Defensive Carry banner

Recommended HD gun?

5K views 53 replies 42 participants last post by  MSGTLEGO 
#1 ·
Just as to carry requires a certain criteria for the "right piece" - what in your opinions, makes the right HD gun?

-Should we have various throughout the house ?
-Should we have one beside the bed with a night laser?
-Should we have one with us at all times?

#2 ·
S h o t g u n

A 12ga shotgun loaded with 7 or 7 1/2 shot to prevent over-penetration. Have your pistol and a good flashlight(SureFire etc)handy also. A pump,autoloader and even a "coach gun" will fit the bill. Good Luck:smile:

#7 ·
A 12ga shotgun loaded with 7 or 7 1/2 shot to prevent over-penetration. Have your pistol and a good flashlight(SureFire etc)handy also. A pump,autoloader and even a "coach gun" will fit the bill. Good Luck:smile:
:gah: Only if he is attacked by birds.

If it can't get through drywall, why would you think if would be effective in stopping a person?

I would go with a pump action shotgun loaded with a slug or 00.

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

#3 ·
Maybe a couple around the house.. I carry at home if it's not near by. For me, it's a Kimber SIS Pro or Custom II. Both are ready. But, my main HD gun is my Bushmaster AR15 loaded with Hornady TAP LE 5.56 75 grain. MUCH more effective than any handgun!

#4 ·
Good dependable 12 gauge like an 870 ora Mossberg 590.

and a good pistol with a dependable flashlight...maybe something high cap that limits your need for reloads, maybe a Glock 17 or 19.

#5 ·
Just as to carry requires a certain criteria for the "right piece" - what in your opinions, makes the right HD gun?
Same as with any other defensive firearm, plus maneuverability.
Penetration may also be a criteria depending on where you live.

I think that any HD needs a good light on it, that way you can see if what your about to open fire on is a burglar or a family member.

Should we have various throughout the house?
Depends on if you have kids or not in my opinion.
Should we have one beside the bed with a night laser?
User preference really, but Id prefer a solid set of night sights instead.
Should we have one with us at all times?
Couldnt hurt :smile:

Heres my HD gun, I keep it loaded with Federal 2 3/4in Vital-Shok 00 Buckshot with Flitecontrol Wad

#53 ·
Same as with any other defensive firearm, plus maneuverability.
Penetration may also be a criteria depending on where you live.

I think that any HD needs a good light on it, that way you can see if what your about to open fire on is a burglar or a family member.

Depends on if you have kids or not in my opinion.

User preference really, but Id prefer a solid set of night sights instead.

Couldnt hurt :smile:

Heres my HD gun, I keep it loaded with Federal 2 3/4in Vital-Shok 00 Buckshot with Flitecontrol Wad
What are the details on your set up?? Looks nice!

#6 ·
My EDC (Kimber Ultra CDP) is my first line of HD...but my coach gun with 12ga OObuck will be another line of defense in case of a perceived direct threat on the homefront.

Stay armed...know what you'll use, use what you know...stay safe!

#8 ·
I'm not a big fan of hiding guns around the house. You are just multiplying the chance of arming the intruder.

My criteria is a WML, mid or full size pistol or 12ga shotgun. Keep it simple.

#12 ·
+1 jfl.

5" of penetration will reach a whole heck of a lot of stuff you don't want perforated in a fight. Major arteries, the lungs, etc.

As for the OP's question, I recommend a 12 GA pump action kept within easy reach at all times, and your EDC pistol with a WML attached.

#15 ·
I used to keep multiple guns in various locations through out my house, but like Sixto said earlier, why chance arming an intruder with one of your own guns. Even my daughter pointed that out to me. So now I just carry one with me when I am at home. Having flapped my gums enough, I would recommend a good mid sized pistol such as Glock 19/23 or a Sig P239 in 9mm or .40 S&W caliber. That way you could keep it with you at all times even when you are at home.

#17 ·
I can understand people not wanting to leave guns around the house... Personally, I usually keep my SIS on me. My Custom II is either in my bedroom in a quick safe or in the living room put up where only my wife and I can get to it. Now, I do leave an AR ready in my bedroom or office, but it's not visible if you don't know where it is. When we go out, my carry gun is with me, the others are locked up.

Also, I see all these shotguns.. How come not many use the AR. According to many, like Gunsite for example, say the AR is a much better choice than the shotgun. Of course, many think the shotgun is best. I think either is fine, but I am much faster moving and shooting my AR's.

Many of these home invasions lately have been numerous intruders, sometimes 3 or 4. I need something very fast. Like that video of those guys pulling up to rob that house and they're met with a hail of bullets. Scares the heck out of me!

