Springfield XD 45 compact VS Glock 30

This is a discussion on Springfield XD 45 compact VS Glock 30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How does the XD 45 compact compare to the Glock 30, especially slide width?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD 45 compact VS Glock 30

Question Springfield XD 45 compact VS Glock 30

How does the XD 45 compact compare to the Glock 30, especially slide width?

2. Remove Ads

Sorry Glock fans but the XD is a way more comfortable gun. XD 45 handles recoil extremely well too. I have yet to shoot a Glock that I like (IMO)
    2A is not negotiable

In before Sixto.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Glock 30 for the win.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I like the grip better on my XD .45 Compact.

How the grip feels to the individual is important here . . . I tried both a Glock and an XD before settling on the XD, mainly because it simply pointed better for me (I also like the XD's grip safety, but that's another subject). Others I know point the Glock better than the XD -- it's something the individual has to check out for him/herself.

Zeko

I like XD over Glock due to better groupings on target but Glocks are still good.
    Springfield XDm-40
    XDsc-40

Id like to fly...but my wings have been so denied!!!

jfl
    I prefer the original ... it has a loooooong track record.

For the same reason we have Harleys and not less expensive, more advanced Jap bikes.

But it is a matter of trying both yourself...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have an XD45 Compact and a G30SF. I have to say that I like both but they each have their pros and cons. For instance many people have had to get new springs for their XD mags. I haven't but the Glock mags seem to be more durable.

The slide is easier to cycle by hand on the Glock than on the XD. While shooting both will shoot the brass out to the side. However, when cycling by hand to clear a round or malfunction the Glock will still spit that round out while with the XD the round barely leaves the chamber/magazine area. I've even had some round on the XD stay in the pistol.

I like the ambi mag release on the XD. For some reason my G30SF is hard to depress the mag release when shooting with my support hand. This could be thats it's still new with only 150 rounds through it though. I know it took awhile for the mag release to loosen up on the XD so I'm not too worried about it. I like how the mags fly out of the XD when the release is depressed. They're a little slower for the Glock but it's not an issue.

I have a newer XD so it has a good finish and has no rust problems. I think both pistols look good and like both of their finishes.

I like how the slide stop on the Glock is small and thing and has a raised ridge protecting it. The XD's slide stop is bigger and thicker and sticks out past the ridge on the frame. Because of this I have accidentally locked the slide back on partially full magazines twice in the last 550 round I've fired through it. That is a big no-no since if it happened at the range there's a very good chance that it will happen during a high stress self defense incident.

Now for triggers. I like how light the trigger is on the XD. I don't like the long trigger reset or over travel though. It also feels too mushy, not crisp. I love the short travel and reset of the Glock trigger. The Glocks trigger does feel a little heavier but then again I have not fired as many rounds through it yet so it is not completely broken in yet. The XDs trigger felt like it lightened up about 2 pounds after I hit the 400-500 round mark. Although the Glocks trigger is a little heavier feeling right now I also like how it feels crisper than the XD.

Both pistols have been very reliable for me with no feeding or ejecting issues for me. Both have also been very accurate for me, but I do shoot the G30SF more accurately at 25 yards than the XD. The sights aren't an issue since I put XS 24/7 Big Dots on both of them.

I have the same holster for both pistols. It's an AKJ Concealco (AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.) and both conceal very well on me. But in this department I have to give the edge to the Glock. It conceals better than the XD and feels much lighter. I don't have as much of the grip sticking out on the Glock as I do on the XD.

As for the grip both feel good to me. I like them both but I can get a higher grip on the Glock. While shooting the Glock seemed to have a hair more recoil than the XD. That may be due to the XD being a little heavier. You had to be paying attention to really notice though as both pistols were very controllable. My wife felt the recoil on the XD was tolerable but hated it on the Glock. However she can't rack the slide on the XD but can on the G30SF. That's one of the reasons I bought her a G19 for an anniversary present this past week.

All in all I like both pistols and would not give either one up. The Glock 30SF is going to become my primary carry piece over the XD though. I'm just waiting to put some more rounds through it first and my HSTs to show up so I can run some through it first. Sorry about the long post but I wanted to do a good comparison from someone who owns both with the same sights and holster for each pistol. I hope this helps someone out there.

Glock 30sf is all I know, so that gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I have an XD45 Compact and a G30SF.
    Great post. Since you have both, how does the slide thickness compare? The Glock 30 seems to have (has) a thick slide. How about the XD? Thanks

I have handled both...believe t or not the XD feels and looks much blockier. The Glock feels much more streamlined. JMO....I didnt measure either one. You might just find a shop that has both and feel them, and compare. The Glock 45s are VERY accurate. FWIW.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Great post. Since you have both, how does the slide thickness compare? The Glock 30 seems to have (has) a thick slide. How about the XD? Thanks
    I didn't measure the slides but by quickly putting them side to side they are fairly similar. The G30SF and the XD45C are the same width at the base. The Glock keeps the same width from the base of the slide to the top of the slide. The XD tapers on its way to the top.

I find it's easier to carry and conceal the G30SF than the XD45C. If I remember right the Glock is about 6 ounces lighter than the XD. I also find that when in their holsters the Glock's grip doesn't stick out as far to the rear as the XD. This is when I put the holster in the same spot on my belt. In terms of width when actually carrying I can find no difference. I'm using the same holster from the same company made for each pistol so it has been easy for me to compare how they carry.

I like both pistols but I'm leaning towards the Glock for my carry. I'm just waiting to put more rounds down range first.

If I remember right an empty XD 45 Compact is 29 and some change ounces and the Glock 30 SF is 23.99 ounces.

Sorry XD fans but the Glock is a way more comfortable gun. Glock 30 handles recoil extremely well too. I have yet to shoot a XD that I like (IMO)

Did I mention I love my G30 and would not even consider anything but a Glock
    for the pistol that I might have to use to defend my life.

I have owned XD's, Witness, Ruger. several 1911's.
    The Glocks I own now have NEVER EVER failed to fire or have FTF or FTE problems, with any ammo I feed them.

Glock is the only pistol that I can have 100% confidence in.
    Last edited by Longbow; May 5th, 2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelln
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links