.357 SIG That Doesn't Kick Like A Mule

This is a discussion on .357 SIG That Doesn't Kick Like A Mule within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know anything worth listening to about buying a .357 SIG? I have been wanting one since I started shooting. I was looking at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 SIG That Doesn't Kick Like A Mule

.357 SIG That Doesn't Kick Like A Mule

Does anyone know anything worth listening to about buying a .357 SIG? I have been wanting one since I started shooting. I was looking at a Glock some years ago and was told by a Glock rep that it would be too much for me. Probably because I was a newbee at the time. I shoot a .45 ACP now, so I am not afraid of some power. Is it worth my time, or just buy another .45? I really need advice. Preferably from people that have shot .357 SIGs and .45 ACPs please.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I have shot several .357sig chambered guns and I don't find them to kick that badly. Maybe a little more than my G23 in .40 cal but not unmanageable at all.

I guess it all depends on what you can handle. And that would depend on your upper body strength and the proper shooting stance.

My advice is to go find some that you can rent or find someone who owns one and shoot them. See what you think. That's the real way you will find out if you like it or not, not asking a bunch of people on the internet.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It does make me wonder all the same. Would a regular .357 have +/- recoil than a .357sig? I never gave this much thought until it was asked in this thread.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I would like to have a .357sig, but have not bought one because in my area you will never find any .357ammo.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I would like to have a .357sig, but have not bought one because in my area you will never find any .357ammo.
    We've got lots of 357 Sig ammo at my local Walmart here in sunny FL. Of course it sells for $23.97 for 50 rounds! It seems it's not a big seller.

The .357 Sig does kick less than a .45 or a 40 when fired from comparable guns, Glock 32 vs 23
    I've got all of them, but rather than just give my opinion here are typical recoil impulse comarisons from Stopping Power.
    9mm 115 gr. = .59
    9mm 124 gr. = .62
    357 Sig. 125 gr. = .76
    40 S&W 180 gr. = .78
    45 acp 185 gr. = .82
    40 S&W 165 gr. = .84 (like Golden Saber or Winchester SXT)
    45 acp 230 gr. = .87

Chrono results from my pistols:
    Glock 27 (40) Gold Dot 155 gr. @ 1,134 = 442# KE
    Glock 33 (357 Sig) Gold Dot 125 gr. @ 1,315 = 480# KE

I put 225 rounds of .357 Sig ammo through my new G33 this past weekend. I also have a S&W .357 Mag. I didn't find the .357 Sig unmanageable at all.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I carry and shoot a 1911 Springer with Winchester Ranger .230 gr. and Speer Lawman ammo with no problem. Have also shot the .357 SIG through a Glock and find it a little snappier but very easy to handle.

My question is why change from a .45 to the .357? You have a proven man stopper already. Finding any .357 ammo in this area of NC is hard to impossible and you pay through the nose for it IF you do find it.

I'd stay with the old war horse, unless you're trying to penetrate automobile windows with the .357.

JMO, SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Just and anecdotal observation.

I went on a quest to buy just a few box’s of .45 this last weekend and after 4 places I gave up. Nobody I regularly go to for ammo had any, including large chains and small gun shops.

However every single one of them had at least a few boxes of .357 Sig, some even have a few cases.

I am sure it won’t last long, but at least for the moment and in my area during this ammo rush the “odd duck” .357 Sig round is a lot easier to find.

It made me want to buy one :)
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Actually, just after qualifying with a .22 for my CHP at the range, my instructor let me fire off some rounds with his personal carry gun. It was a Sig Sauer (of course!), I want to say it was a P229? Definitely in .357Sig, because the other 3 instructors were like "woah, Bunny, wait a second! Just put ONE in the chamber until you know you can handle the recoil."

(They must have forgotten it was me they were talking to. lol!)

