Kahr P9 update

Kahr P9 update

This is a discussion on Kahr P9 update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Kahr and I went to the range again today. It's growing on me, but still frustrating. First I cleaned it completely and re-lubed with ...

Thread: Kahr P9 update

Kahr P9 update

The Kahr and I went to the range again today. It's growing on me, but still frustrating. First I cleaned it completely and re-lubed with Hoppe's oil rather than Tetra Gun grease. I then finished off the Winchester White Box I bought, 132 rounds. In the course of firing those rounds I had another 10 or so failures to close completely, mostly while firing. It closes with a tap or even a light push, but still won't close under it's own power. I also had problems while inserting loaded magazines. The top round's nose kept getting caught under the feed ramp. This happened at least three times with the WWB, then again when I tried JHPs.

On the plus side, accuracy is still great. I ended up adjusting my grip and found it really helped to control recoil better. Previously, I was shooting right-handed with my right thumb bent and covered with my left hand's thumb. The problem is that the trigger pull is so short and my fingers so long, my trigger finger would hit the tip of my right thumb. Unfortunately, this hold kept me from gripping the top of the frame very securely, since my thumb was bent. I adjusted to shooting with my right thumb straight, but held down out of the way of my trigger finger by the thumb of my left hand. This was way more comfortable and allowed me to keep the muzzle down much more effectively.

I also fired five different defense loads; 124 gr. Remington Golden Sabers, 124 gr. Hornady TAPs, 147 gr. Winchester SXTs, 124 gr. DoubleTap +Ps, and 147 gr. Double Tap +Ps. The only malfunction I had (besides failure to fully close) was a failure to feed with the 124 gr. Double Taps. Not sure of the cause. The Remington's had very low recoil and were reasonably accurate, the Hornadys kicked a little harder and seemed a bit more accurate, the Winchesters kicked about the same as the Hornadys and shot lower, the 124 gr. Double Taps kicked like a mule but were plenty accurate, the 147 gr. Double Taps kicked slightly less than the 124 grs, but still made my hand sting. They also shot lower (closer to the bullseye). Recoil with the Double Taps was noticeably higher than standard loads, but still easily controllable. The 147 gr. load looks tempting since it's heavy and still moving pretty fast. It also hit closest to point of aim.

This pistol's continued failure to close completely with all types of ammo is very frustrating. I've currently fired 319 rounds, which should be enough to fully break it in. I still had three failures within the last 50 rounds. This isn't crap ammo either, I was shooting commercially loaded Winchester and Magtech FMJs. It malfunctions while firing and while loading the first round. I cleaned the feed ramp and chamber twice while firing as well, so it's not just jammed up with carbon. I plan to call Kahr today to see what they have to say, I'll post their response once I have it. In the meantime, as much as I like the accuracy, size and lack of weight of this pistol, it has proven to be too unreliable for carry. Sad.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Don't know what to tell you, My P9 works flawlessly. Call the factory rep and see what they have to say is my only suggestion.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I agree with the Above about the only thing is to call the factory see if they have tips or want it back

I'm sure a call to Kahr may get you some answers. I know with my MK9 I have a 50% failure to battery if I slingshot the slide as opposed to dropping it with the slide release. Reloading and dropping the slide via release gets me battery every time. If I slingshot the slide from battery to try to load a round, the slide will only get about 75% of the way there and then I have to "nudge" it a bit with my palm to seat it. Polishing the feed ramp with my Dremel has made it better but it still has a hard time using the slingshot method. I'll be doing some more caressing of the feed ramp in the future to address the problem, but my normal technique is loading from the slide release so it's not a huge issue for me right now.

Hope you get it taken care of. I'm sure Kahr will be more than willing to help you out. Their CS is suppose to be pretty good from what I hear.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Man I am really sorry to hear of your frustrations. I would recommend contacting the service department and see what they have to say. With my CW9..which is defenatly a cheaper version I have had nothing but 100%. I have yet to have a f2f or any jams of any sorts...I have put 100 rnds of cheaper blazer ammo, 150 rounds of independance, assorted other cheap brands...including white box from walmart....Then the better stuff like GoldDot and Hydrashocks I would have to estimate around 500 rounds so far. How old is your pistol...I have been told that some of the older mags had some issues and when replaced they have fixed the problem..

If you contact the service department and are able to resolve the issue please post your experience with them and what needed to be done to fix these issues. I would be interested in hearing what is the culpret.

Every kahr I have been around and has been a very dependable pistol and I hate to hear that you are having such a frustrating time with yours...

Best of luck

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Frustrating as all get out As everyone's said, it's time for the call and probably the trip home. As much as we want it to work perfectly from the get go, mass production of anything will ship units that aren't up to spec even with the most sophisticated quality control processes. Anyone in the manufacturing realm understands this reality. If you're the one who gets the one,...we'll it seems like the gun/company are all bad. I think the worse thing is what it does to your confidence in the weapon but that can be won back. Good luck and try not to get too frustrated with the disappointment. In the end I know you'll end up with a fantastic carry piece!

God Bless

Gideon

I've contacted customer service, got a message and still haven't heard back. This is a brand new pistol hot off of the assembly line, I had to wait four months for them to complete their backorders. I'll try e-mail and see if that works.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens

Well I just got off of the phone with Kahr tech support. The believe the feed ramp may just need a light polish to correct the failure to return to battery problems, and they gave me the go ahead to try it on my own. The problems with the top round getting stuck are probably due to tight magazine springs, they recommended I just leave them loaded for a week to relieve some of the tension. I'll give both fixes a try then go to the range again.
    - Kurt

Just 2 weeks ago I was trouble shooting my fathers Llama mini max and found that the feed ramp was way too rough. It is causing some of the same issues that you seem to be having. I have not polished the ramp on the Llama as of yet but I am pretty sure it is the culpret. Hopefully this will resolve your issues and you get get in some happy shooting.

Good luck to you!

I purchased my P9 new in October 05'. I had a couple of similar failures during the 200 round break in. Haven't had any failures since - over 1000 rounds total. Mostly WWB, but also several hundred Remington GS's.

I had the same issue with my trigger finger contacting my thumb. I usually wear medium (7.5 or so) gloves, so my hands aren't particularly large. I compensated by using a little less trigger finger instead of moving my thumb.

Hope a light polish does the trick. I wonder if my P9's initial failures were due to the mag springs - I've stored them full since day 1, so they were probably broken in quickly. Good luck and hope this turns out well for you. Keep us posted.

Links