Need to know how much recoil the "Judge" has..

This is a discussion on Need to know how much recoil the "Judge" has.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currenty letting my mom use my 410 shotgun for HD, but she really wants a handgun to keep near her at all times ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to know how much recoil the "Judge" has..

I am currenty letting my mom use my 410 shotgun for HD, but she really wants a handgun to keep near her at all times without having to lug the SG around. Thing is, she has never shot an handgun. First I thought that a 4"barrel 38 special would do, but I worried that she wont be able to hit anything. If I installed a laser, it would have to be the more expensive crimson trace. I think the Judge would be perfect, but I dont know how much recoil they have. I would want her to get the heaviest one to help with recoil, no ultralights. To judge owners....Does this gun have alot of recoil? I know its relative and everyones different. In the end, the 38 with laser might be the way to go, but still want input on the judge.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Judge has been discussed here quite a bit if you do a search. Either you love 'em or hate 'em and I'm sure the the haters will chime in their 2 cents about the balistics blah blah blah. But I've yet to find a hater that actually owned one.

I owned one and then traded it in on a Ruger. I doubt the kick was any worse shooting .410s than my Dan Wesson is shooting .357s
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The way recoil is perceived really varies from person to person. No one can tell you how your mother would sense the recoil of a Judge.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    I know its relative and everyones different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    The way recoil is perceived really varies from person to person. No one can tell you how your mother would sense the recoil of a Judge.
    ???
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Ya, it kiks like a mule.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

it's alos a matter of what fits her hands best, I had my mom try most of my collection, she liked my USP Compact the best. I agree, mom has great taste LOL.

Like choosing one for yourself, find a range that rents and have her try some out.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

If you are under the impression that the Judge is a substitute for accurate shooting...think again! I say get her that .38 and teach her how to shoot it well.

The Judge does not kick very much the idea is to throw enough lead to discourage any intruder. I bought one a few months ago and I have found the recoil to be negligble.

Get that .38 and as much ammo as you can find. Better yet, get the .38, a .22, and 10 bricks of .22 ammo, assuming you have the funds. Get her to practice the fundamentals of shooting with the .22, and put a few rounds through the .38 for familiarization. This strategy is what I used to become more accurate with my Commander. I can't afford to shoot thousands of rounds of .45 every year, but I can shoot 500 rounds of .22 every week no problem. I don't shoot that much .22, but I could. I'm not going to beat Rob Leatham anytime soon, but I can hit the 10 ring more often than not, and I did it practicing primarily with a .22. Anyone can handle the recoil from a .22, and the .38 is light enough that nearly everyone can handle a short practice session with it. When you really need it, recoil won't be an issue, accuracy and familiarity will. No weapon will make up for a lack of skill.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    But I've yet to find a hater that actually owned one.
    Owning one doesn't make the poor ballistics of the .410 any better.

Get the .38, or a good .357 loaded with .38. There is good .38 standard pressure that does not kick very much, and is an effective stopper, with good penetration and expansion. The Judge is pretty impressive on paper, but determined criminals committing home invasions aren't made of paper.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Yep, a couple of shells of #4 in the face followed up buy a .45 from across the room, you might as well use a BB gun.
    Ruger MK III, Taurus Judge, Ruger P95, Rossi 357 Snubbie, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    If you are under the impression that the Judge is a substitute for accurate shooting...think again! I say get her that .38 and teach her how to shoot it well.
    Good advice. If there is any doubt - read the Box O' Truth test on the Judge.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Not a great starter pistol. The recoil is not pleasant for me. More of a wooosh then a quick impulse like a pistol caliber. Pellet spread is too big for me too. You are looking at 2 feet at 5 yards and 4 feet at 10 yards... Enough that only some of your pellets might impact something you intend them to, but most will impact something that you don't want. I have heard of a few people having cylinder problems that needed to sent them back too.

I have owned a Taurus Judge and shooting 2 1/2 inch .410 shotshells was the equivalent in recoil to shooting a medium frame .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel. I also kept .45 Colt WW Silvertip 225 grain hollowpoints in mine for HD. Two 000 buckshot shells followed by three .45 Silvertips. That combination was sure to ruin any intruder's night.

A lot of people will argue the validity of a .410 revolver used for self defense, but no one with common sense would argue the fact that a .45 Colt revolver is a superb choice for defending the castle! I traded mine and now use a Glock 19 with night sights and a tactical light for home defense. Your mother might be better served with an easy to use 9mm auto and a laser/light combination attached to the pistol. The light for target identification and the laser for accurate shooting at night on a mild recoiling pistol with adequate power.

My Glock 19 can also be used by my wife in my absence from home. Just some food for thought.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links