Anyone have two of the exact same gun? - Page 5

Anyone have two of the exact same gun?

This is a discussion on Anyone have two of the exact same gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArmyCop Anyone have two of the exact same gun? Like two Taurus PT145's - two Glock 22's - or whatever??? Not the ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone have two of the exact same gun?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Anyone have two of the exact same gun?

Like two Taurus PT145's - two Glock 22's - or whatever???

Not the full size and compact - but the exact same - two each?

Just curious about this.

Thanks in advance.
    2 Taurus 1911's

Rexster - compliment

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Besides being eminently practical, two identical or nearly-identical weapons surely helps the budget. They can share the same pool of magazines and same holsters, and a stash of replacement parts can be simplified, though of course, things like springs must be replaced at proper intervals for each individual weapon. Specialized tools can be shared. Ever priced a sight pusher? Even little things like ammo gauges and special screwdrivers are economized if they can be shared by several weapons.

Ammo can be more economical in quantity, too, though in today's ammo climate, if a guy is using one of the scarcer cartridges, that can also be a problem.

It has become quite normal for serious students to show up for training classes with spare weapons. If one weapon goes down, there is no need to fall behind, or hold up everyone else, while diagnosing/fixing a problem. Plus, on a lunch break, or on the way back home or to a hotel for the night, there can be a clean weapon to carry. In these circumstances, the spare weapon need not be identical, or even similar, but simplicity is good, regardless. Plus, if you have just paid several hundred dollars for a class, a spare weapon is an insurance policy against weapon breakdown.

While I have not had a weapon break during a class, I did pull a non-identical backup weapon to finish a course of fire one time, when my Glock told me it did not like the 180-grain I had purchased for the class. (The slide would lock open when the bullet noses engaged the slide stop; it had never happened with my usual 165-grain duty, carry, or practice ammo.) This class was run on the hot range concept, BTW, and if we carried a concealed backup in real life, we were not discouraged from doing so in the class.

Back to holsters for a moment. I have rather expensive tastes in leather now, and it can be a lot easier to justify purchasing a custom holster when I know it will fit several of my weapons, instead of just one.

Lastly, there is familiarity. Many guys have a number of handguns they carry, some even speaking of such thing as a "carry rotation." While I am not a strict "one gun" type of guy, I did finally listen to one of my mentors, and stick to one type of gun for a while, which was 1911 pistols, from 1997 to 2002, and noticed that my skill level rose when I set aside by DA revolver "fun" guns for a while. I had been shooting 1911s since 1983, but until I concentrated on the 1911, I never shot them up to my full potential.

These days, I have found that I can mix my P229 autopistols and certain medium-frame revolving pistols with good results; practice with one being beneficial to shooting performance with all the others, as they point the same and have similar trigger pulls. As much as I lust for a SIG P245, well, they point low for me, and I got away from Glocks because the trigger stroke is different. Some guys disregard such little things. I used to do so myself, but no longer. Mike, my shooting/policing mentor, was right.
    Rexster - I think you have stated some telling points in your discussion. I started shooting dbl action revolvers years ago and also had the Ruger .22 auto. I always found that I performed better if I concentrated on one system.

In later years I have decided to standarize (sortof). We have Glock G34's for our competition shooting, Glock G17 for HD, and Glock G26's for EDC. I have noticed that myself and particulary my wife have only one system and the familiarization really helps with our shooting and also really helps with my wife's confidence. She just wants to shoot and not have to worry about which system she has. I have found the Glocks to be the best for us because there are no external safeties or decocking levers to worry aobut. She use to have the Sig 232 which has the decocker and she had some issues with FTE so she never did have any confidence in the gun. We traded it for the G26 and she has never had an issue with it. It works every time for her.

I feel alot more confident that in the event my wife or my self ever need to defend our lives there will be no hesitation and concern about which gun we have.

By my signature you see that I do have a couple of other guns, but these are regulated to the safe and for fun shooting with the family, with the exception of the S&W 642 which I use when I can't carry the G26.
    My collection: Glock G34, G34OD, G17, G26, G26; Ruger KP90; Ruger Blackhawk .357mag; Ruger Standard Auto; Sig P6; Colt Lawman MKIII .357 snub; S&W 642; Hawes Montana Marshal .44mag

i apply to the thinking that if you train with what you carry, then motor muscle memory will be immediate and accurate. i carry a walther pps and have another pps for the range and tinkering (sights, grips, lasers, etc...)

i have gotten used to the controls and mag changes are a cinch! i also agree that it cuts down on holsters, mags, and mag holders... i have a custom sharkskin OWB (i know, don't laugh that i carry the pps OWB) leather holster, and it keeps it where i need it everytime.

it can get hot here in FL, but i dress accordingly to make sure that i have good concealment. it was tough at first, but eventually i developed a good wardrobe for ccw... and thanks to underarmor and 5.11 i stay pretty cool while carrying...lol
    "the only reason for a sidearm is to fight your way back to the rifle you were using..." -the gunny

Did have 2 Ruger P89's. I also had a P95. All of the magazines would interchange, quite helpful.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Several.....2 CZ 52's, 3 CZ82's, 2 1895 Nagant revolvers, 2 S&W Model 10's. I have several milsurp rifles of the same model/type like Mausers, Finn M39's, Mosin Nagant's, Lee Enfields, Swiss K31's.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I'm a big believer in multiples of the same gun and caliber and sharing mags.
    Currently have 1 G21SF (13 round mags.)
    2 G30SF's and a 3rd one on order (superb accuracy and they can use spare G21 mags for back up.
    Usually carry both G30's or the G21SF and the G30SF for my BUG.
    Next yr. I'll pick up another G21SF so I'll have 2 of them as well.
    Good luck, and stay safe!
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Soon hopefully. I have a 2nd generation G19 that I would like to put out of the line up. It was my first Glock and it was issued to me by the NYPD. I want to pick up a 3rd gen to add to the line up. Possibly in OD green.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have two Glock 19's. I also have conversions slides and barrels for them. .22 and .40.

One "benefit", yet to be mentioned, of a matching identical weapon to one you carry, is this.

If the worst happens, and you get involved in a shooting, regardless of your status (LEO, non-LEO, etc.), one of the FIRST things that will happen is your pistol/revolver will be taken for evidence/examination. It could be months, even years, before you see it again.

The old mantra "Two is one, one is none" means more than just a spare for if one breaks, etc.

VIP Member
    Yes
    Two Colt Detective Specials
    Two S&W M19s
    Three M-1 Garands
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2 Tauri

I do have 2 Taurus model 85 revolvers: one purchased 6 or 7 years ago; the other inherited from a friend who passed away 4 years ago.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links