your best advice for CC handgun?

This is a discussion on your best advice for CC handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and have to say that I'm enjoying the threads. They're all very informative and with great discussions. I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: your best advice for CC handgun?

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and have to say that I'm enjoying the threads. They're all very informative and with great discussions. I'm trying to find a good CC handgun for myself. I own an H&K USP .45 comp. but found it printed too much, even with an IWB, not to mention it being uncomfortable. A friend of mine is letting me borrow his Glock 27 (.40 S&W) subcompact and I bought a Bianchi pancake holster for it and it feels great and doesn't print. I'm thinking of getting one, but was wondering what everyone else carries and maybe let me know if there are better guns to consider. Thanks in advance for the advice!

There are no better guns than GLOCK
    that said a gun with a single stack mag. will CC better
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Welcome to the forum! That's a tough question since it's personal choice. I carry a S&W J frame in a front pocket when I need to be tucked in. When I can be untucked I carry a 3" S&W model 65 OWB. I like 1911s, but they gouge me. The revolvers are more comfortable for me.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

j-frame, kel tec 9mm, khar 9mm or fullsize 1911

Its all personal choice and comfort. I love my Kimber 1911....slim and powerful. I also carry my H&K P2000SK.....much smaller, more capacity, and lighter.

Some only want pocket pieces and those may do just fine for you too
    2A is not negotiable

Welcome to the forum! I personally carry a Glock 27. I love it. I'm in insurance sales and my territory is a pretty rough part of town, so throught the week i've got it in an IWB on my stongside. On our Friday meetings, I generally wear it in an ankle holster just for the comfort of sitting there for several hours. Conceals great there too. The 27 is awesome and can be worn comfortably so many different ways. I would definitely reccommend it.

I like the sub compacts in this order:
    H&K P2000
    SA XD
    S&W M&P
    Glock

My preference is .40 but 9mm does not have any drawbacks for me, just a personal preference.

Welcome to the forum.

Do not indulge the "this gun maker is better than that gun maker" idea. They are tools.

They all have their issues and no one manufacturer makes a gun that suits everyone.

Its a personal preference kinda thing. Try several and then make your selection(s).

I like to change up my carry so I have a few different weapons. Id say add a revolver to the mix though.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    There are no better guns than GLOCK
    that said a gun with a single stack mag. will CC better
    Obviously this is opinion.....mine is different. If you haven't tried a Sig yet, you need to. I carry a Sig P220, much larger than your current gun, so I will recommend something smaller. The Sig P239 would fit the bill nicely. It's a single stack in a 9mm, .357sig, or .40s&w. You'll get a lot of OPINIONS here when you ask a question like this.

Your choice should be based on several factors:
    1- Quality -there are many quality manufacturers.
    2- Reliability -most of the good quality guns will be dependable.
    3- Manual of arms -functions you are comfortable with and can use w/out thinking about them.
    4- Fit, Finish, and Feel -pick a gun that you like the look and feel of, a gun that fits your hand, that you can reach and function properly.

If I missed anything important...let me know.

IMO...Nothing beats a Sig....at least for me
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Cool

Checkout the Kahrs. They are designed specifically for CCW. Compare the deminsions. Kahr Arms | Maker of high quality handguns in USA

Welcome to the forum. That is a loaded question and you will get alot of personal preferences. The answer has to be what your personal preference is and what you feel comfortable using. I personnally have 3 carry guns, XD 45c , G21 (gen II) and a G19. I feel 100% comfortable with the XD. I carry it everyday. I will switch up on occassion but the XD is what I feel the best carrying. I can carry with the 10rd mag when it must be worn tucked in or the 13rd mag with an untucked button down or loose t-shirt. I have XS big dot sights on it and it is very comfortable in its Supertuck. You will get many different answers and opinions. It is what you are good with and comfortable using if the need should arise. Only in a free country can we have a discussion on which handgun is better to carry. Lets fight together to keep it free.
    Happy hunting.
    XD45c and G19...Because I can and this is still America at least for a little while longer.
    Food for thought - If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
    Any mouse-flavored cat food?
    Only in America do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    As everybody else has said--it is mostly a matter of personal choice and preference. Due to my age I grew up in the Army on the 1911. I love its reliability, its tested history and the thumb AND grip safety. It is nice and slim and conceals real well. I have a Kimber Ultra carry (3" bbl) in .45. I actually enjoy shooting the small Kimber more than my old Colt Commander that I've had for more years than I care to elaborate The one drawback to the single -stack pistols is lack of ammo capactiy--but everything is a trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Obviously this is opinion.....mine is different. If you haven't tried a Sig yet, you need to. I carry a Sig P220, much larger than your current gun, so I will recommend something smaller. The Sig P239 would fit the bill nicely. It's a single stack in a 9mm, .357sig, or .40s&w. You'll get a lot of OPINIONS here when you ask a question like this.

Your choice should be based on several factors:
    1- Quality -there are many quality manufacturers.
    2- Reliability -most of the good quality guns will be dependable.
    3- Manual of arms -functions you are comfortable with and can use w/out thinking about them.
    4- Fit, Finish, and Feel -pick a gun that you like the look and feel of, a gun that fits your hand, that you can reach and function properly.

If I missed anything important...let me know.

IMO...Nothing beats a Sig....at least for me
    +1 I think the SIG P239 DAK in .357sig will be my next carry gun... With some Heinie straight eights oh yeah!

1911's are pretty flat and pack a big punch. If you like Glocks, check out XDs (they're better... - I'm teasing)

What is your price range? Keep in mind that in the long run you will burn way more money in ammo than the cost of the gun. Get what you want to start with so you don't end up regretting your purchase.

Due attention will have to go towards model, caliber, carry method, holster, belt, and how you dress, as well as your lifestyle. The best advice is try as many guns and combination as you can and see what works for you. It's a lengthy process.

There's lots of threads on this forum about this topic.

Welcome from the keystone state!
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Welcome from the Volunteer state...

One thing you will quickly determine...it takes several guns to choose from for different carry scenarios.

I am currently carrying a Glock 27 .40
    In the cooler months with a vest or jacket I carry an XD .45 Compact
    I sometimes carry an S&W j-frame .38 spl
    and nearly always carry have a Ruger LCP in my RF pocket

Never limit yourself to how many gun options you have to choose from.

Great advice on this thread. IMHO I would get a gun that fits your hand comfortably and you can shoot really well.

Once you settle on a gun dress around the gun. I have a Glock 23 for EDC and I can carry my G35 just as easily. I've also carried a full size 1911. A single stack really does carry well. I have a Minatour MTAC holster and Beltman Horse hide belt. A good belt / holster combination really helps with CC. BTW the MTAC slide model I have fits all Glock models in 9mm, 357 sig and 40 cal.

I wear button downs and golf shirts 99% of the time, just be sure they are large enough to cover your CCW. As much as you think you are printing I’ll bet it’s not that bad. Most people won’t notice and aren’t looking anyway. Heck, around the house I wear shorts with a draw string and my MTAC with a G35 and only a Tee shirt over it. I haven’t had a visitor notice I’m packing yet. I even told a few close family members and had to show them before the believed it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links