Anyhow, I shot off one round, and I honestly didn't feel as though the recoil was much different, if at all, from the Glock 9mm that I'd shot. Obviously it was not the same as shooting the little .22, but I'd also tried an H&K 45, and I really liked the feel of the .357Sig. I loaded the clip and finished off the rounds, and it was actually very comfortable.

Now I am a total noob, and female, with small hands, so take this for what it's worth. I just bought my very first gun, and it's a 9mm...but the only reason I went with 9mm and not .357Sig is that I was told it's almost impossible to find .357Sig ammo at this point. *shrug*

It might also be worth mentioning that at the point I was testing out all the different calibers, I was mostly --but not completely-- recovering from some major wounds in my right hand, so I was --I think-- probably a bit more sensitive to recoil.

Hope that helps!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    The .357 Sig does kick less than a .45 or a 40 when fired from comparable guns, Glock 32 vs 23
    I've got all of them, but rather than just give my opinion here are typical recoil impulse comarisons from Stopping Power.
    9mm 115 gr. = .59
    9mm 124 gr. = .62
    357 Sig. 125 gr. = .76
    40 S&W 180 gr. = .78
    45 acp 185 gr. = .82
    40 S&W 165 gr. = .84 (like Golden Saber or Winchester SXT)
    45 acp 230 gr. = .87
    The numbers don't really capture the perceived recoil of shooting the gun. For example, most folks find that .45 has an easier recoil than the .40. The .45 is more of a push, while the .40 is a lot more 'snappy'.

As far as the .357 SIG goes, it's about on a par with the .40. One contributer to a grater perceived recoil may be how noisy it is, rather than how much the gun moves. Compared to .45 and .40, the .357 SIG is noticeably louder.

I carry a P229 in .357Sig. The weight of the pistol balances the recoil very well. Most people complain about the noise, but I also shoot a 10MM so I'm used to it!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

It is very loud compared to others I think....But it is a gun so whatever. I thik it is somewhere in between a hot 9mm and a .40 in recoil. It definitely is not unmanageable. If you can find one for a decent deal and can find ammo ...go for it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Wow... a lot of gun counter goofiness going on in this thread.

First, the percieved recoil is created by a lot more than the caliber. More importantly is the physical design on the pistol and factors like weight, balance and bore axis. You are going to get a lot more percieved recoil out of a light weight 9mm with a high bore axis than you ever will with a 357 Sig with a better designed or heavier gun.

Of course, shooter technique is the biggest and most important factor. A shooter with poor skills is going to have an issue with recoil, no matter the caliber or pistol.

Also, the 45ACP has a different type of recoil than a 40S&W or 357 Sig. I guess its a matter of preference or perception, but I find the good old 45ACP to be a mild recoil, but I don't care for the snappier 40S&W in a light weight pistol. The ACP is more of a push, where the 40 is a snappy, more of a pop... the 357 is that snap and pop with a little more umpf.

Now, on to the question. The 357 Sig is a fantastic SD round. I can only speculate and add more own experiences with the round about why it never really caught on. The absolute best 357 Sig pistol I've shot was a 226. It handles great, and if it were not for the fireball and sharp crack of the report, I'd have a hard time telling the difference between it and a hot 9mm load.
    If you are concerned with recoil, I'd stay away from the poly guns like the Glocks, HK's and XD's. All have a little more recoil due to weight and bore axis.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Some1Any1 View Post
    Does anyone know anything worth listening to about buying a .357 SIG? I have been wanting one since I started shooting. I was looking at a Glock some years ago and was told by a Glock rep that it would be too much for me. Probably because I was a newbee at the time. I shoot a .45 ACP now, so I am not afraid of some power. Is it worth my time, or just buy another .45? I really need advice. Preferably from people that have shot .357 SIGs and .45 ACPs please.
    I've owned one and loved it ,but it was too expensive for
    me to feed . I've switched to all 9MM now to get more
    range time.plus I handle and shoot the 9mm better
    If I were you I would stick with the .45s
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links