Help me pick a BUG...

Help me pick a BUG...

This is a discussion on Help me pick a BUG... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have a Colt Defender for my CCW. I would like however to have something in .380 that is thin that will easily slip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me pick a BUG...

Ok, I have a Colt Defender for my CCW. I would like however to have something in .380 that is thin that will easily slip into a jeans pocket without feeling like I have a baseball in my pocket. I am of fairly small stature and do not wear my pants baggy. I would like to stay with .380 for this one because of standardization of calibers. I feel like a J Frame would be nice but, I really want something that isn't quite that bulky width wise. Help... Right now I'm kind of going with the idea of the Ruger LCP. Opinions please...

VIP Member
    I carry a LCP in a pocket holster, in my cargo pants pocket every day. It pretty much disappears.

If your jeans are tight as opposed to my baggy cargo pants, it'll naturally be harder for any gun to disappear. Well, actually a NAA .22 magnum might not be too obvious in tight jeans. Also, IMHO it's tougher to access your CCW from tight-fittin pants.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    LCP, Kel-Tec or even the new Kahr 380 would be a good choice...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I don't wear my jeans really tight, just not "brotha style" Usually Levi 550's on the weekends and always slacks during the week with either golf shirts or dress shirts. I like the summer because the defender disappears under my hawaiian shirts that I've been wearing for years in the summers. I just need something that will slip in a pocket and be comfortable. I had been looking at the P3AT and LCP amongst others but, really wanted some feedback from those of you who have had experience with them...
    Last edited by avgeekjlb; May 6th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: updated info

LCP, as you said, KT P3AT, KAHR P380, Taurus 738 TCP, SIG P238, Micro Desert Eagle, Walther PK380. Those are all good candidates for what you desire. There are others, but these are the most popular and most reliable. Now just decide wich one you like best.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

That new Kahr and LCP seem to be just what you are looking for. You also might want to look into a back pocket "wallet style" holster for something like that and not be to obtrusive in your front pockets.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I also have a colt defender for a EDC and had a kel-tec .380 for a BUG , but after a few months I sold it and bought a S&W j-frame airlight .357 and let me tell you ,it's vastly superior in every way, it justs disappears in my pocket and I dont even know it's there most of the time
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    I also have a colt defender for a EDC and had a kel-tec .380 for a BUG , but after a few months I sold it and bought a S&W j-frame airlight .357 and let me tell you ,it's vastly superior in every way, it justs disappears in my pocket and I dont even know it's there most of the time
    How exactly is it "vastly superior in every way" to the KT when the KT is WAY lighter, WAY smaller, and holds an extra round...? sorry i cant see the logic in that statement.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I can think of one way the J frame is superrior and that's concealability. I have several J frames and two NAA Guardians and there is a huge difference in how it looks in the pocket!! I use a Mika holster for tyhe J frame and a Nemisis for the Guardians, the smaller, thinner Guardians are much thinner. May I aslo add the number of rounds is also greater with a smaller auto!! Not going which is better 5 0f 357 or 7 of 380 as that's another can of worms.

Back on topic, as I have stated I have 2 of the NAA Guardians and I love these mouse guns. They have both been 100% with everything I have fed them and I have fed them a variety of ammo. Right now there are a lot to choose from in the small 380 category, pick the one that's right for you. I love the looks of the new Sig, not sure when it will be in stores though.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Love my Seecamp LWS .32. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Besides the fact that I think that the thinness would be better for me I think that the fact that the .380s like the LCP and P3AT being half the price of the J-Frame will be a big factor for me right now... I did say that this is a back-up. I don't mind reaching for a .380 after I've reached for my .45 acp. I am just thinking that with the slim margin of chance that I would need it as a backup doesn't warrant me having to hunt and hunt for another caliber of ammo right now... We already have a P232 in the house and I am just looking to put a small mouse in my pocket Plus, the bug will bite again and I can get a J-Frame later when my wallet will allow it a bit more.
    That being said, if anyone wants to donate to the cause I would take a S&W 442 Airweight in .38 +P if someone feels gifty

the kel-tec is lighter and smaller true, but the j-frame has a superior caliber ,is way more accurate and being a revolver less prone to a malfunction
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

A KelTec P-3AT will do the job...dependable, reasonable, concealable.

Mine is over 6 years old...always goes bang!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    the kel-tec is lighter and smaller true, but the j-frame has a superior caliber ,is way more accurate and being a revolver less prone to a malfunction
    Well, if using that mentality for your back up then maybe you should read all the negative reports about the Defender's reliability too... I could site you dozens of posts from 1911 and Colt forums about the reliability issues with them. Don't you want your primary to be the most reliable you carry???

Just send me the Defender when you gift me the J-Frame

No really, don't get me wrong I think you made a good choice in your carry options. I would probably do the same if I had the money and ammo was a little easier to find. I've put around 600rds thru my Defender without so much as a hiccup and it eats anything I throw at it...

However, a .22 will do the job if you know how to shoot and where to aim. I know several retired LEO's that carry .380 exclusively during the summer. It was .007's choice And, MI6's issue if I've heard properly.

Plus, and this is the decisive factor, for right now I can't afford $600+ for another gun. Not to mention the hassle of hunting for months for a different caliber of ammo.

First choice: Micro Desert Eagle .380
    Second choice: Ruger LCP .380
    Both of them work with a DeSantis Trickster wallet holster and my Uncle Mike's ankle holster (although this is the least comfortable carry method I know).
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links