Kahr P9 range report

Kahr P9 range report

This is a discussion on Kahr P9 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's not as extensive as I would like, but here goes. I took it to the range Saturday while shooting with my parents. We each ...

Thread: Kahr P9 range report

Kahr P9 range report

It's not as extensive as I would like, but here goes. I took it to the range Saturday while shooting with my parents. We each took a turn shooting a mag or two at 25'. All ammo used was Winchester White Box 115 gr. FMJ. I thoroughly cleaned the gun before firing and lubed it up with Tetra Gun grease and Rem-Oil. Accuracy was very good from all shooters, we each got 3" groups or better offhand at 25'. None of us had any failures to fire or eject.

Now for the bad part. At least 10 out of 68 rounds wouldn't feed into full battery. The slide would stop about 1/4" short of full closure. This happened most often when loading the first round from the magazine. It also happened during fire, but not as often. In each case, a sharp tap to the rear of the slide seated it fully. Since I haven't completed the 200 round break-in, I'm not too worried about it, but I don't like it either. At this point I have a few theories; the chamber may be too tight, the recoil spring may be weak, the grease may be thick enough to jam up the works, or the cheap ammo may not work well in this pistol. Have any other Kahr owners had similar problems, and if so what was the culprit? I'm going to try different ammo next time, and I'll lube it with Rem-Oil instead of grease to see if that fixed the problem. Next is the recoil spring, then a call to Kahr.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Pass on the Rem oil that stuff doesn't work worth a crap..

Hopefully after the 200 round break-in it will run good for ya

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    dont sweat it yet , kahrs are kinda infamous for that issue ( not returning to full battery ) untill broken inn, my personal view is that the little beast is still getting the plastic moulding of the frame ground off the rails ... keep us posted tho

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Smile

Sounds like a "Fluff and Buff" might be a good idea.

I do this with all my pistols - it can be as simple as a
    detail strip/check for burrs,rough spots - or you can
    do a complete light polish on moving parts.
    (NO POWER TOOLS)

I find this is almost the equivalent of firing acouple hundred rounds,
    but do your breakin per the manual of course.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    My two cents so be careful with it...

Be sure you didn't go too heavy on the grease/oil then get a couple hundres rounds of white box and have at it. I suspect it'll disappear by then. If not I'd give it to Kahr and I wouldn't be surprised to find they change out the spring. How hard is it to rack the slide? Of course that's a subjective question. Mine take a definite effort. It's certainly not what I would say as "easy".

I wouldn't be one bit concerned until after I'd fired 2-300 rounds and it kept doing the same thing...

So back to the range with it, after a thorough cleaning and very light lub.

God Bless

Gideon

OK, glad to hear this isn't an uncommon issue. The slide isn't too terribly difficult to work, but I have unusually stong hands so that doesn't really say much. It'll go to the range again tomorrow to complete the break-in, if the issue remains I'll try a stiffer spring then talk to Kahr. To be continued...
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Sponsored Links