Is a 5" barrell revolver too Big for CC?

This is a discussion on Is a 5" barrell revolver too Big for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this may seem a bit far out, but what size revolver would you consider too big too carry on your self for protection?What ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a 5" barrell revolver too Big for CC?

Is a 5" barrell revolver too Big for CC?

I know this may seem a bit far out, but what size revolver would you consider too big too carry on your self for protection?What would you say are the parameters for such, whether its too keep at home, or in your car?

2. Remove Ads

My advice is to get the biggest, most powerful handgun you can shoot accurately. and conceal. If you feel that you can conceal a 5" revolver I say go for it.

All dependent on your body type and if you're comfortable with it.

My old sheriff could've probably concealed a 12" barrel revolver on him no problem(he was huge both height and weight-wise); me personally, probably only a 8"...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Administrator
    Barrels shorter than 5" are absolutely more popular these days.
    That having been said: A vertical shoulder holster would hide it really well.
    Just make sure that you shop for a high quality one that will permit you to draw the firearm without having to draw it out the top. Like an older Bianchi X-15 or a DeSantis swivel rig.

nothing wrong with a 5" barrel if you can handle it hey why not? longer barrel might hinder draw speed is about the only downfall i can see

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    It can be done, it may just take some work. I knew one guy that crazy as it was had a CC holster for a fullsize S&W 500 hunting revolver.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

thanks for responses and your thoughts, obviously there is a "new" reason.
    i have my eyes set on the M&P R8 model 327, its a 5" .357 8 shot revolver that is talking to me. i think it looks lovely. check it out when you have a chance.

I don't think a 5" revolver to big for CC. If it works for you then go for it. I for one can't do it because of my body type and am not a fan of shoulder rigs. Carry the biggest you can.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

I have at times carried a 6" K Frame revolver without concealment problems. My torso is rather short and an untucked sport shirt covers adequately for me. My problem with the longer barrels for concealed self defense carry is the slower and more difficult presentation.

I don't see anything wrong with that length of barrel as long as you are comfortable with it and can concealit

If you can hide it... why not?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

It's not the barrel length that creates problems for concealment, it's the grip...OMO...but I know that to be true.

Stay armed...it's the grip...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    i carry a model 65 in .357 with a 4" barrel i don't have any problems concealing it! i would assume a 5" would not be a problem at all!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    i carry a model 65 in .357 with a 4" barrel i don't have any problems concealing it! i would assume a 5" would not be a problem at all!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's not the barrel length that creates problems for concealment, it's the grip...OMO...but I know that to be true.

Stay armed...it's the grip...stay safe!
    +1 on the grip!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have often concealed 4" DA sixguns, up to N-frame in size, both IWB and OWB. It is not difficult. As already said, it is hiding the grip that is the challenge, and my not-so-large hands prefer small grip panels, which aids concealment, all else being equal.

I had a chance to buy a pre-owned Milt Sparks Summer Special holster made for a 5.5" Colt SAA, and jumped on it. While I don't presently pack an SAA concealed on any kind of regular basis, I did try it on for size, and the ensemble works remarkably well. Keep in mind that the SAA is quite compact, compared to the deeper frame needed to accommodate a DA mechanism, and standard SAA grips are quite small.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links