Browning Hi-Power For Carry

This is a discussion on Browning Hi-Power For Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought this one to carry and am going to get a trigger job by Teddy Jacobsen. Carrying Corbon +P 115 grain DPX and am used ...

Thread: Browning Hi-Power For Carry

Browning Hi-Power For Carry

Bought this one to carry and am going to get a trigger job by Teddy Jacobsen. Carrying Corbon +P 115 grain DPX and am used to a single stack 45 Commander. Think this is enough?

2. Remove Ads

Great buy, and yes, it is enough! I love mine, and carry it often.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I'm a recent convert to the High Power.

I carry a Practical in .40 off duty. I used it at L.F.I. 1 and loved it. I've come to like the High Power over the 1911 for various reasons. Congrats on what I consider the best metal frame fighting handgun of three generations.

Biker

I have never shot a Hi Power but I love the look. Nice find
    2A is not negotiable

Those are a very nice gun...it is on the list of "classics" I want in my inventory some day.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead55 View Post
    Bought this one to carry and am going to get a trigger job by Teddy Jacobsen. Carrying Corbon +P 115 grain DPX and am used to a single stack 45 Commander. Think this is enough?
    That load should serve you just fine. No handgun period feels as good in the hand and points as naturally as the Hi Power. Another Browning classic.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The Hi-Power will serve you well in either 9mm or 40 cal. I don't know of any handgun that points more naturally or is more reliable--factors that make it a wonderful carry weapon. Love it as much as my SIG 229.

I carried mine when I lived in Michigan,. Out here I cannot conceal it right without a coat or heavy shirt on,. So I had to downsize,...

Keep in mind (you mentioned getting a trigger job done),.. IF you ever have to use that weapon after you have the trigger job done in self defense,. Even if your not convicted of criminal charges,. You'll normally get a lawsuit against you in civil court and they will use your "trigger guard" against you.,. For just shooting,. Do it,,. For carry,. Don't..

TuxAZRider:

Great point. Makes me want to cary my DA H & K 45 C or will they say I was carrying a "combat gun?"

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I carried mine when I lived in Michigan,. Out here I cannot conceal it right without a coat or heavy shirt on,. So I had to downsize,...

Keep in mind (you mentioned getting a trigger job done),.. IF you ever have to use that weapon after you have the trigger job done in self defense,. Even if your not convicted of criminal charges,. You'll normally get a lawsuit against you in civil court and they will use your "trigger guard" against you.,. For just shooting,. Do it,,. For carry,. Don't..
    JMO. Have the trigger job done by a reputable gunsmith (Novak, Cylinder & Slide or Accurate Plating & Weaponry) and keep the pull at 4.5 - 5.5 lbs and it should not be an issue if it was justifiable use of force in a court of law. Entirely different in civil court where they can sue you for using an ancient .357 S&W "Combat Magnum", which is to this day is a great SDW. Don't know your GS's name, but the others have always done me right. Put a hair trigger on it and you are asking for trouble.

Highly recommend you install a Cylinder & Slide extended thumb safety with the trigger job. Makes a world of difference with the ease of operation.

Thats why EVERY state should adopt the "Castle Doctrine"!!! Keeps the hood and his family from being able to sue you after defending your life.

SG
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; May 13th, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yup.....I had one when I lived in Washington in the 70's....fit nice under my pea coat.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Thanks.

I was going to get Teddy Jacobsen of Sugarland, Texas to do it and put right at 5 pounds on it. He puts his "mark" on the gun if you want it but I might pass. He does the triggers for Houston cops, DEA, etc.
    Crusty old guy but I like him.

I think a "Trigger Job" by a reputable Gunsmith, and Teddy Jacobson certainly is that, within factory specs should be OK.

The key words are "should be." I myself have left my Primary High Power stock in the trigger and internal parts department, but I shoot it OK. I have changed the sights to facilitate seeing them better and added a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

As far as the guy in Tucson saying the High Power is too big to conceal. I was in southern AZ today and I managed to hide a High Power and a J-Frame as a BUG wearing a Camp Shirt and Cargo Shorts. In fact I was in Tucson last night for a party with some friends that work for Raytheon. Nobody tumbled on to the fact that I was armed.

Not to "hijack" the thread, but good gear makes all the difference in the world.

Biker

I wish that the Hi power came in a 45 acp cartridge

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post

Teddy Jacobson does not do the type of trigger job that will get a guy in trouble, at least not in Texas. He does action work for carry guns, not target triggers. There is a difference.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 14th, 2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo

Links