Breaking in new Kahr CW9

Breaking in new Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Breaking in new Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After trying various gun-holster combinations, I finally settled on pocket carry of a Kahr CW9 (yes, it takes big pockets, but my gracious and understanding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in new Kahr CW9

Breaking in new Kahr CW9

After trying various gun-holster combinations, I finally settled on pocket carry of a Kahr CW9 (yes, it takes big pockets, but my gracious and understanding wife is lengthening pockets for me). The various horror stories I have heard about jams and FTE's during the 200-round breakin period sounded like they might be due to magazine breakin as much as anything else, so I adopted the following procedure. It's quite probable that it was unnecessary, but it made me feel more confident anyway.

To start with, I worked the springs of my two magazines (I bought an extra one) by filling each one with 7 rounds, then emptying them; repeated this 3 times, seeing a noticeable easing of magazine spring tension. Then, at the range, I shot the first of two boxes of ammo putting 5 rounds in each magazine at a time. The second box was shot filling each magazine to its full 7-round capacity. No problems of any kind were experienced (except that I still need to learn to shoot the CW9 accurately; the resulting targets are too embarrassing to reproduce here).

The first box was PMC brass; the second was CCI aluminum cased. Both were FMJ -- JHP will come during the next range session next week.

In summation, the CW9 shot well -- much better than I did. Next week I'll see how it shoots Hornady JHP rounds.

Zeko

VIP Member
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. I have a CW9 and have had no problems after the first 50 rounds. I think that was my fault because I was running it almost dry. The CW9 seems to run better well lubed.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Zeko, I carry my CW9 in my left front pocket and have for about 6 months now. It works great. I wear Dockers for work, church, etc. and Propper Tac pants for everything else. The pockets on both are big enough for the Kahr and my pocket holster. See this thread for photos: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-holsters.html

I have put several hundred rounds through my Kahr and have had no problems. The rounds have been inexpenive FMJ to JHP to Federal Expanding Full Metal Jackets in +P. It shoots well and is quite accurate. I do most of my practice left handed with the Kahr since it stays in the left front pocket.

Enjoy your great little firearm.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Nice little pistols, these CW9's.

I took mine out of the box, cleaned and lubed, and fired 400 rounds thus far, with no failures of any kind. (left over hollowpoints, mostly...with some FMJ mixed in)

I dig that kind of reliability.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    By most reports the biggest problem with the CW9 may be light strikes, not feed, magazine or ejection problems. Personally I think the light strikes may be hard primer related. My Kahrs have always fed well, been accurate and handle recoil well. While most of the rounds through my CW9 have been ball ammo, I've yet to experience any problem with the hollow points run through it...Hornady TAP or Gold Dot. Enjoy your new Kahr.

I have over a couple of thousand rounds thru mine. Never a problem, not even in the "break in" period. I pocket carry all the time. The only trouble I have pocket carrying is because of the extra 20 pounds that I gained in the last year. You see I got married !! I married the most wonderful woman in the world. And she carrys too.

Carry a P9 daily with 1500 rounds with no FTF. I put a couple hundred rounds through it before it became my EDC.

I have a CW40 with 250 rounds and no problems. I can carry it in my jeans front pocket with a Mike number 4 pocket holster and with an IWB. I am a big guy ( 6ft 295)and thought the IWB would be a problem but it works well with a big enough shirt....now that is another problem.

dusty

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    By most reports the biggest problem with the CW9 may be light strikes, not feed, magazine or ejection problems. Personally I think the light strikes may be hard primer related. My Kahrs have always fed well, been accurate and handle recoil well. While most of the rounds through my CW9 have been ball ammo, I've yet to experience any problem with the hollow points run through it...Hornady TAP or Gold Dot. Enjoy your new Kahr.
    My CW9 did have some light primer strikes between 200 and 300 rounds. It happened with at least five different brands of ammo so that pretty much ruled out the hard primer theory.

I e-mailed Kahr for a new striker spring under warranty which was promptly sent. I detail stripped the slide and cleaned the oil, brass shavings , etc out of the striker channel. I then installed the new spring [which was longer and seemed a little stiffer] and put everything back together.

The next range trip I found the problem was solved. You could definitely tell a deeper indentation was made on the primers with the new spring installed. They also seemed to strike closer to center.

If you like a 9mm, I feel the CW9 is one of the best kept secrets in a carry gun.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    My CW9 did have some light primer strikes between 200 and 300 rounds. It happened with at least five different brands of ammo so that pretty much ruled out the hard primer theory.

I e-mailed Kahr for a new striker spring under warranty which was promptly sent. I detail stripped the slide and cleaned the oil, brass shavings , etc out of the striker channel. I then installed the new spring [which was longer and seemed a little stiffer] and put everything back together.

The next range trip I found the problem was solved. You could definitely tell a deeper indentation was made on the primers with the new spring installed. They also seemed to strike closer to center.

