Springfield XD40 SC

This is a discussion on Springfield XD40 SC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use this as their carry? I was looking at one over the weekend. Nice/small. I like my G23 and Bersa 380 but my wife ...

Thread: Springfield XD40 SC

Springfield XD40 SC

Anyone use this as their carry? I was looking at one over the weekend. Nice/small. I like my G23 and Bersa 380 but my wife will be carrying soon, she will get the 380. Sometimes I find it hard to keep the end of the G23 from sticking out where it does not belong to be seen. The XD is about 1.5" shorter on the barrel length, which is about the same it protrudes from my side. I am using the Ross's leather M5 holster. I think it is. May be the 8... Don't remember now which one. Anyhow, anyone here with experiences with this firearm? Pro's Con's......

2. Remove Ads

I have honestly thought about getting one just to try it. I've had the service sized model for some time and despite the fact I am violating the Rule of Three by keeping it, I have kept it on as my only .40 because I can't bear to part with it because I know it works.

The main thing keeping me away from it is I don't like two finger grips in the first place, and I feel like if I am sacrificing a good solid grip I should have a smaller gun than the XDSC. I have considered I could carry it with the extended magazine with the sleeve, but by the time I put that on I just might as well carry the XD40 Service.

I may yet get one just because my XD mags will work with it, and it would be nice for church and while wearing shorts. I'd have to come across one at the right price when I was in "the mood" though.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed per se, but I'm glad now I went with the 4" service model.

Ive carried the 9mm version of the same gun ..

Other than surface rust issues mine is one of the first ive had no problems with it

That would be my problem with the 40 service. Then I would be best off with my G23. It's a tad bit longer on the barrel. My summer carry would not let me do this comfortably. I did think about another Bersa 380 and just give the wife my other. I use the Horandy 90gr with it. It fits me no different than my Cell phone.

As much as I love the XD platform, they have yet to launch a SC platform that excites me a whole lot.

If they do a .45 SC, THAT may be interesting. I ironically often wish the SC were just a little bit bigger or a little bit smaller.

I prefer the GLOCK mostly because the Tenifur finish is much better than the XD finish. More wear resistant and you have a rust proof gun. Other than that and the fact that I can shoot GLOCKs more accurately I thing the XDs are very good guns. Very simple, reliable, and rugged.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I prefer the GLOCK mostly because the Tenifur finish is much better than the XD finish
    And now that the XD45 has that, your days are numbered, Gaston!

Owner

I have a .40 XDSC and I love it. I understand the grip issue. I put a pearce grip on the standard 10rnd mag and it also comes in an extended 12rnd mag. I shoot tighter groups with the smaller (pearce grip) magazine but my girlfriend (who has smaller hands) likes the extended mag as she has better control. I dont have concealment issues. I'm planning on using a smart carry for this summer, but use an IWB left hand hand cross draw holster everyday. I don't know if that helps Billie, but feel free to ask me all about it.
    "Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"
    -- Winston Churchill

The Xd isn't using the Tennifer finish

there using a sort of parkarising i looked at a xd 45 other day and the finish is same as glock

Well of course not but the Melonite is basically the same thing... and to be factual it's only on the .45 ACP.

Bud aren't GLOCKs powder coated on the slide. Whatever it is it certainly isn't parkerizing. I know slide/barrel are coated with Tenifur but thats clear. What's the black coating?

Quote Originally Posted by cougartxn
    I have a .40 XDSC and I love it. I understand the grip issue. I put a pearce grip on the standard 10rnd mag and it also comes in an extended 12rnd mag. I shoot tighter groups with the smaller (pearce grip) magazine but my girlfriend (who has smaller hands) likes the extended mag as she has better control. I dont have concealment issues. I'm planning on using a smart carry for this summer, but use an IWB left hand hand cross draw holster everyday. I don't know if that helps Billie, but feel free to ask me all about it.
    Couger,
    Thanks for the input. I am pretty much sold on the XDSC, I like the extended grip as I think it would allow me better control. My wife likes the shorter grip, smaller hands. Have you had any issues with any Ammo? Both FMJ, JHP. I saw yesterday that Hoss's leather makes a belt holster for it. I tend to like them as they have fitted me well with the other two..

I carry a XD .40 SC in a HighNoon bare assets IWB holster. I also use the pierce extention on the mag. Its a great gun very accurate. Its a little top heavy but I feel it helps tame the recoil. My carry load is speer gold dots 180gn.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

I carry one everyday and love it. I used to carry a full sized 1911 but now I cant see how I did it.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

Links