My wife found the one.

My wife found the one.

This is a discussion on My wife found the one. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife and I wanted to get out of the house for a while so off we went. As I was driving past a new gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife found the one.

My wife found the one.

Wife and I wanted to get out of the house for a while so off we went. As I was driving past a new gun shop that just opened last week I suggested we stop as I was in last week and saw a couple guns she may be interested in. She was looking for something with a pink frame or grips and they had several.

We had the guy pull out several she asked to see and she held them, the guy was very patient and helpful. I kept my pie hole as quiet as I could and offered advise when needed only. After she held her pink guns I asked the clerk to show ME the S&W 637 Airweight. After I held it for a while I handed it to her for a look see, after a moment or two she turned to me and said I THINK I LIKE THIS THE BEST. She was looking at Charter Arms in pink but I would rather buy her a Smith.

She said I think this is the one I want but I want to think about it overnight, I said OK dear your wish is my command. I'm pretty sure she will get it. Tonight while watching TV she saw someone shooting one handed and ask me if she would ever be good enough to shoot that way. I said after you learn the basics and two handed you should practice and become good one handed. God I love that woman.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I too would recommend an S&W, but the best thing to do is encourage her to buy the one that she likes!

A few years ago, when my wife took an interest in carrying, I saw an ad where Gander Mountain had a Taurus snubby for about $230. We went and looked at it, and at the same time she handled a S&W 642--we ended up spending more on the 642, but she loves it.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

To buy a Charter Arms over a S&W is silly enough...to do it because it is pink is ludicrous!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think as all married men would agree, it's not how much you like it or know which is a better piece of equipment...what makes her happy will eventually make you happy. Because a happy momma (wife) is a happy home!
    TSgt STAPLES
    S&W M&P 45 Compact

Airlight anything, has more recoil. A thought ......

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Airlight anything, has more recoil. A thought ......
    I explained the felt recoil to her but she really likes S&w better. I am only helping her with the info she needs to make a good choice but ultimately the choice is hers.

The reason I asked to see the S&W was to gently steer her towards it and she liked it the best.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I explained the felt recoil to her but she really likes S&w better. I am only helping her with the info she needs to make a good choice but ultimately the choice is hers.

The reason I asked to see the S&W was to gently steer her towards it and she liked it the best.
    You have learned well. The husband that tells his wife anything never gets his way, but the husband that steers his wife in the direction she needs to go will have a much higher success ratio.

I think you were wise in letting her pick her sidearm...wise man.

Our safe has a S&W 637 in it...I had picked it out for my wife, but she prefers the KelTec .32 she spotted one day.

Lately, I have been 'guiding' her to the Glock-26...almost there.

Stay armed...let her choose...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Guidance is all you can offer.....the rest is up the them. If she won't carry it, it does her no good at all. Just like a cell phone (even if it's pink) as long as she will carry it.
    2A is not negotiable

There was one woman in my CCW class and she had a brand new S&W 637 (with pink grips mind you). Her husband had bought her the gun and the CCW class was to be her first shooting experience.

Long story short, after the first cylinder of .38 +P she wanted to sell it to the first interested party in the class at a serious discount. She was not at all prepared for the recoil of such a light pistol, and it was very uncomfortable for her. She really fell in love with a .22 revolver that the instructor provided for people to try out, though I'm not sure how useful that would be for SD purposes.

VIP Member
    Good! I hope she still likes it after shooting it.

Maybe you could also steer her toward some ammo that doesn't have as big a kick as some other types, at least for starting out, so she isn't immediately turned off by the recoil.

Is there any way that your wife can rent the same model gun first? If this is an option, it might be wiser to let her judge the recoil for herself. It's better to learn now if she can handle the recoil than after if you buy it first. Just a thought!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Good! I hope she still likes it after shooting it.

Maybe you could also steer her toward some ammo that doesn't have as big a kick as some other types, at least for starting out, so she isn't immediately turned off by the recoil.
    She has shot some of my big guns like my .357 magnum and .41magnum but I agree with all that caution about the recoil. I reload so I am going to make her some user easy ammo to start off with and progress it to a good SD ammo she is comfortable with.
    I want her to be comfortable with it at all times so she will not be discouraged.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Is there any way that your wife can rent the same model gun first? If this is an option, it might be wiser to let her judge the recoil for herself. It's better to learn now if she can handle the recoil than after if you buy it first. Just a thought!
    There are no ranges around here that rent guns so that is a drawback.

NRA Member

choice, those are wise words. My father taught me, if momma (wife) isnt happy NOONE IS. letting her pick what she is comfortable with is key. If she cant handle it then what good is it to her?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links