If you like a 9mm, I feel the CW9 is one of the best kept secrets in a carry gun.
    I did the same thing, replacing the striker spring early on, and went perhaps another 500 rounds without incident. Recently I experienced a couple light strikes again. This time it was right after cleaning the firing pin channel. I'm not sure what to think about this. My other Kahrs do not exhibit this problem for some reason.

My ammo usage is limited to UMC, NATO ball for practice, and a couple carry rounds... usually Hornady or Gold Dot. Only the UMC has been problematic. My CW9 now has about 900 rounds through it, with a total of 8 light strikes.

Love my new Kahr-CW9, but some questions

Hi Folks.

Read the booklet that told me to disassemble the Kahr and lube it prior to shooting, and that was a bear of a job. I was not looking forward to doing it again.
    Put 200 rounds of FMJ both 115gr. and 124 gr. (100 of each), and when I disassembled it for cleaning, it came apart and reassembled as smooth as silk!

I had no trouble with either the 115 or the 124 Am. Fed. Red Box, but then I shot 50 rounds of 115gr. Lawman, and the vibration or whatever, the gun seemed to bite my trigger finger. Went back to the Red Box, and the "problem" went away.

I am not concerned about shooting the +p rounds that I have, even though the CW-9 is rated for it. Anyone have a situation like that?

Also, where I can buy extra mags for the CW-9? Are the ProMags just as good as the factory mags from Kahr? The factory is $44 plus shipping, and the ProMags are about half as much. Any suggestions?

Finally, and I know this is a personal preference, but I just got my CW permit to carry, and what is the best way to conceal carry the CW-9?

I have a 31 inch waste and am 5 ft. 8 in. tall. In the waste or outside the waste, any preference? Whose and what holsters should I look at? There are so so many>

Thanks for your help.

Gunsmith

VIP Member
    I got my Kahr mags from Cheaper Than Dirt, I think they were $29, when I last purchased them. I bought the 8 round mags with the small extension.

I carry IWB with an MTAC from Comp-Tac and I pocket carry with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunsmith View Post
    Hi Folks.

Read the booklet that told me to disassemble the Kahr and lube it prior to shooting, and that was a bear of a job. I was not looking forward to doing it again.
    Put 200 rounds of FMJ both 115gr. and 124 gr. (100 of each), and when I disassembled it for cleaning, it came apart and reassembled as smooth as silk!

I had no trouble with either the 115 or the 124 Am. Fed. Red Box, but then I shot 50 rounds of 115gr. Lawman, and the vibration or whatever, the gun seemed to bite my trigger finger. Went back to the Red Box, and the "problem" went away.

I am not concerned about shooting the +p rounds that I have, even though the CW-9 is rated for it. Anyone have a situation like that?

Also, where I can buy extra mags for the CW-9? Are the ProMags just as good as the factory mags from Kahr? The factory is $44 plus shipping, and the ProMags are about half as much. Any suggestions?

Finally, and I know this is a personal preference, but I just got my CW permit to carry, and what is the best way to conceal carry the CW-9?

I have a 31 inch waste and am 5 ft. 8 in. tall. In the waste or outside the waste, any preference? Whose and what holsters should I look at? There are so so many>

Thanks for your help.

Gunsmith

I'm in the same size range as you, at 5'8" with 33" waist. I prefer to carry IWB myself and am also considering a Kahr due to it's extremely slim width profile. I would recommend a quality holster with offset clips or loops... lots to choose from. For long duration carry comfort, steer clear of the holsters with the clips attached directly to the belt side of the holster body as they do add extra unnecessary bulk. (my problem is that I KNOW I have a 33" waist, my wife buys me 34" pants and they are still shrinking)

surv

Bud's has some good prices on Kahr mags: Kahr Magazines
    Cloudpeak

I've carried the CW9 for some time now and love it. I bought it because I prefer the DAO trigger system. It's been my primary carry weapon since it's first range session. It's performed flawlessly with several kinds of defense loads and it's as accurate as I can be. If I miss my target, It's my fault.

Before I got this baby, I carried my G23 or my Taurus 24 7 .40. Wow! I never really knew what, or how much lighter 7 or 8 ounces felt like over the course of a full day of carry until my CW9. I carry in a Don hume IWB that was ordered for my Taurus. The place where I ordered it sent the wrong one out, but it just happened to fit my CW9 perfectly. Just dumb luck I suppose.

I thought I would have trouble letting go of my .40 caliber security blanket, but after a little research and some range time, no worries. I use the Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection - 9mm Luger +P. The #s, Velocity/Energy (in foot pounds) 1220 / 410. It's a potent round, just under the Speer Gold Dot .40, very comfortable with this rounds ability to stop an attacker. Since the weapon is rated for the +p round, I figured I would give up some weight and go slim for comfort and retire the .40s to home defense.
    I agree with "Sharpetop" about the weapon being a great carry pistol. I think this weapon is a real sleeper... For $400 and change, for me, it's like carrying a double action slimmed down glock with some serious fire power.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links