Kahr K9, E9, P9, or CW9?

Kahr K9, E9, P9, or CW9?

This is a discussion on Kahr K9, E9, P9, or CW9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; N00b here! I've been searching your forums for info on these and just wanna see what the poll would turn out to be? As for ...

View Poll Results: Which Kahr-for-carry do you prefer and why?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • K9

27 32.93%
  • E9

1 1.22%
  • P9

23 28.05%
  • CW9

34 41.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kahr K9, E9, P9, or CW9?

N00b here!

I've been searching your forums for info on these and just wanna see what the poll would turn out to be?

As for myself, I'm currently selling my XD-9 in search of 1 of these and will hopefully be able to find what suits me. (Reliability, comfort in conceal ability, accuracy, and as close to $500 as I can get with a rubber grip and nice sights.)

So have at it! Throw out what you like or dis-like between them.

I carry a 9mm K9 as my main carry weapon. I like the heft of the metal body and find it to be very manageable when firing. It does double taps with little need for major reacquistion of the target. I've never had a hang or failure to fire. I trust it. I'd never had a dedicated double action before, but am quite happy with it's performance. My other weapon is my old Walther PP and I find that I use them for different situations and have no problems with the two actions. Kahr is a fine line.
    Stay Safe.
    GaryMan

CW series. I can afford it.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    It boils down to weight, polymer or steel frame. Otherwise you get essentially the same upper. If you want night sights you'll need a slide with a front dovetail. Right now, it is hard to beat the CW price level unless you find a used model in the other lines at a comparable price.

With a budget of $500, you may also want to include the T9 and TP9 models. You can find these used for around that price break.

The polymer Kahrs carry very well...so slim, so light. The all steel Kahrs are known for remarkable reliability... also slim, not so light, but still acceptable. If shopping for a used Kahr, pay attention to the trigger, the older trigger is not as nice as the newer one. The older trigger is still sold in the K9 as the NYPD model.

I shoot thumbs forward, and I have accidentally pushed up the slide lock lever while shooting my PM9, and CW40 in the past. With the wooden grips installed on my K9, the grip and the slide lock lever are flush, so I am less likely to accidentally lock the gun open.

Last edited by Danimal; May 4th, 2009 at 10:03 AM.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I carry a P9 that I bought used for just about your price range. It is light, slim and relatively easy to shoot. If low weight is important, get a P9 or CW9. If night sights are important, cross the CW9 off the list. The P9 has polygonal rifling, which is better if you are NOT using lead bullets. If you are recoil sensitive, then go with the steel frames, even though the polymer frames don't have that much recoil. I think that only the CW will be in your price range new. Also, you can change the grips on the steel frames.

I've carried a K-9 for almost 15 years now. Many thousands of rounds downrange without so much as a hiccup. I like the added weight and stability of the steel frame. Great trigger and very accurate for it's size.

Two thumbs up.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I love the small size of the PM9 and I shoot it well.

Yea, my friend just picked up a used P9 and we shot it right there. It seemed like the perfect size and weight but the mussel kick just a bit too much for my liking. I see they make a ported barrel, but its straight out of the top, which will cause a nusense (sp). So I'm thinking more towards K9 and having it sent to get that Magna-porting done for an extra $140.

K9

As I got older the 1911 .45 Commander started getting heavy. Switched over to a MK9 but it was too small. Traded it in for a K9 and have found the perfect CCW for me. I keep it loaded with Gold Dot 124 +p. I just can't bear the thought of carrying an alloy or plastic framed gun but i'm sure there are some good ones out there.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

I have the K-9stainless and Blue steel E-9 and use the both quite alot as daily carry pieces. I am old school steel and wood. Sorry to those who like poly but I know what has worked for me and feels good in hand and I shoot better with.

CW9 for me. For the money I don't know what else there is to compete with it. Mine has been flawless with 500+ rounds. Shoot one if you can or at least fondle one before you make your decision.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

The K9 was bought as my "Sunday-go-to-meeting" gun. But since then carrying when I go-to-meeting has been made against the law. So mostly now it's one of the house guns stashed where my wife can get at it, and it really fits her small hand.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Being a past owner of a Kahr P9 I am probably biased, but the pistol was easy to conceal and shoot. So that is the way I voted.

I am currently saving for a Kahr PM9 to replace it.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I was torn; I have a P9 and MK9. The MK9 shoots nice since it's all stainless and weighs more. It also conceals a bit better in the grip but it's one less round. The P9 is slim and trim, great trigger, light and I mean light but reasonable in recoil. Still it does have a bit of muzzle flip.

For pure shooting and the best grip the K9 is superb. It has a softer grip material or you can put wood on it. It's weight/size make it one of the best shooting guns out there. Of course that's an educated guess based on shooting the Mk and the P series and only having held the K9.

Both of my Kahr's have been 100% perfect and they're both the most accurate guns in my collection. I like the simplicity; i.e., no controls except a slide release and I think that could be important in a real life SD situation.

And the trigger's on Kahr's are the smoothest/best DAO triggers I've ever ever shot. Only the single action on my 1911 is better.

I think the PM9 is a great deep concealment gun although it's a tad big for dedicated pocket carry unless you're bigger. I would suspect it's muzzle flip is also more pronounced.

The CW9. If you're on a real budget and can't find a used P9, this is a good option but I don't like the looks as well and they don't feel as smooth as my P9 but that's very subjective. I still think they're a good option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links