So, I picked up a "J" Frame....

This is a discussion on So, I picked up a "J" Frame.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a couple wheel guns, one a .38 Taurus with CT lasergrips that lives with my wife in her center console (I know, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I picked up a "J" Frame....

So, I picked up a "J" Frame....

I've got a couple wheel guns, one a .38 Taurus with CT lasergrips that lives with my wife in her center console (I know, I know, I keep telling her), one .357 that's in my daughter's upstairs dresser drawer. But I didn't have my own yet, 'til now.

I found a S&W Model 36 snubbie at the local pawn, all beat to heck with a fair amount of bluing worn and some wannabe Hogue grips on her. Has a little bent spot (dunno the anatomical name-the fanned out spot lateral to the frame just behind the cylinder), just not been shown a lot of love. Serial number J10XXX, so I'm thinking it's a 1969 model. Nothing special, maybe. Got it for $225.

Gameplan is to call a gunsmith who I do a little trading with, and get some work done on her, straighten up the bent spot, reblue, and try to find a pair of wooden grips that will fit. Then have to find a suitable holster...

Anyhow, now I need some feedback on holsters (ankle, maybe? either that, or IWB) and which rounds the J frame can take...

2. Remove Ads

The Smith & Wesson Model 36, with it's heavier steel frame and hammer which allows single action capabilities, is my favorite J-Frame.

The last time I packed it I had an opportunity to shoot a skunk at some distance with my revolver and appreciated the capability to cock the revolver and make use of the fine single action trigger.

I have a British made IWB holster for mine. It works well but is of very thick leather. I use +P 158 grain lead SWCs in all my .38 Special guns including my Chief's Special which is the same gun before it was designated the Model 36. My revolver is 17 years older than yours and shoots fine with the +P.

I tried an ankle rig years ago but never liked it. It didn't retain the gun in position very well. I'd like to hear what others have found in ankle holsters.

They are even great for pocket carry. One learns to cover the hammer spur with the thumb while drawing and it becomes a natural movement.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    While you have it at the Smith - have him send it out and get it Satin or Matte Hard Chromed instead of reblued. It's a great indestructible finish for a carry gun.

Then...a nice, new set of grips and you're good to go.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Congrats on the J,
    grips: Ahrends Grips : Ordering - Pricing
    ammo, my preference is Cor-Bon DPX 110 grain
    and yep, covering the hammer with the thumb on the draw is a natural movement, once you learn it you never forget it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I think the "bent spot "is supposed to be there!

That 36 is a classic...I would put mine in a Kramer Pocket Holster. They are a very well made rig, IMHO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    I agree. If it looks like this, it's supposed to be there.
    Attached Images
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

I carry my J- frame in a comp-tac, c-tac IWB. Very comfortable. I tried ankle carry and hated that big lump on my leg. The c-tac is the bomb, I love it. As far as ammo I carry Federal hydra-shock 129g JHP or 110g low recoil for the wife. Good luck with your new piece.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Administrator

Post Are You Talking About THAT "Bent" Spot Behind The Cylinder?

(See PIC Below)

If so...then Yes, that is supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post

LOL, yeah, I figured it out a couple hours ago! Obviously not a wheel gun guy, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it until getting home, and figured out that it wouldn't work to push the cylinder back in without the "bent spot." Lots to learn here...

Good news is, the mechanics are sound. The barrel doesn't look bad at all, but there was some rust when I pulled off the el cheepo rubber grips (that said Rossi, btw). So, definitely will have to see about rebluing or some other coating/surfacing.

Anyone know anything about this company?

CCR-REFINISHING

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Send the Smith back to S&W for refinishing. You'll swear you have a new gun when it comes back. Nobody does it bettter,that I have seen.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

1943 - 2009
    Serial number J10XXX, so I'm thinking it's a 1969 model.
    1969 is correct.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

ankle holster ,,i would get a galco. they hold the j-frame better than others. i use the clip draw belt clip on my model 36 and model 60. works better than any holster. you can "bobbed" the hammer and/or find a factory "bobbed". they just drop in, real easy to do. and you still can fire the gun single action with the "bobbed" hammer. i cut the hammer myself on my model 36 and found a factory "bobbed" hammer for my model 60. both of my j-frames are old, around 1970 time frame. i use +p+ ammo with no problems. but for range days i use 148 gr wad cutter. shoot very little +p+ for the feel. speed loaders and spped strips are the best way to carry extry ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

J frame fan

I'm also fond of J frames, as they seem the perfect small carry gun with excellent reliability. The steel models are easier to shoot, but the airweights with aluminum frames certainly carry more easily. I like pocket carry in a Desantis Nemesis holster with the model 642 shown below.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'm also fond of J frames, as they seem the perfect small carry gun with excellent reliability. The steel models are easier to shoot, but the airweights with aluminum frames certainly carry more easily. I like pocket carry in a Desantis Nemesis holster with the model 642 shown below.

I wanna see how many gun safes you have POGO...I'm always jealous.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links