Wolff springs question, semi range report

This is a discussion on Wolff springs question, semi range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my 226 to the range and gave it an endurance test... 480 rounds fired as fast as I could load the magazines and put ...

Thread: Wolff springs question, semi range report

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Wolff springs question, semi range report

Took my 226 to the range and gave it an endurance test... 480 rounds fired as fast as I could load the magazines and put the rounds on target. I have 5 magazines, so it was 75 rounds, reload, then 75 more. I used a combination of WWB 115gr FMJ and Rem UMC 115gr JHP. The gun was quite warm by the end

Observations:

1. The 226 is a tack driver. I've won brigade-level shooting matches with the M9 and I look forward to getting in the groove with this weapon. Much better for me than the M9. Using standard NRA 25m slow-fire pistol targets at 25m, I was able to tear a single great big hole in the black... and I wasn't particularly shooting for accuracy. I changed targets every reload, so I was putting 75 rounds on each target.

2. I fired the first few rounds DA, then about 450 more SA, then finished up DA. The stock 24# DA trigger pull is no problem when you're fresh... but it felt like TEN TONS at the end. I still kept it on the paper, but MAN...

Questions:

1. Is it worth trading out the springs for a lighter DA pull? I hope to use this gun for IDPA or IPSC in the future as well as for carry.

2. If I were to change out the springs with some from Wolff, how light should I go on a carry gun? Wolff goes down to 16# for the 226

3. How much will this change effect the SA trigger pull?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    1. Is it worth trading out the springs for a lighter DA pull? I hope to use this gun for IDPA or IPSC in the future as well as for carry.

2. If I were to change out the springs with some from Wolff, how light should I go on a carry gun? Wolff goes down to 16# for the 226

3. How much will this change effect the SA trigger pull?
    Unless you have problems controlling, because of the pull weight(trigger spring), stick with the factory weight, or do not go under the next-lowest-from-factory offering. Lowering your trigger spring weight increases the amount of conscious effort to release the trigger for full reset. The SA pull will be different in the take-up, more 1911-ish.

While I might lower the trigger spring #age, I would not reduce the hammer spring. I like nice, stout, strikes.

I know other people that are content with the lower weights, just not my personal pref. FWIW.....

Thumbs up

Glad you like yours. Yep they are great shooters. That's why I got 2 of them.

As for springs I can't recommend changing them out as I'm pleased with them as they are and have never switched them out.

Assistant Administrator
    Robb - I too would not really favor major spring mod's - reliability is name of game for me and while I agree over time that DA gets heavier, for most purposes we are shooting relatively fresh. So IDPA etc would not be a prob IMO, same with defensive use.

I love the 226 and reckon once anyone has become practiced it is all straightforward with std set-up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links