#20 ·
I agree with jonconsiglio, IMO an AR such as my Sig 556 is better for HD. I can aim and fire it much faster if need be, than a shotgun. I also have at least 15 more rounds available between reloads, and can reload much faster.
The only advantage to the shotgun IMO is that you don't have to be as accurate with your shot placement.

#21 ·
I agree with jonconsiglio, IMO an AR such as my Sig 556 is better for HD. I can aim and fire it much faster if need be, than a shotgun. I also have at least 15 more rounds available between reloads, and can reload much faster.
The only advantage to the shotgun IMO is that you don't have to be as accurate with your shot placement.
Is the SIG an AR?

#23 · (Edited)
Keep my Springer on me all the time. 870 riot with OO is attached with 2 strips of velcro underneath my sham to the top of the box spring and covered by the sham. You'd never know it's there, but allows easy access. Also have a Beretta Vertec in an Uncle Mikes holster behind a picture frame in the living room for the wife.

I'll take my 870 over my RRA Tactical any day of the week in the house for SD. Can stoke it bout as fast as I can squeeze off rounds from my AR and the damage WILL be very effective and accurate! Also less likely to stir up any trouble with the law over using an ASSAULT RIFLE for SD.

Also have a 105 lb. American Bulldog and an alarm system for early warning. I sleep well at night!! Highly recommend both of them for everyone.

JMO

Bruno :wave:

Springer :wave:

#31 ·
Its simple.... If you have loved ones in the house or live in an apartment, #6 birdshot. I would rather have to shoot the bg twice and not risk hurting or killing a member of my family. If you have no kids and live in a house, I would use #4 followed by 00buck. I believe #4 will go thru 2-3 walls while 00buck will go thru every interior wall in the house (average size home) Best Defense did some testing on this a month or so ago. JMHO

#47 ·
Check this out:

Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3

Primary: Benelli M4 w/ #4 buck
Backup: Kimber SIS 5" 185 gr DPX +P
Very interesting read and results.

I have a few problems with the tests.

Humans are not made of gelatin, and gelatin doesn't have the will to kill and maim. We have skin, bones, and organs to penetrate. What if your invader is a large person wearing a heavy leather coat and hopped up on meth or crack?

I want and demand a shotgun round that will penetrate that person through and through to immediatley stop the attack! 00 buck WILL do that with a COM shot taking out his spine in the process.

Been hunting animals since I was 6 and have plenty of experience hunting and taking game with rounds from .22LR to .375 H&H magnums. I want a round that will penetrate the animal, exit and make a create an exit wound to bleed it out ASAP. 00 buck will do that through a large person wearing heavy clothing.

I have no children in the house but even when I did I still had that 870 stoked with 00.

JMO and sticking to it.

Respectfully,

SG

#35 ·
IMHO the minimum number of guns for home defense is two.

I don't like stashing guns around the house in various places. I wear my gun if I am dressed. Otherwise it is nearby. Nearby to me means within arm's reach. That's for the handgun. Yes, I actually pick it up and take it with me to the bathroom. :smile:

I have a gun near the bed. That is the only "stashed" gun. It's my shotgun that I use for home defense. It has a tritium front sight and a light attatched to it with a pressure switch.

For checking out that "bump in the night" I like a handgun, with a flashlight in my support hand. Since I don't know what made the "bump" I don't want a light on my gun because if it's a visitor or family member I do not want to be pointing a loaded gun at them as I search out the cause of the noise.

If on the other hand I know that the bump was made by an unauthorized intruder, then it's time for the shotgun from a barricaded position. The purpose of the shotgun is to be a final defense option with the terminal effectiveness to stop the threat.

I myself prefer 00 Buckshot, as the layout of my house pretty much guarantees that no rounds will penetrate through a brick wall and harm anyone outside the house. Remember the shotgun is being used from a fixed position. The handgun, if I'm searching the house is for fighting my way back to the shotgun, as it's more portable.

As far as lights and lasers, as I already said, light on the shotgun and light in my support hand for the handgun. The handgun has a laser grip on it and I wouldn't be without it on a handgun as it helps with accuracy in a dim-light combat type situation. The handgun also wears Night Sights, as does the shotgun.

I don't like the shotgun for searching and clearing a building, as I find too many disadvantages with it. Raids and Dynamic Entries are very different from searching your home for a possible intruder.

Just some things to keep in mind. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

#37 ·
My home defense weapon is my self defense weapon, a Kimber Tactical Pro II .45ACP loaded with 185gr DPX +P... that, and a good SureFire flashlight and lots of night shooting practice with them both. :image035:

But if someone wants to buy me a Benelli M4 I'll change up!:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.