Need Help with pistol purchase

This is a discussion on Need Help with pistol purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Taurus 1911 for just an all around gun, but I bought it on a welm and didn't do much research on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with pistol purchase

I recently bought a Taurus 1911 for just an all around gun, but I bought it on a welm and didn't do much research on them. Now I am worried that it is going to malfunction and I will be without it. My question is what is a decent 1911 to try to get and does anyone have/know where I can get one for a good price. I don't mind getting a used one as long as there is a warranty with it.

I do have my carry gun which is a SP 101 .357 mag., but I was going to use this as mainly a HD/Truck gun.

Why are you worried the Taurus will fail?

I'll give ya $20 for it :^)
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Taurus doesn't have the best name in the industry when it comes to autoloaders, but I have heard only positive things about their 1911.

After all it's a 100 year old design that certainly has had the bugs worked out.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't believe alot of reports on the internet. I have also only heard good things about the Taurus 1911's.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I've also never heard any bad things about Taurus's 1911, in fact it is one of the two Taurus pistols I'd like to own (other one being the PT92). I love full size handguns!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

What is the problem with the taurus? You said you think its goi ng to malfunction? I dont get it . Have you already had problems with it or not?
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I know they stand behind their product I just don't want to have to send it in, because their customer service is junk. I used to have one of their revolvers that I sent back and it took 2 months and 3 weeks to get back.

Now I know I am going to get blasted for saying this but a cheap 1911 is "USUALLY" a very reliable gun. To repeat what was said above, the 1911 design has been tested over and over again. Its the expensive 1911's that have super tight tolerances to become as accurate as possible that have the most malfunctions.

That is just my own opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

My recommendation to you would be to go to a range that had a diverse supply of rental guns and shoot a bunch of different types and calibers.

To me a $500 gun you can shoot well is better than a $1200 gun you can't.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What I just read was.. "Help me, I'm wanting to get another gun and need a reason to get it. So I feel my Taurus isn't good enough for a Daily Carry gun (so that's my reason) what should I get?"

Ya never need a reason to buy another gun,. I was given a magazine a few months back, so I just had to get a gun for it to fit ya know,.. That was enough reason for me..

Just keep the Taurus, IMO.

If you are bound and determined to get another 1911...I rarely hear complaints about Springfield Armory. JMO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    If you are bound and determined to get another 1911...I rarely hear complaints about Springfield Armory. JMO
    I really like the 1911 design and they all seem to fit my hand very well.

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    What I just read was.. "Help me, I'm wanting to get another gun and need a reason to get it. So I feel my Taurus isn't good enough for a Daily Carry gun (so that's my reason) what should I get?"

Ya never need a reason to buy another gun,. I was given a magazine a few months back, so I just had to get a gun for it to fit ya know,.. That was enough reason for me..
    I'm not looking for an excuse. I'm just wanting to know what I should do. 1. Trade the Taurus in for a better 1911 or 2. keep the Taurus and forget about all the negative talk they receive

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I'm not looking for an excuse. I'm just wanting to know what I should do. 1. Trade the Taurus in for a better 1911 or 2. keep the Taurus and forget about all the negative talk they receive
    I would keep it and see if it is reliable for you, I suspect it will be. You can always trade up later if you see fit. I don't see firearms depreciating in value any time soon.

Any handgun can fail regardless of the brand name stamped on the slide. I own a Hi-Point C9, I am convinced there is no gun with a poorer reputation among internet forums, but it has been reliable for me through about 1000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I'm not looking for an excuse. I'm just wanting to know what I should do.
    Standby. You will be contacted in short order by the DC test Club for directions on where to send it for proper examination and testing. It will be returned to you withing 120 days with a recommendation...
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links