What to buy???

What to buy???

This is a discussion on What to buy??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I know this is very early to ask and feel things out, but I want to take my time and do it right. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to buy???

What to buy???

Well I know this is very early to ask and feel things out, but I want to take my time and do it right. My wonderful Girlfriend (who I have gotten interested in shooting WOOHOO) told me that since I am turning the big 30 this year I get $500 for my Birthday and Christmas to help to buy myself a new handgun since she pretty much took my xd 9mm subcompact from me. haha Well that starts my entire problem believe it or not. You see I'm not sure exactly what I want. A long while back I sold my Kimber Ultra Carry II 45 auto (HUGE MISTAKE!!). I really miss my Kimber but don't miss paying for 45 Auto ammunition (next to impossible to find now and more expensive than 9mm). My Girlfriend is going to get a Springfield EMP in a 9mm so I don't really want one of those (would prefer to have a different gun than her). I like small subcompact reliable guns. I prefer night sights and also prefer short trigger pulls (such as 1911 style). I'd like to hear everyone's suggestion. Please remember I work for a living a $3000 Wilson Combat is out of my budget. I am looking for something around $1200 or less (of coarse I prefer less haha)
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thought about a .41mag revolver? I can find that ammo pretty easy and somewhat cheap. Sizes vary a little bigger then Jframe to fullsize.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I wouldn't base my pistol choices on today's ammo prices as things (prices, availibility, etc.) could change overnight for a number of reasons.
    If you liked your Kimber, then I would go with what you are comfortable with...a Kimber in .45.
    Now if you really like compact .45 and you can break away from the 1911 platform...pick up the Glock-36...just try it in your hand.

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra EDC, but I sometimes use my G-36...both are easily concealable.
    OMO..we all make choices.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With $1200 (or less) as your price range, you'll have lots of choices. Glock 36 suggested above is a great gun. You might also want to look at a Sig P220, they have several size guns in that model to choose from.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

You may want to take a look at a P7. Nice trigger, fairly compact, accurate & reliable.

Also, retsupt's suggestion of the G36 is one I'd agree with.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Nothing like a new Kimber but I love by H&K P2000SK too. I forget its there at 4:00 sometimes
    2A is not negotiable

That HK p7 is a World Class gun...I also think that the CZ P-01 and PCR are very nice guns. If you want light reliable and feels very good in the hand...the Kahr P9 and PM9 would be considered by me...or thier big brother the K9 or T9.
    Of couse there is always a Glock 19....my perosnal choice...since I carry a 23.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If you want a different compact 1911 S&W makes one or there is the double action Paras. I like the glock 36 too. If I wouldn't have gotten my SP 101 for such a good deal then I would have seriously looked at a glock 36.

Also you might check out the Springfield XD's. They have a compact and subcompact model too.

I'd go Glock. I'll be carrying my G22, once my permit arrives. I'm a <strike>fat</strike> <strike>husky</strike> body-builder body type, so a full-size works for me, pretty easily. I've considered the G23 or the G27 (all three are .40S&W), but I've got large hands, and they just aren't comfortable to shoot.

Glock's website suck for linking to, since they use frames, but check out http://glock.com and click 'Pistols' at the top, then 'Models' on the left menu that comes up. The G22 is a dream to shoot, and it's dead-simple to use.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Buy a Glock 19 or 26 and spend the money you saved on ammo and training.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    If you want a different compact 1911 S&W makes one or there is the double action Paras. I like the glock 36 too. If I wouldn't have gotten my SP 101 for such a good deal then I would have seriously looked at a glock 36.

Also you might check out the Springfield XD's. They have a compact and subcompact model too.
    he said his GF took his XD9sc

you said you didn't want the same gun as the GF....I have to ask...why not? think about this.....get another XD9sc, you already have shot it and liked it..right? how bout get another one and you and the GF can share ammo and mags
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Go for the Kimber. You know if you don't you'll just be wishing you did. Since you don't want the EMP to get a 9mm 1911, then just stick with what you know you like. I'd LOVE to get ahold of one for myself. One gun shop here had one and it was all I could do not to put it on layaway...but it'd be there for some time.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

VIP Member
    I absolutely love my Sig P220R! It's the finest handgun I've ever shot. It is a great recommendation. However, if you like sub-compacts, it is much larger than a SC. I would recommend a Sig P239, or a P229. The P229 is not a SC but a very fine weapon, and the P239 is a single stack in .40s+w, .357sig, or 9mm. Sig makes the highest quality firearms, and has outstanding customer service should you ever need it. Take a look at those, you will not regret it!
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 13th, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: sp
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I absolutely, positively love my Sig P229. I have owned a Kimber Pro Carry in .45 but cannot shoot the .45 1911 because of some severe arthritis, so I'm limited to 9mm and the Sig is by far the greatest gun I've ever shot!!
    S&W 638 .38 :: Sig P229 :: Ruger MkIII :: VEPR K 5.45x39 AK-74 :: Mosin Nagant M44 :: Hi-Point 995 9mm (shoulder fired pistol)

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    he said his GF took his XD9sc

you said you didn't want the same gun as the GF....I have to ask...why not? think about this.....get another XD9sc, you already have shot it and liked it..right? how bout get another one and you and the GF can share ammo and mags
    they have .45 models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links