XD 45 for carry

This is a discussion on XD 45 for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering an xd45 full size, 4" bbl, 13 rounds in the mag for carry. This would be my first xd. Is the gun drop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD 45 for carry

XD 45 for carry

I'm considering an xd45 full size, 4" bbl, 13 rounds in the mag for carry. This would be my first xd. Is the gun drop dead reliable. I'm not concerned about concealment or comfort. My Mtac will take care of that.
    Last edited by wvshooter; May 4th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have the same gun you are inquiring about. It is a very reliable and accurate design. It is pretty amazing that they were able to stuff 13 rounds of .45 Auto into a handgun that feels like a 9mm. I can conceal mine pretty well using either a shoulder rig or leather belt holster.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I also have a XD 45 4". I'm am not a big guy by any means (6'4" 210) and i have no issue concealing it. I bought a generic (like 10 bucks) but the most comfortable holster i found. Its a iwb. Just like Subnine said, its sooooooo freeeking awsome and balanced. Talk about a hand cannon. I LOVE that thing.

XD is a great platform. Great reputation too. I have shot the 9 and the 45 and was impressed how well the 45 dealt with the recoil
    2A is not negotiable

A very small minority of XD owners on xdtalk.com have reported problems with their XD's when shooting Federal HST ammo. Most XD's shoot it fine, but a few don't. This is the only issue I have heard.

I carry the XD 45 compact.

XD45 and XD9 . . .

. . . are both fine pistols (I have both). The only problem I have had occurred about a year ago with the XD9 (which I shoot more because ammo is cheaper :-) when I experienced two FTE's in the same range session. Upon investigation I found a very dirty extractor hook; I now clean it religiously after every range session and have had no more problems at all -- and I'm somewhere close to 10,000 rounds through the gun. So, be sure to clean your extractor hook (should do this for any semiautomatic anyway) . . .

Zeko

I have about 1500 rounds through mine without a single hiccup. I have shot about 300 rounds of Federal Hydrashok and 1200 rounds of Blazer Brass.

I shot 900 rounds of that my first time out with it, just to get comfortable and see its reliability before I started using it as my CCW. It sure did get dirty shooting that Blazer Brass but it just kept on going.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I chose the XD .45 Compact for that "2 guns-in-one" feel. I can carry it with the 10 rd short mag with a 13 rd back-up. I can also shoot it at the range with the 13 rd for a more comfortable "full size" grip.

Reliable...not one FTF in appx 500-600 rounds.

+1 for the xd .45 compact fit me better than the g30

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have had my XD45acp Service model for well over two years now. I carry it everyday 12 to 16 hours a day. I carry either IWB with my MTac or OWB with the XD Gear holster for now. I have a TT Gunleather holster ordered for OWB carry.

Mine has been absolutely reliable and accurate. Absolutely no malfunctions that were gun related. I did have the problem with HST's not feeding well when I first got the gun but it has since smoothed out and have no problems with HST.

I replaced my mag springs with AGP 20% stronger springs and I think that was the cure. I also installed Trijicon night sights and some home polishing of the exterior bits and pieces.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have the 45 compact and have had zero problems with it. Buy with confidence.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have an XD45c which has been rock solid without failures of any kind.

If you haven't looked into the compact I would recommend doing so. The compact grip fits my hand perfectly, maybe even better than the full sized grip. Even if you're not worried about concealability at the moment, there might come a time when it's an issue and that extra 3/4" makes a big difference.

The difference in round count is negligible when you consider 24 rounds for the compact (with backup 13 round mag) vs 27 for the full size.

My XD45 was a piece of junk; it rusted, jammed, and wouldn't feed HPs. Springfield gave me some nonsense about the gun requiring a 750 round break in period, when I called to inquire about getting it repaired, so I just got rid of it and replaced it with a Glock 21.
    I don't have a very high opinion of that company, or the XD, but it's great if it works for you.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I'm considering an xd45 full size, 4" bbl, 13 rounds in the mag for carry. This would be my first xd. Is the gun drop dead reliable. I'm not concerned about concealment or comfort. My Mtac will take care of that.
    I never leave home without mine. Shot about 1500 rounds through it with no problems. Sights were dead on out of the box. I get 2-3" groups consistantly. Almost just as accurate at 20 yards as 7 yards. Seriously, get it and don't look back. My only suggestion, get the compact version. It comes with the full size extended mag also and it will be much more comfortable for you to change with your clothing. Some T-shirts don't hide it well and you could use the smaller mag with those. Though a good holster will conceal anything. As far as ammo, if you want advice, it shoots Winchester SXT's best and it is great ammo. I carry it with Black Talons which were the predecessor to the SXT's. Can't buy them anymore, such a shame.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

They are reliable and tough. Mine feeds HSTs (standard pressure) no problem. My friend blew his up with a double charged reload. He has since bought a new scale. Springfields customer service was good to him. His reload blew the spring off of the slide stop. They sent him a new one to replace it.

In the process of doing this he noticed his frame got cracked from the reload.
    My friend told Springfield he was shooting reolads told him to send the XD in. They are replacing the frame and with shipping it's costing him about 60 dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links