomph to it if they were open to the idea.

Assistant Administrator
    Not just an ''ooomph'' deal either.

IMO a good sales person should be outlining all the options - and basing an assessment on a potential customers feedback to sensible questions.

This would include knowing the shooter's experience if any - having them handle guns to see what feels good in the hand - and then explaining the pro's and con's.

This should IMO include the whole range of cals even if then deciding that small is way to go, this time.

What does bug me is hearing a clerk promote only his or her likes and preferences just because they happen to only know about those. A broad picture needs painted and the colors whittled down to try and suit the needs - of the individual.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i think mik has a good idea. talk to the owner, it can't hurt. maybe the owner doesn't know what's going on. maybe he can help the guy with his selling.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Every one of those people carrying the .22 for SD "will" learn that they were duped. They will not return to that same store, likely. If they do, they will likely be complaining and definitely talking to someone else.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I visit a lot of the local guns stores as i go buy a lot of them during various working days.

What bugs me is exactly what chris is talking about they only push the gun they know or like at a lot of them..

The gun shop that gets most of my money isn't like that they will run the full of have you though of this and that and wheelie vs auto and then rent ya one to try out.

One other shop has a better rental selection but some of the new employee's run me the wrong way especially the young swat guy who cant shoot but thats another story

Sounds like this guy must be the owner's liberal nephew! I had a similar experience in the shop I go to, one salesman always pushing his personal favorite maker. I finally just told him I thought they were overrated and he left me alone. I insulted his babies!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Bad (incomplete) information, bad selling technique, bad customer "event" equals "coachable" (challenged) employee.

The owner/manager needs to know so they can begin coaching and overseeing employee. If not, he'll ruin a bunch of potential customers for life. You owe it to the store - if you're a piece of furniture there they should take it positively.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

A lot of older store employees think that the 22/25/32 options are the 'women's gun' - or it *must* be a 38 five shot snubnose.

I sell a lot of guns appropriate to the customer - I'll sell them a 22 if that's what they want, but I always recommend reconsidering a more potent option.

Ultimately, though, it's their decision.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I own a .22 pocket pistol and love it. I am a great shot with it and even carry it as a backup to my backup while on duty. Yes thats right i normally carry my main then a backup and then another backup. IMO it doesn't matter the size of the bullet but the shot placement. I have seen training video's of officer who have been gunned down with a .22. As long as the customer is happy with the gun and can place a good shot and has a good shot pattern then this gun will do the job. I would rather have a larger caliber than a .22 but sometimes you take what you can get and afford.

I couldn't recommend a .22 for primary defense use.
    The round and most of the guns in that caliber are guns too unreliable, centerfire only for me. My Ruger MKII is very reliable but at it's size I could have a fullsize 1911 or GLOCK 17. Still I do have malfunctions and thats fine for range fun but unacceptable for defense.

A .22 in hand is better than two .45 back home. Most .22’s autos will jam on you. But the Beretta Bobcat is a fine weapon. I have several and they will feed all kinds of .22 ammo without any problems. No matter how fast you pull the trigger. Most peoples do not like a .22 and/or a .25 for defense. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. I carried a Beretta in .25 auto as a backup to my backup on duty for years. Now I have a Kel-Tec P-3AT 380 auto and the .25 auto stays home. The Kel-Tec took some work to make it a gun that you would want to carry on and off duty. It goes everywhere with me now, sometimes as the only gun that I have on me, with one reload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links