Astra A-80

This is a discussion on Astra A-80 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my nieghbor offered to sell me his astra a-80 chambered in .45 auto. I have no idea what its worth, I dont know if ...

Thread: Astra A-80

Astra A-80

So my nieghbor offered to sell me his astra a-80 chambered in .45 auto. I have no idea what its worth, I dont know if there are parts available. Does anyone have one or carry one. Also what is the difference between .45 auto and .45 acp? Thanks for the input.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” - Ben Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Its the same round, the Europeans tend to call the .45 acp (automatic Colt Pistol) round .45 auto. Astra was a Spanish firearms company that stopped production around 1978 or so then merged with Star another Spanish firearms company and continue making guns under the Astra name for a few more years until Star went out of business several years ago. The later Astra pistols like the A80 are generally patterned after SIG pistols. I owned an Astra A70 .40 many years ago and it was a solid decent handgun but a little rough around the edges as far as fit and finish. As far a price for very good example, hard to say, some one may have a Blue Book of gun values handy and can give you some pricing. Parts will be hard to come by thats for sure. As far as quality of later Astra pistols, I would say only average at best. Blue Book may say its worth more but personally even for a 95% plus gun I would give no more than say $225-250 at best, since replacement parts will be very hard to find and its not a real collectors item. Unless you can get it real cheap I would pass and spend my hard earned gun money on something else, unless you have a special thing for Spanish guns like Astra, Star and llama. I do like some of the Star handguns and own a Star m43 Firestar which is a fine little all steel 9mm.

The word is a Swiss company has purchased the Astra trade marks and may start making guns under the Astra name again.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have an A-100 my old man got me about 15 yrs ago. I shot it alot earlier on, but didn't shoot it for about 12 yrs until about 4 months ago. It's been decent the last couple times at the range, but I'm going to try to trade it in with a dealer. I like it, but I think I need a new barrel and a new mag. The spare parts are about as much as the gun is worth, I think.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    i have an astra 400 works like a charm!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Distinguished Member
    A great solid gun. During the 90's the US Coast Guard was looking at purchasing the A-80 /A-90. I was sent to Astra to review their manufacturing process while serving as an Attaché in Spain.

They were producing a quality, modern manufacturing-process gun. Unfortunately, they just didn't have the production capacity to serve the needs of the US Government, so they were not purchased.

Based upon my 2 day in-depth tour of the factory and the manufacturing process in Guernika, Spain, BUY IT!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Can't speak specifically on the A-80, but I do have an A-75 .40 cal. Traded a friend for it about 12 years ago and have never regretted it. Used it as my first CC weapon for several years before upgrading. It spends most of it's time now as my nightstand gun. Only drawback to it is limited round capacity since it is a single stack.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post

The word is a Swiss company has purchased the Astra trade marks and may start making guns under the Astra name again.
    I have an A-80 9mm. Excellent gun, but can't get parts. Anything you can get is very expensive and used. I would not recommend buying these guns unless someone buys the trademarks/schematics and starts making new parts for them again. I'd love to get a new barrel and some magazines for mine. Anyone know if parts are being manufactured again?
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Its the same round, the Europeans tend to call the .45 acp (automatic Colt Pistol) round .45 auto. Astra was a Spanish firearms company that stopped production around 1978 or so then merged with Star another Spanish firearms company and continue making guns under the Astra name for a few more years until Star went out of business several years ago. The later Astra pistols like the A80 are generally patterned after SIG pistols. I owned an Astra A70 .40 many years ago and it was a solid decent handgun but a little rough around the edges as far as fit and finish. As far a price for very good example, hard to say, some one may have a Blue Book of gun values handy and can give you some pricing. Parts will be hard to come by thats for sure. As far as quality of later Astra pistols, I would say only average at best. Blue Book may say its worth more but personally even for a 95% plus gun I would give no more than say $225-250 at best, since replacement parts will be very hard to find and its not a real collectors item. Unless you can get it real cheap I would pass and spend my hard earned gun money on something else, unless you have a special thing for Spanish guns like Astra, Star and llama. I do like some of the Star handguns and own a Star m43 Firestar which is a fine little all steel 9mm.

agree. I have two Star Firestars, and since Star went belly up about 15 years ago, replacement parts are pretty much non existent. Mags are no where to be found. If you can get them cheap, ok.....otherwise invest in something more current.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I had one for 15 plus years and have never fired it. Ergonomically, it's well designed and mags can be found for it. But as far as other parts go? You be the judge.............

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I personally would not buy a gun no longer produced with spare parts/mags being as scarce as teeth in a meth addicts mouth for carrying,save your money for a gun that has spare parts/mags available from the manufacturer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I owned, shot and carried an A-80 for years. Reliable and well built.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I had one for 15 plus years and have never fired it. Ergonomically, it's well designed and mags can be found for it. But as far as other parts go? You be the judge.............

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
    I noticed that most of the parts listed are "SOLD OUT" - it seems to be that way for every supplier when it comes to these guns. I'd like to get a new barrel for mine (9mm). I was able to get my hands on 2 (used) magazines for it about 4 months ago. Cost me over $100 with shipping.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

jyo
    Unless you can buy this pistol really really cheap, I personally would pass---its been out of production for decades and wasn't really a top flight gun when it was new.

I had an A80 in 38 super and loved it,hate I sold it when I got married. Been looking for another one but no luck so far.

Links