NAA PUG .22 Magnum For Everyday Carry?

This is a discussion on NAA PUG .22 Magnum For Everyday Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have no problem at all using that for a carry weapon. The .22 mag is a viscious weapon, and I for one....would not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: NAA PUG .22 Magnum For Everyday Carry?

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I would have no problem at all using that for a carry weapon. The .22 mag is a viscious weapon, and I for one....would not want to receive a slug from one. Better calibers?.....for sure.....but don't think for a minute that the .22mag is not EFFECTIVE.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Yes the .22mag is effective for its size, but why not carry something bigger? With todays technology you can get a 9mm thats not much bigger then the pug.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

What are your split times with that thing?
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Something is better than nothing. It's not something that I would trust my life to.

I have both a NAA .22 magnum and a Ruger LCP, and IMHO, I can't see where you are saving that much weight and size by choosing your mini revolver over your LCP. I can though see your Sig P239 being appreciably larger than the other two handguns and being left at home. I chose the 7 rounds of .380 jhps of my LCP over the 5 rounds of .22 magnum hps from my mini revolver to always be with me. Not that the .380 is a powerhouse cartridge mind you, but to me a bigger and heavier bullet and more of them from a package not much bigger than the mini revolver is a better option anytime.

I know you plan on carrying a pair of Pugs for 10 shots, but you can also carry a pair of LCPs for 14 shots too. JMHO.
    Actually I would carry both your Pug and your LCP instead of a pair of Pugs. I do that myself on occasion.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its a neat addition and an interesting novelty, but I dont think one would ever be my primary carry. With that said, I wouldnt mind having one for certain occasions.
    Ditto. While I do like and still am considering the Pug, .22LR/.22 Mag, particularly in SA, is not a "fighting handgun."

I AINT carrying no .22mag mousegun a primary. MAYBE as a bug. Carry your .380 or a 9mm. Buts thats just me.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

i have a mini master that I enjoy shooting--as well as a Berrsa thunder. To me--the element of surprise would work in your favor. Shoot someone in the eye or groin with one, could end their day.

practice with that thing I have one and they are hard to master and I always carry a snubnose revolver.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

Like others have said, something's better than nothing, but I've seen squirrels, possums, and raccoons run off into the woods with one or more .22 rounds in their guts, and they're a lot smaller than people. In the heat of the moment, I think it'll be hard to get a well-placed shot with that, and even if you get them right in the numbers, it's going to take a long time for the BG to realize he's dead.

I've never shot one, but knowing that quick-drawing a full-sized SA revolver and getting a COM hit takes some practice, I'd say doing so with something that size would be a lot harder.

I have an NAA black widow and it front pocket carry’s just fine and it will be as equal to a .25 and a .32 in ft. lbs. of energy

if YOU are comfortable carrying two, and you can get to them reasonably quickly, and can shoot then fairly accurately, i say go for it.

personally, i'd prefer something in a larger caliber, but you are the only one whose opinion matters here.

any honest citizen who carries ANY gun is OK in my book.

"they aren't going to ask to see your 'expert' qualification. all they need to know is that you have a gun and you're just aching to use it. no one wants a slug in the guts, even if it got there by accident."

"first rule of gunfighting: have a gun."

"the small gun you have with you beats the big gun sitting in your safe."
    Last edited by sensei2; June 20th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

VIP Member
    These are fun little guns, and I like the 22 Magnum. But, I think they are awkward to use
    and therefore not suitable for EDC. My opinion only. If you want to carry a 22 Magnum revolver,
    there are better choices.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

To quote from Michael Martin's new book, when you're facing an SD situation away from home, a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 on your nightstand.

I have one, used on certain occasions.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links