Need help concerning value

This is a discussion on Need help concerning value within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the local gun store with my wife to look for a gun for her. She like the H&K P7 .9mm - $870 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help concerning value

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar

I went to the local gun store with my wife to look for a gun for her.

She like the H&K P7 .9mm - $870 and the Smith & Wesson 99 .40- $440 both used the H&K is in execellent condition.

The S&W is a former LEO very good shape some visible wear from a holster.

Do you think these are good deals?

Of course my wife like the more expensive of the two. Who cares she in interested in shooting and CC.

Thanks for your help.

the h/k sounds like the better deal
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

does the P7 come with 2 mags???? if so not a bad price...

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    She'll love the P7. Great trigger, sights and accurate as hell. Also has the least amount of recoil of any 9mm I've ever shot.
    Mine is KA. Finally was able to buy one this year after years of wanting one.

No comparison between the 2 on quality IMO and the P7 will retain it's value.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

That's a really good price on the P7. I suppose your wife operated the cocking mechanism in the store. A woman I often shoot with can't squeeze the handle on mine one-handed--not that she's typical or anything. It's just an issue to bear-in-mind for what otherwise (to me) is a no-brainer. That S&W is an OK tool, but the H&K will win her heart.

I will stop back in and check on the 2nd mag, I believe they have the original box and owners manual.

I cchecked "Gunbroker.com" and the price does seem in the ball park, I had no idea extra mags cost $70 for an H&K.

She really liked the ease of operation and the way you squeeze the handle to engage.

VIP Member

On the S&W 99 .40

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I went to the local gun store with my wife to look for a gun for her.

She like the H&K P7 .9mm - $870 and the Smith & Wesson 99 .40- $440 both used the H&K is in execellent condition.

The S&W is a former LEO very good shape some visible wear from a holster.

Do you think these are good deals?

Of course my wife like the more expensive of the two. Who cares she in interested in shooting and CC.

Thanks for your help.
    I am quite sure I paid less than that, but that was 6 years or so ago. Don't know current retail prices.

Sounds high to me for a used one.

Mine had a major malfunction with about 3K rounds through it. It took S&W almost 8 months to come up with a replacement part.

If you are getting one for carry, I assume you are talking about the 99c --with 3 inch barrel. I find mine has excessive muzzle tilt; but then my wrists and arms are unusually weak. Were I to do it over, I'd got with the 9 mm.

Spend the extra and get her the p7...if she loves it she will shoot it and carry it more.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    h+k is the better deal IMO. Great gun
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a P7M8 and I love it. It was my dream gun when I was growing up and I bought myself one a few years ago. That being said. The design is great, BUT I could never get used to the heel mag release on the P7s. Maybe a silly nitpick, but if the manual of arms is significantly different than any other weapon in the arsenal, you have to train yourself around it.

Personally I'd probably go for the P99, as I've always like the design, basically a sound design and mags would be significantly easier to find and quite a bit cheaper.

The P7 also requires more rigorous cleaning protocol due to the gas piston and fixed barrel. It does also have a very stiff recoil spring due to the fixed barrel design. My wife has difficulty pulling the slide back for this reason and she does not have particularly weak hands. The 13lb spring for the cocking mechanism also makes her time to draw, acquire target and shoot slightly longer than other pistols she has shot.

Please keep in mind that I personally carry my P7M8 about 1/2 of the year so I am fond and familiar w/ it. Just think it is not the right choice for everyone. Seeing as it is pretty expensive, especially for a used pistol, just gotta make sure that it is the right fit.

Good luck.

One more thing.

Does the gun shop have a range attached? See if they would be willing to let her test shoot it if they do have a range. It would be helpful for her to be able to decide if the manual of arms is something she would be comfortable with. If not, then she won't carry or shoot it much.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I will stop back in and check on the 2nd mag, I believe they have the original box and owners manual.

I cchecked "Gunbroker.com" and the price does seem in the ball park, I had no idea extra mags cost $70 for an H&K.

She really liked the ease of operation and the way you squeeze the handle to engage.
    The squeeze cocker has saved the lives of a few folks who did not know they had to squeeze it when taken away from the owner. Same with the thumb safety on a 1911.

GREAT safety features IMO.

If she has any trouble squeezing it buy her a snap cap and let her squeeze and dry fire away to build up them muscles. I do this on a regular basis to help my grip. Really helps in controlling any handgun that recoils more than a .22 and will improve her trigger control.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Thanks guys. Right now the deal breaker for me is that I cannot find additional magazines. There are plenty of P7 M8, but this gun is a P7 PSP, I found that out because I asked about an extra mag, the guy handed me a mag for a P7 M8 which does not fit in the gun.

I am going to keep working this she wants the gun and I get the best looking range buddy a guy could have.

That price for the P7 made me wonder if it wasn’t a PSP. Most of the P7M8's I see are $1200 to $1500.

The PSP was the original and most you see are veterns of the German Police. The P7 was a revised version.

There's nothing wrong with the PSP but there are subtle difference between the two. Most notably as you've notice the magazine and magazine release. On the PSP it's at the heel of the butt, on the P7M8 it's the downward moving paddle type found on most HK's now.

Also on the P7M8 there is a plastic piece inside the trigger guard at the top and forward within the guard. The gas system is right above this area and it gets hot under extended shooting. Really hot. This was corrected in the M8, M13 and M10 by fitting the piece there to protect the trigger finger.

Some people feel the system of operation is too unique and if a novice is introduced to the P7 then that’s all they should shoot. The transition between it and a conventional auto being too great.

Another small thing that I thought was Bullsh*t until it happened to me; the takedown lever at the rear of the slide can actually be inadvertently depressed accidentally and the slide will come right off. I first read of this when Mas Ayoob wrote about it and having the button ground down to flush with the slide to prevent it from happening. I though Bullsh*t and then a bout 6 month later it happened to me. So......something to think about. I have not had mine modified but I pay close attention to it when manipulating the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Gun View Post
    That price for the P7 made me wonder if it wasnít a PSP. Most of the P7M8's I see are $1200 to $1500.

The PSP was the original and most you see are veterns of the German Police. The P7 was a revised version.

There's nothing wrong with the PSP but there are subtle difference between the two. Most notably as you've notice the magazine and magazine release. On the PSP it's at the heel of the butt, on the P7M8 it's the downward moving paddle type found on most HK's now.

Also on the P7M8 there is a plastic piece inside the trigger guard at the top and forward within the guard. The gas system is right above this area and it gets hot under extended shooting. Really hot. This was corrected in the M8, M13 and M10 by fitting the piece there to protect the trigger finger.

Some people feel the system of operation is too unique and if a novice is introduced to the P7 then thatís all they should shoot. The transition between it and a conventional auto being too great.

Another small thing that I thought was Bullsh*t until it happened to me; the takedown lever at the rear of the slide can actually be inadvertently depressed accidentally and the slide will come right off. I first read of this when Mas Ayoob wrote about it and having the button ground down to flush with the slide to prevent it from happening. I though Bullsh*t and then a bout 6 month later it happened to me. So......something to think about. I have not had mine modified but I pay close attention to it when manipulating the slide.
    Excellent post! More info there then I've seen in a single place before. I had an opportunity to shoot a PSP at the range one day, I politely declined. I know they're quality guns but being that I'm a 1911 guy, I wasn't comfortable with the manual of arms and didn't want to take any chances. I'm pretty much the same way with Sigs, the slide lock and decocker are in reversed location from the 1911 (and every other gun I've ever fired) and it trips me up every time I try one. Same too because I really the 229 and 239.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links