9 mm Revolver question

This is a discussion on 9 mm Revolver question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of getting a 9 mm revolver possibly the Charter Arms when they come out for my wife. She is VERY recoil sensitive so I'm ...

Thread: 9 mm Revolver question

9 mm Revolver question

Thinking of getting a 9 mm revolver possibly the Charter Arms when they come out for my wife. She is VERY recoil sensitive so I'm asking is their any low power 9mm ammo like the 38 special wadcutters around. I would like to keep my caliber's all alike. Have a few different 9mm handguns. The price of 38 is nearly double the cost of 9mm in the local Wal Mart.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They are pretty rare but you could start calling around some gun shops and see if any have a S&W 940 J-Frame Centennial in 9mm - There is only one (like new in box) on Gunbroker.

Here is the auction: Smith & Wesson 940 9mm Revolover LNIB : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

You need the Full Moon clips for it though. Some of those on GB also.

I think ruger used to make one. I think federal and hornady have some reduced recoil loads.

VIP Member
    S&W used to make a K frame model 10 equivalent called the 547. They were made from 1980 to 1985. They didn't use clips at all. They were made for the Israeli's who wanted to arm the Palestinian police with revolvers instead of semis. After Israel cancelled the order, they went on sale to the public. Probably still a bunch of these floating around.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I own a 940, and I'd rather have a used 940 or SP101 than a new Charter Arms.
    Why not let her pick a gun she's comfortable with? Do some rentals at a range maybe or find someone who can let her try some different models. If she's got to carry it, better to let her pick the one she wants. There isn't a lot of difference in recoil between the 9 and .38 anyway.

Free recoil energy of a 148gr .38 load in a J frame is 5.3 ft/lbs at .7 lb/sec
    Free recoil energy of a 115gr non +p 9mm in a J is 5.5 ft/lbs at .7lb/sec

Doubtful you could feel any difference.

A 9mm 147gr subsonic gives 7.6 ft/lbs at .8lb/sec in the same gun. I'm sure you could feel the difference there. Had to make some assumptions on snub velocity and charge weights and such.

If you try a .22LR Taurus (and I'm not saying it's a good first choice for SD, just something to think about) You get less than one ft/lb at .2lb/sec. Going to the super light J frame .22mag gives about 1.6 ft/lbs at .3lb/sec of recoil energy. With the .22s, you can afford to shoot more for the same money, and the recoil is totally mild. This will mean she can learn to hit what she aims at and 7 or 8 or 9 .22s or .22mags hitting are better than one miss with a .38 that causes a flinch. Especially if she doesn't practice with the .38 because it's expensive and / or not fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    Thinking of getting a 9 mm revolver possibly the Charter Arms when they come out for my wife. She is VERY recoil sensitive so I'm asking is their any low power 9mm ammo like the 38 special wadcutters around. I would like to keep my caliber's all alike. Have a few different 9mm handguns. The price of 38 is nearly double the cost of 9mm in the local Wal Mart.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    The Charter Arms revolver is going to be flying out the door when it comes out later this year. While the Smith & Wesson 547 revolver is a neat gun, I doubt she really would like to carry around a 4" or 3" barrel revolver. Not that practical.

Now . . . if you think she'd like a revolver, you might want to have her try out a 2 1/2" barrel J-frame (not the <2" J-frame in scandium that I have). The slightly heavier J-frames are great little shooters with manageable recoil. You think .38 special ammo is expensive? Just need to know where to look! Widener's has Prvi Partizen 158 grain LRN at $13.90/50. Just took delivery yesterday and went to the range today. This is great stuff! I would also suspect that the soft lead nose would act much like a semi-wadcutter if it was to hit body tissue.

Reg

Maybe it's just me but I've always thought Winchester Silvertips (115 or 124gr, I forget which) had the least amount of recoil compared to similar loads from other makers. I use to use them in my .44 mags because they were softer shooting too.
    Jack

Links