Sig or Kimber

This is a discussion on Sig or Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some opinions please. I will purchase a new weapon soon but I am have trouble decide on the Sig P220 or the Kimber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig or Kimber

Sig or Kimber

I need some opinions please. I will purchase a new weapon soon but I am have trouble decide on the Sig P220 or the Kimber Tactical Ultra 2 45 ACP. Which is considered the best weapon right out of the box?
    You don't shoot to kill;you shoot to stay alive.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Right out of the box, Sig. Atleast in my opinion. The Kimber though will have more options to improve it. Still the Sig starts off pretty good.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I own both in quantity and it is Sig hands down. I am ready to part with a Pro-Carry (with 3 Wilson Combat Mags) to help fund a P220 Carry. I also have an Eclipse ULE II and I have never carried because I think it is "too pretty" I would probably part with to help fund another Zig Zauer.

Be Safe,

NosaM

I'd put it this way - they are both great weapons.

Personally, I'm a 1911 fan, so I own two Kimbers - one in classic (CDP II) and one in Ultra (Carry II). My closest friend though carries a SIG as a law enforcement officer and swears by it.

I'd say - pick the one that is best for you.
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Apples and oranges

Quote Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
    I will purchase a new weapon soon but I am have trouble decide on the Sig P220 or the Kimber Tactical Ultra 2 45 ACP. Which is considered the best weapon right out of the box?
    You have mentioned two .45s that are not really comparable because of a large difference in size. A Kimber Ultra has a 3 inch barrel and weighs about 24 ounces. Its main use is for concealed carry, and it isn't a lot of fun to shoot 100 rounds through at the range because of its recoil. But it conceals very well.

A Sig P220 has a barrel length of about 4-1/2 inches and weighs about 32 ounces. It is a full size gun that is often used for open carry and range shooting. But it is more of a challenge to conceal because of its size.

When you ask which is best, I would ask "what is your main application for the gun?" Either gun will probably work effectively out of the box, although the Sig is known for reliability while the Kimber Ultra is sometimes touchy or tempermental.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Sig's all the way.....

Sig Misquito 22

Sig P239 40 with CT Laser grips

Sig P220 45

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I have both. They are both the best in there class. If you like the 1911 it does not get better than Kimber. If your looking for a stream line auto Sig feels and operates the best. I personally love my Kimber. 4in 1911 and a bug on my ankle works for me.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

The cops I know carry Sig's and love them.
    I'm a Kimber fan and have been for several years.
    Either could be a great choice for you, so YOU need to handle them...hold them...and soon, one of them will begin calling out your name.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll echo comments that you need to try both out and see how they feel and how comfortable you are with each. Having said that, all my daily carry weapons are Sigs now. If you are looking for a P220, there are several different variants out there, from the full size P220 to a more "compact" P220 Compact. Give them a try. I enjoy carrying my 220s, it's just they have been kinda sidelined by my P228.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Good to go, right out of the box? Odds favor the SIG, by far. All four of the SIGs I have bought new-in-box have been good to go. All three of my Kimbers, bought new, were problematic, as none worked with their factory magazines, and all three had faulty parts that needed to be replaced.

<---SIG
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

SIG

Quote Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
    I need some opinions please. I will purchase a new weapon soon but I am have trouble decide on the Sig P220 or the Kimber Tactical Ultra 2 45 ACP. Which is considered the best weapon right out of the box?
    Two totally different weapons. If you like single shot, and something smaller go with the ultra. If you want a excellent all around gun go with the P220. I have both and I enjoy both equally and perform about the same ten yards and less.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Both of course

I have both I have the 220 full size and a Kimber Pro Crimson.
    Unfortunately, I could not recommend one over the other unless you intend to carry. Then I would recommend the 220 carry model. The full size is a little to big for me to carry and soon I will be getting a 220 carry model.

But before that I'm getting a Kimber Raptor Pro. And this is a gun I will carry. So I really love them both. It just depends on my mood.

Sig has some great safety features for carry in my opinion. I love the fact that I have a double action choice on that first shot. I just think that's a good option in a self defense situation. And I like the de-cocking lever. Its a great safety feature.

I'm sure none of this helps. They are both great guns making it a tough choice.
    Life is Hard its even harder when you're stupid.
    Sig 239 .40- Most carried
    Sig 229 SCT w/ Rail .40- Great firearm
    Sig 220 & Kimber Crimson Pro
    TT Gunleather Holsters

Poor little Kimber...

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    If you like single shot, and something smaller go with the ultra.
    Boy, I knew the Kimber Ultra sometimes had a feeding problem, but calling it a single shot is cruel!
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links