Defensive Carry banner

Calling all M&P owners...

8K views 85 replies 69 participants last post by  GentlemanJim 
#1 ·
I have a bonus coming from work and have decided to put part of it to an M&P. The rest is going into savings. I am considering an M&P 9 or an M&P 40. I know it's a newer design, but want to give it a chance. Feel free to offer advice.

#2 ·
My M&P9c has been my first, and so far, only pistol. I love it and carry it everywhere I legally can. It's a pleasure to shoot and I only had one very minor FTE within the first 10 rounds. Since then I've put around 700 rounds down range without any issues.

#3 ·
If you love accuracy and reliability, invest in an M&P. I don't shoot anything smaller than .357 sig, to which, for the price of a gun barrel, an M&P .40 is capable of converting without regard to higher pressures of the .357. I recommend the compact model.

#4 ·
I have the M&P9c and its my EDC. I love the fit in my hand and hasn't failed me yet, no failures in 600 rounds so far. It fit my hand better than anything else on the market, i have small but thick hands and the small back strap on it fits so nice in my hand. That adjustability is a very nice feature, easy to fit. Take down on it is easy as well no additional tools required to field strip it. Now its offered with a safety, so there should be a version to appeal to everyone. Oh yea, and its fun to shoot :) Good luck.

#5 ·
I have had the M&P9 for about six months and have put around 2000 rounds thru it. I also recently purchased the M&P45. They both feel great ergonomically and are a pleasure to shoot. It is easy to clean and my groups keep getting tighter the more I shoot it. I have never had any FTF or FTE problems with it using a variety of different loads. It conceals well with a IWB holster and a shirt hanging out. I prefer the feel of it to a Glock 17 I recently had a chance to shoot. The tritium night sights cost a bit more but now I am glad I have them especially on a dark indoor range. Good luck with your choice.

#11 ·
Where in the world are you coming from with this?:frown:

In what world do you live in that you have heard that the M&P line is not a quality line???

My high dollar 1911 is sitting at the factory for the second time to "fix" the FTE issues...yet my M&P .45c sits on my belt as it has for a long time with! With 0 issues whatsoever with any one of the 5 M&Ps that I have owned, I would say that they are a high quality weapon and first rate for the price.

Don't get me wrong here, the M&P is not the end all of hand guns and I am not saying that they are the absolute best (WAY to objective of a subject there). I am however saying that some people need to get off their high horse and deal in reality....there are a lot of good guns out there and they are not all made by your "favorite" manufacturer!

Sorry, I just get sick of the negative comments with NO constructive ingrediants whatsoever!:aargh4:

To the OP...well I will start over...

#9 ·
Just picked up my M&P 40 from my FFL this morning, and I am looking at it as we 'speak'. It has a wonderful feel in my hand; I bought it with Crimson Trace grips installed. I absolutely CAN'T wait until Friday afternoon to hit the range and fire off a bunch of rounds! I have stripped it down and reassembled in a matter of seconds. The ambidextrous slide release is very well placed, and the interchangable grips work like a charm. This will be fun to shoot!:biggrin2:

#10 ·
M&P 40c and 9mm Pro --- both are awesome firearms ... no problems whatsoever. The 40c is my carry gun, and the 9mm is for match shooting. I have a 9mm drop-in barrel for the 40c, and it works flawlessly -- two weapons for a lot less than the cost of two weapons. I highly recommend the M&P line.

-Seawolf

#64 ·
...I have a 9mm drop-in barrel for the 40c, and it works flawlessly...
I would love to get one of those. Who makes it?

Here's my relatively new carry:

M&P40c, Trijicons, no mag disco., no lock, no safety:

OH, and those are Federal HST 180gr. I haven't been able to find 165gr for an even remotely decent price yet.

#12 ·
...Sorry about that folks...I do feel better though. I can only take so much.

I think that either the 9 or .40 are fine choices. I PERSONALLY prefer the 9 as I feel the recoil is better and the ballistics are not as deep as a .40.

9mm would be my choice out of the two. Cheapest to shoot at the range and get some good +P for carry and you have a great combo...then again it is not me is it! (that being said, it is not me and I carry a .45 but there are time that I rely on my 38 special for duty when the utmost of discression is needed).

