CPL on its way...need help with gun selection.

This is a discussion on CPL on its way...need help with gun selection. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently applied for my CPL and am now looking for a small carry gun. I currently own a full size S&W M&P 9, which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CPL on its way...need help with gun selection.

CPL on its way...need help with gun selection.

I recently applied for my CPL and am now looking for a small carry gun. I currently own a full size S&W M&P 9, which I love, but I think that is too large to comfortably carry everyday. I work in an office setting, so I often need to wear dress pants and tuck my shirt in. I've been very seriously considering the SIG P232 or the Bersa Thunder 380 CC. I've also considered the Kal-Tec P3AT, Kahr P380, or Ruger LCP. I've even considered the Ruger LCR or a S&W J-frame. I'd like peoples input and advice and the reasoning behind their decisons. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Springfield XD-9 SC is pretty easy to conceal and comfortable.

IMHO.. Nothing beats pocket carry with a Kel-tec P3AT... You do not even know it is there.

Jeans, shorts even a pair of baggies... they just swallow it up.

The reason I said Kel-Tec is because I have ownd one since they came out and have over 2500 rds they it with NO problems.

The Ruger (Nice copt of the Kel-Tec) would probaly do the same, but I do not own one, they were recalled a few months back also.
    02PSD4ME

Those may all be adequate carry guns, but why not go with a larger caliber? Many pistol makers offer sub-compact pistols in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 acp. Whatever you decide, only carry quality ammo.

The gun, either pistol or revolver, is simply a bullet launcher. Once it leaves the muzzle, it's all about bullet performance. Speer makes a Gold Dot bullet engineered for short barrel pistols. They are designed to penetrate and expand from shorter barrels, where standard ammo may not, because of the loss of pressure from short barrels.

There are options for carry you may wish to consider. There are many ankle holsters, thunder-wear, belly bands, Smart Carry, etc. I work in a coat and tie office environment, carrying a full size (issue) .40 S&W under my coat, but also carry a J-frame back-up in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Administrator
    If it were me in your situation, I'd go with the Kahr PM9, or a J frame. The KelTecs also disappear very nicely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When discretion or comfort is of the utmost importance, my P3AT does the job....absolutely disappears easily....the belt clip is a great accessory. It's also great for wearing around the house when in sweats or something that would pull down easily...loaded, it weighs about as much as a loaded xd mag. (not scientifically weighed...)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If you are going to tuck your shirt in, look at a smart carry. It might just meet your needs. You can carry a 9mm just as easy s a 380 in it. Also a 380 while better then nothing might make you feel under gunned but like I said it is better then nothing and I carry one every now and then. I also have a LCP that i carry in a pocket holster no problem. Since you are new at this I would like to offer you a bit of advise. Do not spend a lot of money until you really figure out what you want. What you think you want today might be completely different in a month. I know from experience.

Good luck
    Charlie

Something small in .38 or 9mm

I'd go with an airweight S&W J frame .38 like the model 642, or a 9mm Kahr like the PM9, MK9, P9, or K9. The mode of carry is personal preference, but could include pocket, tuckable IWB, ankle or equivalent.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I reccomend any of the three in my signature. My Kel Tec is with me most of the time because of the small size and easiest to conceal.
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If it were me in your situation, I'd go with the Kahr PM9, or a J frame. The KelTecs also disappear very nicely.
    +1 that Pf-9 has my attention and the LCP is a probably. i wdef. would look at the PM9 though... it is the top of my pocket pistol list.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The KelTec P-3AT is the perfect pocket pistol...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 02PSD4ME View Post
    IMHO.. Nothing beats pocket carry with a Kel-tec P3AT... You do not even know it is there.

Jeans, shorts even a pair of baggies... they just swallow it up.

The reason I said Kel-Tec is because I have ownd one since they came out and have over 2500 rds they it with NO problems.

The Ruger (Nice copt of the Kel-Tec) would probaly do the same, but I do not own one, they were recalled a few months back also.
    Dito------I have both LCP and Kel-Tec, those size guns make the whole carry thing much easier.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I carry my BUG (Ruger LCP) as a primary when I am wearing elastic band athletic shorts. Can't tell it's there and it doesn't pull down the shorts. The perps can't tell it is there either.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

I find the M&P 9c easy to carry....That being said the PPS is a really nice and slim package, the kel-tec pf-9 is also another nice priced pistol.

Based on your listed options, I would carry a S&W j-frame. Reasons:

1) I prefer a more powerful round than the .380, so all the .380's would be out for me, and

2) the LCR hasn't been out long enough to develop a history, and it's probably more expensive than a regular j-frame. The S&W j-frames have a long and generally reliable history, and you can buy a new one for around $400. I prefer the .38+P over the .380.

A j-frame will also give you lots of options for carry.

Other options:

M&P9 compact in a SmartCarry. If you aren't comfortable with that, perhaps the same gun with a safety. This gun would give you mag and platform compatibility with your M&P9.

Keltec PF-9. A little bigger than the P3AT, but certainly concealable. If I can conceal a 9mm, I prefer doing that rather than carrying a .380.

How do you plan to carry? If whatever you choose doesn't conceal well in the pocket, you might consider a SmartCarry, even for the smaller guns. If you wear it low as designed, it doesn't point at anything of value. A SmartCarry also offers great protection against accidental or purposeful bumps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links