First Handgun/CCW questions

This is a discussion on First Handgun/CCW questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I will be turning 21 here in about 2 months and was wondering what your guys opinions of a good first HD/CCW/Target pistol is. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Handgun/CCW questions

First Handgun/CCW questions

Well I will be turning 21 here in about 2 months and was wondering what your guys opinions of a good first HD/CCW/Target pistol is. I am interested in the Glock 26/19 and Sig 229, but the Glock's price tag is much easier on my budget. What do you guys think about this? I am not against going another route and would even be up for some kind of revolver to start with, but I just need it to fit the duel role well.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I say a compact Glock, it fits better for a first time CC. One thing is its your finger on the trigger so get the one that fits you. One Glocks have .22conversions out, i think for some of the Compacts. Two a compact glock still takes fullsize mags. Three they shoot well. Four simpler.
    So I say the 26,...or maybe a 30.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

You'll see why I recommend a G26 in my signature. I'm sorta biased for that reason toward Glocks. They are quality made firearms & they won't break your budget. I would love a Sig but like you I do have to live on a budget.

You can't go wrong with a G26. I never regret buying mine. You can always buy magazines for a G17/19 and use them in you G26. I have three 15-round magazines with sleeves to give me more capacity if need be. The fact that all the 9mm Glock fit each other's magazines is a good point to keep in mind.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I suggest taking some time at a shooting range. There, you should be able to try different models; styles of grips recoil etc. Fine tune your choices, narrow them down and don’t try to make your decision overnight….your life could depend on it!
    Good luck.
    "We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots." ~Charles F. Browne

SIG P226 w/ Hogue grips
    SIG P232 w/ Hogue grips

Check out the Kahr PM9... I had been planning to get a Glock originally but heard about the Kahr....they are slimmer and easier to conceal with some range reports indicating they are just as accurate if not more than a compact glock. (Not trying to start a debate here). I have the stainless steel version and absolutely love it. You could definitely pocket carry the PM9 which is a selling point for some CCW'ers.

With a little luck you could find one about the same price as a glock.

Kahr PM9 Day At The Range

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I agree, do your self a favor and look at Kahr. Most who shoot them forget about Blocks, I mean Glocks. The CW series is an outstanding value and the PM9 is the gold standard in small pocket 9mm handguns. People who drink the Glockaid find they have trouble shaking hands or turning door knobs because their wrists are always at a strange unnatural angle!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

First off.. go to your local gun shop and asked them to take the time for you to handle different pistols and revolvers and see what is comfortable FOR YOU. The go to the range and shoot some of the different calibers to see again what YOU are comfortable with. Take a local NRA gun handling courses, and then practice, practice, practice.
    When comes to what to buy always go with the best quality you can afford.

When I got my first I was drawn to these two guns as well (Sig 229 vs Glock 26). The best thing I can say is shoot em. I shot the Glock and realized I did not like the feel of it. The sig is a dream, and that's why I have it right next to me now!!

One Glocks have .22conversions out, i think for some of the Compacts.

So do the Sigs!!

Well based on what you are asking for...I think the Kahr P9 is one of the most naturally feeling guns in my hand I have ever handled. That being said...I EDC a G23, same size as a G19. For a beginning CCW/shooter as urself, I would recommend the G19 first then maybe a G26 later. The PM9s take a little getting used to...and require definite care and maintenance to get them to function 100%. Glocks are like a small foreign car....they just seem to run forever with little work. OH and do yourself a favor and get Night sights first off.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Well I will be turning 21 here in about 2 months and was wondering what your guys opinions of a good first HD/CCW/Target pistol is. I am interested in the Glock 26/19 and Sig 229, but the Glock's price tag is much easier on my budget. What do you guys think about this? I am not against going another route and would even be up for some kind of revolver to start with, but I just need it to fit the duel role well.
    I like revolvers and started my career with them, so I may be a bit predjudiced in that regard.

Since you are looking at trying to fulfill two or three roles from one gun I suggest you decide which role is most important to you. Target, Range, Home Defense or Concealed Carry, which is the primary role the gun is to fill? While the same gun may fill many of those roles, no gun I suggest to you is going to excell at any of them. Some will do very well for your purposes though.

If it were me, and it was at one time, I would look at a 4" Revolver or a Glock 19/23/32. Or you could be really different and go with a 5" 1911 or a 4 5/8" High Power. See my avatar if you want a clue as to what I went with for an off duty carry gun.

Biker

PS: It comes in a .40 too.

I was just in your position, and I went with the Glock 23. It's small enough to conceal with the right holster, but larger than the subcompact, so it shoots better. If it's your only gun, it's a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    I carried the Glock 19 in law enforcement and then under a CCW from 1994 until just a few weeks ago when I switched to a Kimber Ultra Carry II -- I highly recommend the Glock 19.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

In your situation, I would go with a Glock 19 or S&W M&P9. Compact vs. sub-compact, in my opinion, are easier to learn on and more forgiving, thus leading to less frustration as you gain experience. Compacts also can complete more tasks like the HD and target roles you mentioned. The Kahr PM9 is definitely a great gun for concealed carry but it is not a beginners gun.

With all the recommendations being given for the Glock 19 I feel I would be remiss if I didn't post this:

I would go with a Glock 23 or 32.

The reason is, with just a simple Barrel change you can shoot .40 out of a 357 Sig or 357 Sig out of a .40. With a Barrel and Magazine change you can shoot 9mm out of the 23 or 32.

Given the recent unavailability of ammunition I think versatility in a platform is a good option to have. My .40 is waiting for a 9mm "down conversion barrel" and I'm probably going to send my other High Power, also a .40, to be fitted with a 357 Sig barrel.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links