#17 ·
I have the .40 FS and absolutely love it. :biggrin2:600rds and never an issue. Will eat any .40 Ammo. Perceived recoil isn't that bad. Three adjustable back straps for comfort . The Free mag offer is a plus too. Are you planning on using this as an CCW? If so, stick with the Compact series.

#19 ·
Here's your thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...t-report-wide-spread-problems-s-w-m-ps-5.html
The M&Ps are being pulled off the approved list, probably until the extraction problems are solved, then they will return. Glock has had it's share of woes and been pulled and/or replaced many times. That is the nature of the beast, one bad batch of extractors/barrels, etc. can generate a lot of heat. AND, LE agencies and officers have some politics controlling what is said/done with gun situations, I have seen it too many times, first hand. As I've posted before, 2000 rounds on mine and ONE failure to extract due to a case that was so badly formed that I had to punch it out with a cleaning rod and hammer. The M&P/LASD is a glitch in view of all the positive reports I've reviewed. Somebody set a CAD machine up wrong at the factory or something-I'm sure S&W will figure it out and fix it, they have too much going with these guns to let this twist in the wind long. Glock's massive problems with the 19s with the NYPD didn't end their career, and they had a lot more than a few. The difference is politics and money.

#21 ·
I have the M&P 40c and 45c

I have well over 3000 rounds through the 40 with only shooter or reload induce issues. I moved my mag release button to the right side and stiffened the spring to stop myself from hitting the release while firing. This issue has been remedied by S&W. I did not stiffen the spring (it didn't need it) on the 45 but did move the button so both are operationally identical.

I only have 1000 rounds through the 45 but it has performed well. The POI was off from MY POA but was easily adjusted.

Here is a link to the first posting of a torture test performed by Todd Green, who I believe recently joined this forum.

#23 ·
We carry the M&P 40sw as our duty weapon going on two years now. Out of all the shooters on our department not one issue with the pistol. Excellent pistol. A bunch of the guys also went out on their own and bought the compact version which is comparible to a "subglock" in size except you have the three alternate backstraps for prefered grip-small-med-large. I shot the compact and it shoots just as well as the full size. You can't go wrong with this pistol. And if you have issue's you have a lifetime warranty from a company with excellent customer service. Thats why many departments are going to them even over the almighty Glock Block.

#25 ·
Both are fine duty grade firearms.
But the M&P40 in specific...OMG what an accurate firearm considering it is box stock.

Just know that as new you will want to dry fire the trigger for approximately 100 cycles to wear in the trigger assembly. A very common compliant is that as stock the trigger is creepy and gritty by feel. This wholly goes away after being broken in with dry fire. We're talking on the order of two one hour long sessions. Just do it while watching The Unit or some such mindless show.

- Janq

#72 ·
Both are fine duty grade firearms.
But the M&P40 in specific...OMG what an accurate firearm considering it is box stock.

Yes, Indeed....I agree 100%. I was taken aback by the accuracy...I could not believe that a stock "duty" weapon would be so accurate. As far as reliabilty, so far my M&P 40 is problem free.

#26 ·
I have a M&P 9 and have had it for more then year with more then 1000 rounds through it. Have not had a failure yet. It is my primary home defense weapon and have carried it as a CCW occasionally during the winter months. Its just a little too big and heavy for me as CCW. For CC I have preferred my S&W 442.

#28 ·
BTW for those who like me are are 1911 transitioners the folk at S&W this coming summer will be releasing new variants across the M&P line that will include the frame safety same as the M&P45 has toward the 9MM, 357, and 40 in all formats.
I don't know though if it will be a retroactive upgrade feature.

Since 2006 I've been loving the M&P40 and shoot one often over at S&W.
Only reason I haven't bought one yet is because I don't have a need right now for a fourth EDC...along with investing in a whole new supply of holsters, magazine holders, and magazines that are not 1911 compliant. :|

- Janq

#29 ·
I have a bunch of Smith & Wesson M&Ps...whoops, all revolvers though.

Seriously, I did have an opportunity to shoot a current M&P 9mm over a Sunday afternoon recently. While I'm not too keen on the trigger of the genre it did shoot tight groups and I liked shooting it better than I do a similar sized Glock.

#33 ·
The issue that I read about, if I am recalling correctly, was the magazine releasing from the pistol on its own. Was this only an issue when the pistol was first introduced? Was this issue corrected? I have been following these threads closely since I am trying to decide between the M&P 40c and the Glock 23.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.